Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2016 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I love the artwork for Dave's 20. This year's art is my favorite so far. There's something about the cut n' paste 19th century motif that appeals to me.

It reminds me a bit of Mouse's work. For example:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Jerry Horne and budwhite like this.
  2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I like the artwork (and all the pretty colors) of all of this year's Dave's Picks releases. :thumbsup:

Bring on #20 and bring on next year's subscription ordering page! :pineapple:

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That one was pretty good. I liked Dave's 2 with the Raven. But I can live without surfing turtles, ice skating, hot air ballon flying or bicycling skeletons (although I had not made the Albert - no relation to Steve I presume - Hoffman connection), 0r whatever combination of rotgut and brown acid barfed colors all over DaP 13-16.

nitsuj and ronbow like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Dave's Picks 10 alligator and bonus disc artwork was more up my alley, but slipped my mind earlier. Alligators>skulls>ravens >skeletons NOT doing cutesy recreational activities (except on the King's Beach '68 poster>Cyclops skulls>skeletons doing recreational activities>dancing bears>turtles (ugh, I hope they all get snapped up by the gators). That's my general and highly personal artwork preference hierarchy. Roses too variable and context dependent to fit into any strict linear system.

5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I like all of them, also the recycled paper and booklets. They are an added value to us purchasing still physical products.

PhoffiFozz and Mr. H like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Was she there just for the last leg of the tour? Maybe this was in the returned stash also...

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My hunch was correct! I will stay away from any preview and wait for the official issue in all of its tarted up glory!?!?

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Of course, the Maples Pavilion show was on 9 February, not 2 February.

@Archtop- no need for nude starlets, just photos of all the gorgeous gals dancing at shows back in the 80's will convey the proper vibe.

9. Love the series. Hate recycled paper and booklets. For the price, I don't want biodegradable. I want forever. :uhhuh:

10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I confidently predicted a good '70s show with a PITB. For once it wasn't that.

I'm actually pretty excited about this. Dave's 80 from The Fox is one of my favourite of his Picks so I have confidence in him to have come up with another good one. There's always scope for some excitement with a Scarlet>Fire.

11. budwhite

I listened to China cat>Rider earlier. Pretty hot, really liked it . But what is Weir up to at the end of Rider.. dudes trippin?

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There's no consensus on the musical qualities of 12/9/81, some apparently love it, most opinions that I've read are more so-so about it (as am I). Sound quality for the '80's is excellent, though.

uzn007 likes this.
  13. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I was at the Indy show a few days earlier (12/5). Show was energetic but Jerry sounded pretty rough so on the fence about this one. First set looks more interesting than the second.

14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Ambitious statement! ;)

15. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

16. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

And confirmation that there will indeed be a 2017 subscription.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Complier

Complier Senior Member

It sounds like the bad is good and high hence the cover art.

Looking forward to this one.

18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I for one am glad that DL, albeit temporarily, is moving past the '70s. I'm definitely looking forward to this.

He sure gets distracted by fog, though.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

"I forgot my script" - got a good chuckle when he said that...

20. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I particularly like the 1967 references. I will be re-upping for 2017. It also sounds like they will not be releasing anything from cassette masters. At least not anytime soon.

GuidedByJonO))) and budwhite like this.
  21. budwhite

Is there anything else from the 80s that's not on cassette or multitracks?

22. I'll say, I was really hoping for a foghorn! :yikes:

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  23. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Didn't they record PCM to videotape at some point during '85? I seem to recall that Dick's Picks 21 was sourced from one. I think that after '88 or so shows were recorded to DAT. Correct me if I'm wrong, which I could very well be.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Yep...

"DP 21 was mastered from the original digital tapes, our earliest foray into the digital domain to date. The master tapes are Beta PCM cassettes, with stereo digital audio recorded on the video track. We've aimed to make this release sound as good as possible, and we feel we've succeeded. Hopefully you will agree. Enjoy."

25. budwhite

Are Beta and early DAT better than cassette?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.