Radio KAOS...any other fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bolero, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Shoulda been a poll!

"What's your least-hated, favourite fish?"

Geordiepete, klockwerk, Mbe and 3 others like this.
  2. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I don't know. My favourite song off the album "Mer or Him" sounds very good in terms of vocals.

Carlox likes this.
  3. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member Thread Starter

well that makes a lot of sense....Waters was under pressure to make a more radio friendly ( pop? ) record in the '80's?

you can't escape that '80's production sound...I mean it was recorded in the '80's & that's how drums were recorded in the '80's!! we could possibly blame Phil Collins & his gated snare :D

I recall an interview around that time, when Roger himself stated drums are recorded differently than on the earlier Wall album

I still think they are great songs, and the drums aren't as bad as some really annoying '80's tunes! most of which were huge hits, back in the day

4. blackg

blackg Forum Resident

Yeah..I actually like the 80's production on KAOS, and I'm not gunna apologize for it, like some people feel the need to.
    It gives the piece a certain novelty.
    As you said...to listen to this record through a good pair of headphones is a real trip.

I'm a Roger Waters fanatic, so..to actually hear Roger make some tunes that were more upbeat was a nice relief for me.
    Though, don't get me wrong, the dark psychosis was still very present on this record, especially on the song "Who Needs Information", but this time it was alright to have fun with it. Ala.."Sunset Strip" "The Powers That Be" and even "Home".

Plus, I love the whole crazy, sun fried, lunatic LA feel that this record has. That aspect was irresistible to an impressionable 16 year old (me) that grey up on movies that celebrated, and taught you to fear, the violence and beauty that was LA in the 80's.

And to top it all off we get an optimistic ending to all the chaos just presented to us listeners. "The Tide Is Turning", of course. And I agree with you..the tide hasn't exactly turned in the direction Roger would of liked.

One more thing...RADIO KAOS is nice and short. It says what it has to say, then its out of there. The way a good album should. It doesn't hang around too long and outstay its welcome.

Bolero, Zeki and JPagan like this.
  5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I like the album too but then again I am a big Roger Waters fan. It would be great to have a live version of the concert I think it worked well because the concept was this radio station so they could plug the old Pink Floyd stuff throughout the show and it was kind of like a radio station Paul Carrack who was in the band even preformed "Tempted" at least at some of the shows. It made a nice flow for the concert, at least on the boots I have heard unfortunately this is the only Roger Waters solo tour I missed, because I was traveling at the time. It also has a soft spot for me as some have mentioned above having that L.A. vibe I grew up in Phoenix but my mother came from L.A. and we would spend some time every summer there, and I discovered KMET where Jim Ladd was one of the D.J.s so I get allot of what was going on with the Radio stuff I can remember cruising down the Los Angles freeways and the radio just had a different vibe that would have been in the 70's to early 80's.

Bolero and blackg like this.
  6. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

The live shows were great, as well as the shows for Pros and Cons.I love both albums but the story line on KAOS is a bit too "out there".

7. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Love the album but haven't played it for a long time. The non-existent storyline is pretty ropey.
    It's certainly no Pros and Cons. It's no A Momentary Lapse... for that matter (released at the same time).

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That final track kills me every time ("The Tide Is Turning"). After, what ... 27 years! That's something.

Carlox and blackg like this.
  9. Charlie DJ

Charlie DJ Forum Resident

Always liked the album too. Saw the KAOS tour too in Hartford Ct.

blackg likes this.
  10. botley

botley Forum Resident

Good tunes, bad production, but such is life. Missed the tour because I was in diapers. Such is life.

This LP definitely deserved to have a remix/rethink/fresh coat of paint long ago, but apparently Rog wanted to redo Amused to Death first.

Such is life.

11. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Anybody have any experience with the vinyl? I can grab a near mint US Capitol for $10 or a UK EMI in VG for $20. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

My least favorite of his 3 solo albums but a bit less grating and heavy handed than the Final Cut.

13. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I really like the album and it hasn't dated for me. I have the UK vinyl with the large fold-out poster and it sounds great.

I wish he had toured this here in the UK. I saw the Pros and Cons tour and that was fantastic but I prefer KAOS as an album...

14. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I like it.

15. Complier

Complier Senior Member

His only solo album I enjoy.

Galley likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I own it but I haven't spun it in over a year. Not my favorite by any means.

17. Fun, and something I can enjoy every once in a blue moon (for nostalgic reasons). Reminds me of my college days, when it first came out (and I was about 2-years into my first really deep interest in Floyd).

That said, I don't listen to much of Roger's solo output any more, as -- purely on musical grounds -- it doesn't hold much for me. (I realize plenty of others like his solo stuff, which is fine, but little of it does anything for me - which is true of The Wall and The Final Cut too).

I've got a fair bit of respect for Roger, just little to no musical interest in anything he's done since (meaning after) Animals.

18. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

I have the first-issue US pressing. It is a very average sounding record. I haven't heard the UK version, but the US is definitely acceptable, especially for $10.

19. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Yep - it's a great album, right up there with Dark Side of the Moon and Animals.

20. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Did the U.S edition have a fold-out map?

I never meant to drop the concrete block
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_David_Wilkie

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  21. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

I went with the U.K. I actually thought the U.K. looked better visually. The near mint US did not look good to me at all. Have no idea what edition. Dead wax difficult to read with my aging eyes :p

22. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree. But the original CD is very good too :).

23. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

My favorite too.

24. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

When I bought mine it was listed as "near mint" and still had shrinkwrap (it was open, but the record did not look played), but no map....

25. Mark_TB

Mark_TB Forum Resident

Love it. It's the only RW album that I still play regularly. I should try to track down a good vinyl copy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.