Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

My sensory experiences are far more intense compared with most persons. Can't explain it really, but I do have synesthesia, something is just wired differently. It can be quite overwhelming sometimes -mostly for what my senses consider negative musical input it can cause severe nausea and a throbbing headache that goes away very quickly after removing myself from the source.

2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I will listen to the disc again later today and let you know where I hear the clicking or popping distortion noises.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening this morning to Schoenberg. Pelleas und Melisande. Berliner Philharmonic conducted by von Karajan. DG LP 410 934 1. A Collector's Series reissue. I am inspired to revisit my Schoenberg collection as time allows.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 2 from "Dufay - Complete Secular Music" performed by The Medieval Ensemble Of London led by Peter Davies and Timothy Davies on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD, DeepFloyd11 and 2 others like this.
  5. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Disc 2. Symphony #2.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and J.A.W. like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 1 from "Grands Motets Francais" on Erato.

"Rameau - Les Grands Motets" performed by Les Arts Florissants led by William Christie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Haydn - 'Sun' Quartets 1-3" performed by the Chiaroscuro Quartet on BIS.

Alina Ibragimova [violin]
    Pablo Hernán Benedí [violin]
    Emilie Hörnlund [viola]
    Claire Thirion [cello]

[​IMG]

Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like Herman Prey and he is on a number of Bach DVD's by Karl Richter ... :righton:

vanhooserd likes this.
  9. coopmv

:edthumbs:

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

For me, the combination of performance/recording quality makes for a beautiful listening experience. Glad I bought it. :)

11. coopmv

William Christie and the late Alan Curtis are two American expats who have made really big names for themselves in HIP baroque performances in Europe and I have a good number of their recordings which I should find time to re-visit ...

bluemooze likes this.
  12. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I've only seen Hamelin live once, doing the Busoni piano concerto with the Buffalo Philharmonic at Carnegie Hall. I thought he was excellent, but I don't know if I'd care for him as much in the Rach 3 - he's definitely in his element with the late-romantic obscure stuff like Busoni and Alkan.

13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Thomas Tomkins - Above The Starrs" performed by Fretwork on Harmonia Mundi.

With:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby
    Catherine King
    Charles Daniels
    Donald Grieg
    Donald Wistriech
    Jonathan Arnold

[​IMG]

Mik likes this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

Good morning everyone! On the TT.....such a nice recording. It almost sounds like they are here in my living room.:tiphat:
    [​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I realize that your reactions are totally different than almost everyone else's. I was just pointing out that goosebumps are a common reaction.

I am a little envious of people who have synesthesia, although more RRB's version than yours. It's something I've only experienced a handful of times while taking hallucinogens. They were all colors and patterns and a couple were intense enough to make the world disappear.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  16. DeepFloyd11

Wow, that must have been quite overwhelming! I have never taken any kind of drugs (mostly because I have always been afraid of how it might affect my brain - having this weird wiring inside it) , but I know people who have and they mentioned that same explosion of colours and shapes.
    Last year I was in Strasbourg, France with my husband and youngest daughter. Coincidentally the city's Gothic cathedral celebrated it's 1000 anniversary. We did not know about this and were walking back to our hotel after dinner. Suddenly we heard loud music and as we stepped around the last corner I was confronted with this incredible light show projected all over the cathedral. I can't even begin to describe what it did to me. I totally felt I was floating up and down the facade with the music and the lights. It was as if my consciousness had left my body. It was probably like what happens to people when they take substances, but I did not even have a beer! Absolutely mindblowing. My family said I was like in a trance for quite a while.
    Anyway I found a YT video of it. The light-show was performed every night for a few months. We were there in September and it was very dark, very few people were there that night so we had a great view right in front of it. I wish I could re-live this over and over..... if you are going to watch the video, move to 1:24 where the show starts.... pretty amazing.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    bluemooze and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  17. DeepFloyd11

On the TT.....:love::love::love: :tiphat:
    [​IMG]

crispi, Mik, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  18. coopmv

I have this recording by the fabulous Emma as well ...

bluemooze likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

My listening room would be like an auditory torture dungeon for you. It kind of is for my wife who quickly departs when I play the music she does not like. :D

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Playing one of my favorites from the Romantic Piano series.....the Massenet in E flat. Anyone else have some of this series?

[​IMG]

Mik, bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Just arrived in time for ...

[​IMG]

... Royal Concertgebouw O's under Gatti tonight's concert in Athens with a tremendous program:

Richard Wagner 'Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg': Prelude
    Richard Wagner Götterdämmerung: Tagesgrauen, Siegfrieds Rheinfahrt, Siegfrieds Tod und Trauermarsch
    Gustav Mahler Symphony Nop. 10: Adagio (ed. Ratz)
    Alban Berg Three pieces for orchestra, op. 6

Hope to get it signed!

bluemooze likes this.
  22. DeepFloyd11

Awww that's too funny! What kind of music does she dislike?
    With me it's mostly dissonant classical that causes the physical illness. As for disliking....I like most music, but can't stomach Rap, Hip Hop, Reggeaton, Punk Rock and Speed Metal. I leave the room when my husband plays Black Sabbath with Ozzy (YUCK!), Curved Air, most of Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant's voice is like chalkboard scraping to me), thankfully he has thousands of LPs that I mostly love. :tiphat:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  23. Rose River Bear

I play a lot of heavy metal. I authored the Megadeth Album By Album Thread on this forum.
    I play my guitar very loud including Black Sabbath songs. That is when she leaves the house. I only play when she is out at this point.
    She dislikes the dissonant classical music also and tells me it gives her a headache. She dislikes Part, Penderecki, Ives, Riley and even Schoenberg.
    She pretty much dislikes the music you dislike as well. :)

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  24. coopmv

A very young Eschenbach with Karajan! :righton:

Not sure if I have this recording on CD as I have two DG boxes of Eschenbach but I definitely do not have this LP ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

I don't own a single recording of Eschenbach playing the horse teeth.