Stylus setup or bad disk?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rut, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rut

Rut New Member Thread Starter

I'm just recently getting back into vinyl after pulling out my old Dual 721 TT (with AT Pro 14s stylus) that I bought new back in the late seventies. At the time I knew nothing about setting up a TT properly (and still not positive I'm doing it correctly now).

My question is that I can listen to one album (Led Zepellin IV) and it sounds fantastic. Then I put on Van Morrison's Moondance and I get distortion on the left side on some tracks. Does this indicate a setup issue or a bad album? Both discs are new from Amazon.

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

buy yourself a shure stylus force gauge
    and and a test record,
    this way is a positive way forward,
    you will have a lot more info at your
    disposal.

3. Rut

I have a stylus gauge and used that to set it at 1 gram. Is thetest record still necessary? What does a test record do for you?

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Can't find any info about this cart online. Is 1 gr the correct VTF ? Is your antiskating set properly ? Is the record that delivers just one channel OK the only one with that problem ?

5. Rut

Yes. I actually only have 4 lps at this time ( :) ) and this one is the only one doing this, and only on a couple of songs. The others sound fine albeit with above normal pops (compared to the others).

Yes I have the antiskating set to 1 also.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2016
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Huhm; maybe that particular record is defective, or your stylus is worn out. Any way to be sure about the aproximate number of hours that needle has on it ? It might be a good idea to start afresh with a replacement. That one is particularly expensive though

1gr is fine for a hiperelliptical (on average)

7. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

If in doubt between bad record or bad adjustment just put a weight of 0,5 to 1 gram on the headshell. If distortion vanishes your tracking force needs to be higher, if distortion stay's you can bet that you are playing a bad or even damaged record. (provided your needle isn't badly worn out)

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I used a Pro14s cartridge myself in the late 1970's. VERY sweet cartridge. It's actually a 4-channel cartridge with a Shibata stylus. I think you're tracking a little light, try 1.5 grams. Also, on an old cartridge the suspension might be getting stiff, which means a new stylus if you can find one.

The Seeker likes this.
  9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just two records isn't enough info, the Van Morrison record could be defective. Try playing more records, just spot plays, and get beck to us! Recheck your tracking force, also a visual check of the cantilever and stylus. The cantilever should be centered (no lean right or left) and no obvious visual misalignment of the stylus.

The Seeker likes this.
  10. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

ok.
    this is the way to proceed.
    if there is a range of tracking force.
    then lets say 0.75 - 1.5
    start at 0.75 and LISTEN at increments
    of .1.
    EG. 0.75, 0.85, 0.9, 1.0, 1.1, and so on.
    we are looking for the sweet spot where the bass becomes firmest,treble becomes smoothest without sibiliance
    if we go too heavy, treble becomes blunted in its delivery,bass can be bloated.
    when the sweet spot is found, take note.
    in future you can always restore setting
    if cartridge has to be removed..
    level the arm
    using a test record, ( Hi-Fi news)
    set bias.
    if you can pass band1 good
    if you can pass band2 excellent
    don, t worry too mich over bsnd3 or 4.

tracking weight should always be set this way. NOT by test record.
    the method i suggest should ensure excellent performance,
    the vta( srm levelling ) can if desired
    can be experimented with.
    If best performance is at upper range of data so be it.

11. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Increase tracking force to 1.5 grams. Turn anti-skate to zero. Report back.

Manimal and The Pinhead like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.