Is Black Sabbath Vertigos really better than WB's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael C, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael C

Michael C Active Member Thread Starter

Hi I'm new here. I recently bought Sabbath's first four on UK vertigo. S/T and Paranoid spaceship labels and MOR and Vol 4 spirals. I haven't received them yet, on their way. I've only ever had Paranoid on WB vinyl bought in the 80's and the rest on tapes WB also bought in 80's. I think they sound good, of course they're all I've ever heard. My question is are the Vertigos really going to blow my mind with how much better they sound like I've heard? And are the spaceships just as good as spirals? Sorry I'm sure this has been asked before.

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

3. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Yes.

Michael C and sathvyre like this.
  4. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

That is, if the UK Vertigo's are in clean playing condition. They're usually pretty expensive in Excellent+/ Near Mint condition.

But yes, I've never heard a US pressing of the first four Sabbath albums that had better mastering than the original UK's.

john lennonist and Michael C like this.
  5. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Yes.

Michael C and sathvyre like this.
  6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The original Warner greenies are really just too bass heavy in my experience.

Sounds like you had an 80's repressing of Paranoid and a bunch of cassettes, so I'm not sure you have the basis for much of a US vs. UK vinyl comparison.

I think you'll enjoy them. And yes, the spaceship pressings are also great.

Michael C likes this.
  7. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

2xUeL and Michael C like this.
  8. Michael C

Thank you all. I can't wait to hear them. The S/T and Paranoid where both from the same guy, claims he was only owner and that they're in excellent condition. MOR was pretty expensive. And the Vol4 wasn't cheap either. I'm hopeful they'll all be good. I know before they go on my turntable they'll be getting the VPI treatment from my local dealer.

9. plexi0

plexi0 Well-Known Member

I like both although vertigo pressings, not only of sabbath, but just about anything from 70's and 80's are premier presses

...Similar to UFO releases, I like both original green labels and first reissue blue labels. They have different sounds. So if you love sabbath its nice to have both. I've got a WB 4 that is awesome.

Michael C likes this.
  10. Michael C

I wonder why WB didn't use the same master. And with the Vertigos being so superior why haven't they been used for any of the reissues.

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

It's a matter of opinion that Vertigos are "superior," but unless they used the same metalwork, how would albums coming out in different parts of the world in the 70's use the same master? Master tapes weren't shipped around the world when copy tapes could be made and shipped.

As for your reissue question; there is no confirmed information to suggest that Universal holds superior tapes for all of the albums than those held by Warner.

john lennonist likes this.
  12. Michael C

Thanks Tim I didn't know that they just sent tapes back then and not a master disc cut at same time.

13. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

So, whats your opinion on your Vertigos compared to the other versions you own?

Michael C likes this.
  14. Michael C

I absolutely love the Vertigos. My go to copies now. I don't think I'll be listening to any other versions from now on. I think all the instruments are well defined with space around them. An Ozzy seems right in the center. I noticed that Tony and Ozzy are not so in your face on the Vertigos but on the same level with Bill and Geezer. Drums and Bass sound fantastic. My friend described the sound on Paranoid by saying sounds like they're just jamming in the same room with us. All are UK presses so I can't speak to other countries Vertigos. Iam extremely happy with them. Also picked up SBS and Sabotage on WWA and NEMS respectively. Also sound incredible.

Shawn and razorball like this.
  15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The early US's, especially those from Artisan mastering, certainly aren't bad sounding. I actually prefer them to some of the late 70's UK NEMS which are a bit thin or light sounding in comparison. Been many years since I did a comparison however. The US's have a slight veiling to their presence, typical of using a higher generation tape, but the mastering is generally pretty good and they are pretty robust sounding. Besides, the US side 2 tracks of the debut makes it a unique album.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Darn tootin they are.

17. Michael C

I do prefer Wicked World over Evil Woman

18. slayerkc

slayerkc Forum Resident

How do the Germany vertigo pressings compare? Is the Germany Philips version just as rare as the U.K. version?

19. Michael C

I only own the UK Vertigo pressings, but ive heard some German pressings and they sound great to me.

slayerkc likes this.
  20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The German Vertigos I've heard tend to be bassier with less top end than the UKs.

21. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Exactly. Still nice though and they work well especially depending on ones system.

22. slayerkc

slayerkc Forum Resident

Thank you I just picked up MOR & S/T. I can't afford the U.K. versions so I'm glad they will sound decent.

23. Michael C

Yes they do. I prefer the UK versions, but id take the German over the WB's. But thats me others have different tastes.

24. Michael C

I dont think you'll be disappointed, but we all hear things differently.

slayerkc likes this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Should be since I doubt that BS sold as many records in Germany as they sold in the UK. Different now (80 millions vs 64 millions, population not sold units btw) but West Germany was a small country:agree:

But rare or not in general German Vertigos aren't as expensive as their British counterparts.

Michael C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.