"The Rocky Horror Picture Show" (2016) - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TheLazenby, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, you don't really know? Right? She could be playing a transvestite. I guess she did have a bust. :doh:

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

What would have made it really edgy and different given that they cast a transgender actress to play Frank would have been to completely flip the script on its head. Make Frank Francis. Make her a transgender bisexual who sometimes presents as masculine and other times feminine. Have her make her ideal female, Roxy. Call the whole thing the Roxy Horror Picture Show.

I would have watched that. It might not have been any good, but at least it would have brought something new to the table and it would have made more sense. I just didn't get casting a male-to-female transgender actress in the lead role where the signature song is "Sweet Transvestite."

razerx likes this.
  3. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Just watched it. I won't be watching it again. It wasn't terrible but it had none of the sensitivity of the original. Tim curry doing I'm going home can bring a lump to my throat but I got nothing this time. I thought riff raff and Columbia were the best and Janet wasn't bad but magenta and rocky were pretty awful. I felt it was trying to be too close to the original too which just didn't work because it isn't of this time. I tried to like it, I really did.

4. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

It was not horrible, I did really like the opening, very original and totally different from the original. Would have liked them to have tried out different interpretations of the other scenes. I will say I did like the Janet in this production.

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

They changed the dialogue and lyrics referring to Frank - he/she, him/her

They're all on drugs, right? Nobody ever mentions it, but I was actually a bit shocked when I put together Riff Raff's "flow morphia slow" line and Frank singing, "he thought you were the candy man."

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Gems-A-Bems and kevywevy like this.
  6. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

From the clips I've seen, the performers did a good job, but the sets and cinematography look very, very cheap and almost empty. There was a sense of goofy dread with the original-- you knew Brad and Janet were screwed the second they entered the mansion. With this one, it feels more like a Halloween party they could sneak out of once somebody brought out the red cups and jello shots.

kwadguy and minerwerks like this.
  7. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Agreed. The revival on Broadway around 2000 had far more grit.

8. Is any of it on-line anywhere? I totally missed this.

Or I wonder if I can still pull it up through On-Demand (have Comcast, fwiw). Will have to check tonight (like I'm going to remember -- 50/50 chance, at best).

9. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

This! Bravo! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TheLazenby likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I just don't get the love for that show. It runs out of steam after 25-30 minutes.

It's like watching the Rolling Stones play for 90 minutes. The first 25mins are their all time classics and the rest is their latest forgettable album.

11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Except they do mention it (and you caught it).

12. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

And Frank had heroin trails in the Roxy stage production (as seen on the RHPS soundtrack picture disc, where they used a photo from the stage version instead).

13. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Hatred towards the cast is not cool, as you say TheLazenby. Heck hatred in general is never good at all.

Legitimate criticism, sure. Some people can be too quick to hate in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.