Tuxedomoon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ganma, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ganma

ganma Senior Member Thread Starter

Nothing about this band on this forum...
    I only have a couple of CDs — Half-Mute and from today — Holy Wars. Pretty fascinating band that's hard to pin down.
    Anyone familiar with them?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

Sure :). You started off with some of their best. Next I'd suggest hunting up their second album, "Desire." Also the Blaine L. Reininger / Steven Brown live album "100 Years of Music," which is very much like Tuxedomoon "unplugged."

3. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

"No Tears" is one of the best songs of its type/era - early '80s "new wave" rock.

4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

The most beautiful song of Tuxedomoon is for me their ' In a Manner of Speaking' which was also beautifully covered by the French group Nouvelle Vague by giving it a bossa nova sauce. I think many Tuxedomoon fans will hate it, but I love it!

5. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I have this very cool DVD of Tuxedomoon entitled The Super-8 Years With Tuxedomoon which has some super-rare footage of the band. Check it out. It was released on Transparency back in 2009, I believe!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. ganma

I liked it.
    For comparison this is the original.

7. ganma

I found the original CD edition of Desire today. Sounds good. The newer one sounded too cranked.

Joti Cover likes this.
  8. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

I just got the compilation of Tuxedomoon's early 1980's eps entitled At Twilight at FreakBeat Records in Sherman Oaks, California and JUST ordered the two reissued 12-inch eps on clear vinyl (for the first two hundred copies!) of No Tears and Scream With A View! Cannot wait to get both! Yes!!

9. ganma

:righton:
    Awesome! Tell us what they're like when you get them.

Cake likes this.
  10. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Will do!!

11. sbraidi

sbraidi Forum Resident

You can bet your whole record collection !!!

Moreover, the Nouvelle Vague project always reminded me something like a bulldozer: cold, monotonous and mercyless in its leveling out all the touched tracks.

12. dachada

dachada Senior Member

Tuxedomoon new releases:

Tuxedomoon and Cult With No Name: "Blue Velvet Revisited" This new release in our Made To Measure composers' series is the soundtrack written and recorded in 2015 by Tuxedomoon and Cult With No Name for the eponymous film by Peter Braatz, which was shot in 1985 on the set of David Lynch's great classic and will be coming out to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the film.

Tuxedomoon - The Box:
    The Tuxedomoon Vinyl Box is an elaborate, luxurious, bountiful artefact, containing 9 of the band's main albums, an album ("Appendix") entirely consisting of previously-unreleased tracks, a 28-page 12"-sized book with notes by the band members (who reminisce about the recording of these albums) plus all the lyrics & credits, a 60×60 cm poster and a single code for downloading the content of the 10 albums.

Front 242 Addict and Cake like this.
  13. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Wow! Fantastic news! Cannot wait for the box set!

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Another box? Now that's funny since Tuxedomoon is one of those bands were I love one album but never got into the rest. "Half Mute" is a record I play at least once a year but after I got it around 1991 I checked out "Desire", didn't like it and never heard any other Tuxedomoon album.

15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Half Mute, Desire, Holy Wars and the early EP's are the essentials for me. Also the Dark Companion b-side, but the original, not the remix. They definitely did some interesting stuff after that but a little hit or miss. I recently picked up a CD comp called 'At Twilight' that does a very decent job of collecting the best post-Holy Wars 80's tracks. 'A Thousand Lives by Picture' is a great comp of the early Ralph tracks also but is only available on LP I think.

vince and Front 242 Addict like this.
  16. I actually think Cabin In the Sky might be their best work. And tracks like Licorice Stick Ostinato and Basso Pomade are very nice as chamber music.

Max Florian likes this.
  17. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

Fantastic band , I love their New wave style and the atmosphere that their music creates , the combination of electronic sounds with classical instruments is brilliant , I love to listen to Tuxedomoon and legendary pink dots in one listening session/

My favorites are : half Mute , Desire / No tears , Holy wars , You. The Ghost sonata , Divine , Suite En Sous-Sol / Time To Lose

The New wave band from Israel Minimal Compact Were signed in the same label Cramboy = Crammed Discs.

One of my favorites from Desire ,
    The title song from the album

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  18. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

klockwerk likes this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This version is also the version on "Frank Johnson's Favorites" (Ralph Records comp.)...right?

20. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Tuxedomoon is a very difficult band to pin down. I can't tell when Winston is with the band and when he isn't, I can't tell the difference between any of their voices (Steven mostly?), I can't seem to even collect a full consistent discography of theirs on CD let alone vinyl, and my favorite song of theirs is something called "Crash" which a buddy gave me as the first track on a mix tape once but that I've never been able to find. (I think eventually I found a *version* of it that isn't similar.) The CDs I do have all sound rather thin, bad analog transfers that have nothing on the vinyl.

Also the early material is far more interesting than the later material.

21. Holerbot6000

Yes - Frank Johnson was my first ever Ralph record. I can't even remember what compelled me to buy it but I do remember it was one of those 'jump into my hands' moments, slogging through a giant pile of used records. I think it might have been the description of the re-incarnated Frank peeking and poking at the future. Anyhoo, both Dark Companion and Loser/Weed grabbed me by the ears immediately and haven't really let go for some 35+ years now. Talk about a long, strange trip.

vince likes this.
  22. Holerbot6000

The singing can have a blase', anonymous quality that is part of their charm, but Winston's voice is pretty distinct once you tune into it. I personally love his singing with his ridiculously dramatic flourishes. Jinx, for me, is his best moment. His one solo album, 'Theoretically Chinese' is also worth hunting down.

23. Where is Winton Tong these days, anyway?

24. Jandyce

Jandyce Member

The very beginning of Wim Wenders' wonderful,wonderful film, "Wings Of Desire" where they do that incredible shot of outside apartment to apartment, there is TuxedoMoon playing in one apartment. I think its from "Holy Wars".

Max Florian and Joti Cover like this.
  25. Holerbot6000

I seem to recall reading that, when Tuxedomoon got back together for Cabin in the Sky, they reached out and tried to find Winston but couldn't. He had a horrible drug problem that went on for years so he may have ended up a casualty but I hope that is not the case. Hopefully someone here has the straight skinny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.