Steven Wilson - New Zealand / Australia Tour - October 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelCPE, Apr 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Hand . Cannot. Erase. show is coming down under :pineapple:.

Steven is playing Auckland, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

See Tour DatesStevenWilsonHQ.com » which also has a link for buying tickets.

Tickets for Melbourne went on sale this morning. Including booking fee it was only A$89.95 which I think isn't bad value for what we will get to see.

I'm someone who buys much more music than I get around to listening too. So I have all of Steven's solo albums on DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray, but have not yet listened to any of them!

I'm sure I'll enjoy getting to know them all well over the many months until October.

murrays likes this.
  2. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Can't wait, got my tix this morning. I thought $89 is pretty cheap too.

You haven't listened to Wilson before!!! You are in for a fun few months.

3. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Saw him in Toronto last year perform Hand. Cannot. Erase.
    Terrific show and highly recommended. He has some cool stories for the audience as well.
    To really appreciate the show, seriously do watch the videos and listen to Hand. Cannot. Erase
    If you can Google "Joyce Carol Vincent" the story behind the album that inspired Wilson.

4. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

Thanks for this heads up, a chance of a lifetime!
    By the way, I cannot get my head around the fact you have bought heaps of great music and not listened to any of it yet. Time to get started.

5. MichaelCPE

I have lots of other great music I've not got around to listening to as well. And I've got a huge number of DVDs and blu rays yet to be watched. Many thousands of dollars worth.

For some reason my friends always think I'm mad when I buy more music and more movies even though so much is yet to be done :crazy:

The October tour provides a very good reason to do a crash course in Steven Wilson solo albums, which I'm sure will be very rewarding.

6. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Thanks for the pointer. Saw Porcupine Tree in Melbourne in 2008 from memory. Loved it

downer likes this.
  7. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I saw the show twice in NY. Enjoy it, it's great!

8. Alternative4

He played his first New Zealand show ever last night. The venue was far smaller than the production requires, so the visual element was almost entirely absent. This didn't bother me at all as I have seen the show before and in fact resulted in a much more intimate show with a greater connection between the band and audience. Steven was in great spirits (he cracked a few sassy jokes) as was the rest of the band. Steven even said this was the best band he has ever worked with (I completely agree).

In terms of the show itself, nothing has really changed setlist wise. The songs themselves have changed quite a bit and the album really comes a live in the flesh. My highlights were: Craig's playing during "Dark Matter", he adds a nice swing to the song, Dave Kilminster's guitar tone during "Space Oddity", Adam Holzman's solo during "Don't hate me".

I would also like to thank the person who booked Slipknot in a venue across town on the same night, therefore keeping the more casual and metal orientated fans away.

9. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Great show! Seen him twice in the last year and a bit, first the Albert Hall just over a year ago and then the more regular HCE set at Hammersmith in January this year. I strongly doubt anyone's ever been disappointed going to a Steven Wilson concert.

Alternative4 likes this.
  10. Alternative4

I saw those RAH shows too, I still can't come to terms with how good they were.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I've seen Porcupine Tree and Steven solo every time they've come to Oz but I'm sitting out on this one. To be totally honest I don't find his solo work as exciting in the live environment. Maybe next tour I'll be back on board.

12. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

You're missing out. I have seen him on every solo tour and this show is easily the best (of an exceptional bunch).

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  13. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

The Auckland show was excellent. Three hours of awesome music.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Going to the Sydney show Saturday.Have not seen him before.In some way disappointing that he is playing such a small venue that the production elements of Hand Cannot Erase aren't happening.

15. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

That was also the case with the Auckland concert. Steven apologised and said they would compensate by making it a longer show and trying extra hard ("not that we don't normally try hard") to put on a great musical performance. In my opinion they did put a lot more energy into it than the album tracks. In my opinion there was an advantage of a smaller venue, in being closer to the band. There was still some projected video throughout the concert.
    In short - don't let let this be the one reason that puts you off.

16. Nothing will put me off attending and enjoying it.Hand Cannot Erase is my favourite album of this decade.

murrays and Rufus McDufus like this.
  17. MichaelCPE

I'm seeing him tomorrow (Friday) in Melbourne.

I've only been playing H.C.E. for the last few weeks, so I can't say it has all come together yet. I'm hoping that it does tomorrow when I see it live.

18. Alternative4

Don't sit it out, you will regret it. These small venue shows will be something to remember.

19. MichaelCPE

Melbourne (tonight) and Sydney are both sold out.

I just listened to 4 1/2 two times in a row - which is only the 2nd and 3rd times I've heard this.

Very strange to know that I'll be hearing some of this live in just a few hours time!

Alternative4 likes this.
  20. Idjit Dragon

Idjit Dragon Forum Resident

A really good concert IMHO. Sound was great and, even at the back, it was no more than 30m from the stage.

Steve got a little upset that we didn't appreciate the 4 1/2 material more but My book of regrets and Vermillion didn't do anything for me. It's fine to release lots of music every year but don't expect everyone to like it :confused:

Apart from a minor fluff Dave Kilminster was excellent and Adam Holmann, Nick Beggs & Craig Blundell were very good.

1.20 for HCE plus another 1.30 for the rest represents great value for money too.

All in all highly recommended.

Cheers

Martin

21. EddieVortex

EddieVortex Forum Resident

Went to the Brisbane show last night. Steven was very talkative between songs and very engaging. It was good to see the band really enjoying it. He made an interesting point that he (like me) grew up with artists releasing new music every year (or 2 years) which doesn't happen much now. He said he is keen to release new music every year but accepts that we won't like all of it but hopes that we continue on the journey with him. I for one will be going along for the ride.

A great, varied setlist as well in an almost 3 hour show which looks to be similar for all shows on this run. It's the first solo show of his that I have seen and would recommend it to anyone. Its a pity the turnout was so low (500-600 is my guess in a 2,100 capacity venue), but this is typical of Brisbane when there is work the next day!

22. I went to Sydney show and can echo the comments about the music in the comments above.Excellent show at an absolutely terrible and completely unsuited venue.There have been a number of artist's play there that I would have loved to have seen but refuse to go the Metro.I couldn't resist Steven but no other option than standing up for the 3+ hours doesn't help appreciate his music for a 62 year old .Unlike Brisbane Sydney was a sell out so if he ever comes again we may get somewhere decent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.