Do I need high speed hdmi cables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bajaed, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm hooking up new to me Oppo 93 and a Yamaha VX673 avr to my surround speakers and 1080p 60" plasma.

Should I get high speed hdmi cables to get the best lossless audio and picture or will my older hdmi cables work exactly the same?

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

are you talking about old HDMI 1.0 cables? techically I don't think those supported 1080p. I think any cable you buy nowadays is going to be "high-speed" aka hdmi 1.3

dalem5467 likes this.
  3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Normally, I'd say "any old HDMI" cable will work as well as another. But lately, I've had lots of bad luck with various devices and cables not completing a handshake.

As such, I only use "certified" HDMI cables by HDMI.org. I typically get these from Monoprice. They are affordable, and Monoprice is having a 20% discount right now.

Certified Premium High Speed HDMI® Cable, HDR, 15ft - Black - Monoprice.com »

[​IMG]

mikeyt, CBC and Mister Charlie like this.
  4. bajaed

5. bajaed

Right. The ones I bought say they are up to 18 Gbps. Mainly concerned with passing lossless audio via hdmi from Oppo to AVR.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

7. bajaed

It's weird. The same cables (I think) on Amazon have high speed logo on them.
    I don't want to use them if there is any doubt.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You'd want to be looking for that orange logo I linked above.

9. bajaed

It does have a black and white logo that says "HDMI High Speed with Ethernet HDMI CERTIFIED"
    But not the orange logo.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Unless they have that exact logo, with QR code and hologram sticker, they're not certified by HDMI.org.

Sometimes manufacturers will use "certified" to describe CL2/CL3 ratings. Which means the cable won't burn down your house. But doesn't have anything to do with A/V performance.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Audio? As in music? You'll be fine. HDMI standard can handle data transfer rates way in excess of that required just for music.

Rolltide and CBC like this.
  12. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

They appear to be hdmi 1.3 "high speed" based on the supported resolutions listed, you should be fine

13. bajaed

Thanks guys. I'm not a high dollar cable guy but I do have a pair of Van den Hul and Morrow interconnects that I bought cheap and some VH Audio cHela speaker cables.

I'm going cheap on the HDMI just wanted to make sure that these wouldn't sell me short on lossless 5.1 and 1080p Blu-ray.

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was a nonbeliever in upgraded hdmi cables for many years. I was running a super cheap hdmi from my computer to my tv for years that I bought at a computer store. I switched it to an audio quest that I picked up for $100 and the difference was not subtle as far as the picture was concerned. I don't know about the audio since a run a separate cable to my DAC.

It's worth checking into. If you don't get the impovement you want, send it back.

15. bajaed

I will give these a shot then look for a great deal on a better quality one on the used Market to see if I hear or see an improvement

16. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Wow...I'm a little late to the dance on this, I never knew there was such a thing!

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

It's not about "selling you short". Inferior HDMI cables often cause drop outs, blank screens, and other handshake issues that are frustrating to troubleshoot. Why take those risks with a non-HDMI.org certified cable? They're literally $5 each, shipped, for a pair of 6ft cables from Monoprice.

Kristofa likes this.
  18. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I bought this from Amazon Spain in 5 meter version to link a Samsung 4K UHD Blu ray player (UBD k-8500, native 4K player) to a Philips T.V. and the Blu ray player is outputting RGB video signal,which is the one that more bandwith has, and I've had ZERO problems with this HDMI cable. It's very well made and finished, it's cheap and works as a charm.
    Sure your Amazon has it.
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01DBVE5QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Robert C likes this.
  19. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I have this cable in longer variant 7m or more. Works flawlessly.

Robert C and EddieVanHalen like this.
  20. bajaed

I wanted to hook everything up tomorrow so I was looking for cables locally but they all start around $15. Not expensive but not the deal monoprice and others are online.

The ones I listed were a little under $20 a pair at Sam's Club., but I don't want to use them if the quality is questionable. It would be kind of tough to switch out hdmi's once I have everything in place.

Maybe I'll order from monoprice or one of the other suggested vendors and wait a few extra days to hook everything up if the quality of audio and video would be improved by doing so?

21. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

HDMI cables are digital not analogue. The old analogue way of thinking about cables just doesn't apply. The signal either gets delivered or it doesn't. I use loads of the cheapest HDMI cables you can buy without any problems, no dropouts, etc. Just find a modern one for pennies. It will work. Or waste loads of cash on one that does exactly the same job. Your choice. But please google this sentence: "Why HDMI cables are all the same".

22. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I bought it because on the photos looked very well made, feedback from other customers (although in shorter sizes) were good and prices is excellent.
    Like you/your, never had a problem with it, as a maximum the usual handshake issues between Samsung's UHD Blu ray player UBD k-85000 and while other people say the happen very often, with this excellent HDMI cable they seldom happen.
    A have a very good friend of mine that's into brands, everything he buys has to be from famous and well-know brands. He need a 5 meters HDMI cable just like me as his changing his set up to another room, and he's going to pay 120 € (around 140/150$) for a 5 meters Monster Cable HDMI, he can afford it, 'though it's a waste of money IMO. I keep on telling him that a higher part of what he would be paying is for the use of a comercial brand but in the end he's getting a cable made in China that performs exactely as my 12 € HDMI cable. He says it's not possible as these were the cables Michael Jackson used on the recording of his albums. Shouldn't try to make him change his made and let him waste some $$$ if that makes it happy.

formu_la likes this.
  23. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Bit of a misstatement in his article title when he explicitly points out:

".... I consider sparkles an example of a signal failure and as such requires a new HDMI cable. If you see sparkles, you need a different cable.

Another potential "fail" is a failure of the HDCP copy protection, which shows up as a total snowy image, a blinking image, or something else hard to miss. This is actually even less likely, as the TMDS is more likely to fail than the channel HDCP requires for its handshake. I have seen this in my testing, though, so it's worth mentioning."

If he's pointing out two causes of failure that can happen between a 'good' HDMI cable vs. a 'bad' one, then all cables can't be the same.

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Since getting a Marantz A/V receiver, I've been getting intermittent white dots across the screen, like snowflakes.
    Could this be due to not having decent enough HDMI cables too?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.