Dancing With The Stars

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

SizzleVonSizzleton is right again. Maureen got eliminated from the show yesterday.

2. MikaelaArsenault

Doesnt matter as long as the last 3-4 are the right ones left.[/QUOTE]

That won't happen. Now all the wrong ones are left.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Really?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

Yes. In my opinion.

5. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

[QUOTE="WhoseLineFan:That won't happen. Now all the wrong ones are left.[/QUOTE]
    Who do you think should have been the final four?

6. MikaelaArsenault

Who do you think should have been the final four?[/QUOTE]

Maureen, Laurie, Ryan, and Calvin. My backup would've been Jana.

7. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

Maureen, Laurie, Ryan, and Calvin. My backup would've been Jana.[/QUOTE]
    You've still got four out of five alive. Maureen, like Ryan, is just too stiff, content to pose while their partner does all of the work, imo.
    James, while not as good as Gilles Marini, is one of the best male contestants ever. I can't see anyone but Laurie beating him.

8. MikaelaArsenault

You've still got four out of five alive. Maureen, like Ryan, is just too stiff, content to pose while their partner does all of the work, imo.
    James, while not as good as Gilles Marini, is one of the best male contestants ever. I can't see anyone but Laurie beating him.[/QUOTE]

So Maureen didn't even do all the work and her partner did it instead?

9. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

So Maureen didn't even do all the work and her partner did it instead?[/QUOTE]
    She didn't do enough, and wasn't limber enough, again just my opinion. Same with Ryan. I really wish he was better, I love watching Cheryl Burke dance.

10. MikaelaArsenault

She didn't do enough, and wasn't limber enough, again just my opinion. Same with Ryan. I really wish he was better, I love watching Cheryl Burke dance.[/QUOTE]

I see. That makes sense to me.

Done A Ton likes this.
  11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

I agree that Ryan will go home next.

As far as the final, James & Laurie are locks.
    Terra, Calvin, & Jana each have their strengths as well as weaknesses, so it will come down to fan voting to decide who is out of those three.

12. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

She didn't do enough, and wasn't limber enough, again just my opinion. Same with Ryan. I really wish he was better, I love watching Cheryl Burke dance.[/QUOTE]

Ryan is the true surprise this season. Usually professional athletes have a little more body awareness -- well, except for some of the football players who have also been awkward on the dance floor. Ryan seems to just go through the motions, walking the steps instead of dancing. He just doesn't have much fluidity.

Many of the contestants this season have the same problem to some extent. Even some of the contestants who are generally praised seem a bit stiff and awkward. Laurie and James are the only consistently good performers this season.

13. shokhead

Yep, Her and Ryan are just a bit stiff and it shows when you see someone like Calvin, Jana or Laurie. I'm thinking because of the fan vote that Jana will be the first good one to leave. Only a guess.

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I wish they'd do a Dancing With The Pros season. I love to see a consistently great dancing program. I've watched the show pretty much since the beginning and am tired of the celebrity mediocre/poor dancing. I want to see Karina, Derek, Cheryl, Maks etc. dance against each other. Now that would be fun, exciting and artistic!

15. shokhead

I wouldn't think the pros would want to. I was thinking about some of these actors that have been doing long term commercials like the Allstate’s Mayhem commercials or Milana Vayntrub for AT&T.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I would suggest watching So You Think You Can Dance if you want to see a higher caliber of dancing. Not the earliest part of the season where there are still some admittedly mediocre dancers, but once it gets to the top 12 they are all fairly good. That's because the people competing on the show are attempting to become professional dancers; they aren't just a collection of celebrities (and pseudo-celebrities) who agreed to do a reality show.

If anything, I generally enjoy the dances on SYTYCD more because they are more varied. I particularly like some of the contemporary routines I've seen on the show. There are some very talented choreographers working on that show who come up with some very interesting routines with a lot of emotional depth. Emotional depth is extremely rare on Dancing With the Stars, which is mostly about flash and pizzazz.

17. MikaelaArsenault

Yep, Her and Ryan are just a bit stiff and it shows when you see someone like Calvin, Jana or Laurie. I'm thinking because of the fan vote that Jana will be the first good one to leave. Only a guess.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I see.

18. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes, watched SYTYCD lots. I Love dance but I'm tired of both shows formula.

19. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Sadly, SYTYCD went to a kids-dance competition format this past season. Didn't watch that, no interest.

20. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, it was a disappointing season overall. I found myself fast forwarding through most of it.

21. shokhead

FWIW

adar Online obtained paperwork from the reality show that reveals one celebrity was offered a base pay of $125,000 for participating in rehearsals, two weeks on the show (before the first elimination) and an appearance in the grand finale (in which all contestants, even those previously eliminated, perform). The letter also reportedly revealed celebrities who makes it past week two will receive money each week they stay in the competition, with a total of $345,000 up for grabs.

So, what does the winner receive other than a major payout? As previously reported, besides the coveted Mirror Ball trophy and an extra 15 minutes in the spotlight ... pretty much nothing! The “DWTS” winner does not get any additional prize money for winning the show, but, along with the second- and third-place finishers, walks away with the maximum payout.

Radar Online’s findings match up to a report regarding Season 21 winner Bindi Irwin’s “DWTS” paychecks. In November, TMZ found that Irwin’s contract stated she was due to earn $125,000 for starring on the show with the possibility of walking away with $360,000 if she made to the finale.

Well, this could be true since the pro dancers of "DWTS" were previously paid $1,000 per week. And in 2014, The Ballroom Dance Company revealed that the pros' pay was increased five times, and they were said to be earning $5,000 each week that they stayed in the competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Meanwhile, Examiner noted last year that each pro was earning $5,200, and even claimed that veterans like Derek Hough, Mark Ballas, Tony Dovolani and Karina Smirnoff bring home more than the other pro dancers.

The veterans are obviously enjoying their time on the show since it has become a very lucrative opportunity for them. Smirnoff's net worth has reportedly gone up to the $3 million mark all thanks to her participation on ABC's show.

"DWTS" Season 21 frontrunner Bindi Irwin's partner Derek Hough has also made it big in the show since he is now worth $4 million. According to GOBankingRates, Hough scored this big because his he has also branched out into acting.

On the other hand, Hough's sister, pro dancer cum judge Julianne also earned and continues to earn a lot form the show. Her other endeavors in the entertainment industry also helped her secure a $7 million net worth.

Meanwhile, Season 20's mirrorball trophy winner Val Chmerkovskiy has a net worth of $1.5 million. It's not clear if Artem Chigvintsev, Sharna Burgess, Allison Holker, Peta Murgatroyd also earn as much from "Dancing With The Stars," but they are surely paid more than enough by the series that has been nothing but generous to everyone.

22. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Last night's episode, I thought Marilu was over scored for her individual dance. Derek seemed to take a half step to begin before she followed, then she seemed to be being dragged around the floor for at least the first half. Derek mentioned in the package that he hasn't really been pushing her this season and I've noticed that all season; he seems a bit checked out, like he's trying but knows he's not going to win so he's coasting more than ever. Still a positive guy but noticeably distant.

Then though, I thought Marilu and Terra were underscored for their pairs dance.

And I thought they went way too easy on James for his individual dance. Julianne had the balls to say "you made a mistake but so what" or something to that effect. Uh, it's two weeks before the final, it's shameful to discard a mistake like it doesn't matter. Last week the judges criticised Terra for not upping her game, which I thought was BS as she was great last week with that dance where they were on the long table.

Also, this close to the finale, if you're going to convince me that the scores actually matter, is not the time to have guest judges.

I don't know how much was played for television but there was no way Sharna was ever going to dance this week and it's impossible to imagine her dancing the rest of the year.

23. shokhead

Don't see her dancing again either.
    Think it comes down to Indy vs gymnastics and gymnastics will get by a lot the fan vote imo. That said, Indy car has won before.

24. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

And with my usual caveat of 'if the fan vote even matters', forgetting about the amateurs for a minute I'm sure that Val has a lot more fans than Sharna. And with Sharna possibly gone, Val certainly has more fans than the woman now dancing with James; I don't even know her name which is indicative of how new she is.

25. shokhead

Very true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.