Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I don't think it ever was released as a box. I don't have all of them.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Oh, ok.

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Chopin/Schumann/Scarlatti
    Andrzej Wiercinski
    The Fryderyk Chopin Institute, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am enjoying this CD recorded in Poland in 2015.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I see that Hyperion is still putting out new releases in the series this year.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Hyperion is a great label, but many of their recordings, like Roy Goodman's Haydn series (but others as well), sound too spatial to my liking.

crispi likes this.
  6. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Very sonorous recording....

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Just finished listening to a great new release, Grisey: Talea - Berio: Requies - Fujikura: Bassoon Concerto. The album title on the cover is not really true. Gallois conducts the Prague Modern in the Grisey and Berio but he plays the bassoon concerto with Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra conducted by Tatsuya Shimono.

[​IMG]

The Fujikura Bassoon Concerto in particular is fantastic. Gallois at times sounds like he's playing multiple notes on the bassoon. The video below is performed by the same forces, but from an album released in 2013. Either Stradivarius licenced the recording or this is a new recording. My guess would be licensing. Fujikura is a new composer to me and this work makes me want to explore his work further.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Horowitz, The Romantic and Impressionist Era recordings.

[​IMG]

9. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

I think there was a box set released of the Vox romantic concerto records made in the analog era, but that's a different series entirely.

10. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Currently listening to Zino Francescatti playing Ravel's Tzigane, accompanied by Jean Martinon and the CSO, on Vol. 10 of their "From the Archives" series. Got lucky and found this in a record store for $8.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Since we've strayed off-topic with Metallica, I'm posting this LP that I listened to tonight. Ultra-colorful symphonic music & great sound. Issued in 1977 on Warner Brothers Records. Recorded 1/77, Olympic Studios, London. Engineer: Keith Grant.

geralmar and bluemooze like this.
  12. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Wow, just yesterday I listened to my fave Zappa LP! One Size Fits All!! Pojama People are boring me to pieces!!! Hahaha. Zappa is the reason I excelled in English above any of my fellow students in junior high in Germany! I just wanted to know what he was talking about in his songs and started reading more and more until I was totally fluent. I guess the love for Dream Theater, Opeth and Porcupine Tree etc comes from my love for Prog Rock, ever since I was a 10 year old girl. Pink Floyd, then Yes, King Crimson, Camel, Nektar, Jethro Tull.....etc etc.

Some Jazz music has definitely the dissonant factor, but that's music I don't like at all. For me it has to be mostly melodic, even the fusion stuff...
    I think the most 'modern' classical music that I can enjoy -and be positively moved by it - is by Vaughn Williams, Ravel, Debussy, Richard Strauss....

On the TT.....before going to bed. Good night everyone!
    :tiphat:

[​IMG]

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Under some time pressure tonight but wanted to pass this along. For those who like Bach on harpsichord :wave:, Warner has just issued a 20-disc set, billed as the complete Bach keyboard works, performed by (and as a 90th birthday tribute to) Czech harpsichordist Zuzana Růžičková. ImportCDs has the set for less than $40 shipped, at least to my home:

Request Rejected »

[​IMG]

Růžičková, by the by, has also been an advocate for modern harpsichord music; if you want to read a bit more, see the Overgrown Path blog entry for today.
    On An Overgrown Path »

bluemooze likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Four discs were included in the Teldec Complete Bach box that I own. Good stuff.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to CD 1 from "Carmina Burana Vols. III & IV" performed by the New London Consort led by Philip Pickett.

[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, record 3 from "Dufay - Complete Secular Music" performed by The Medieval Ensemble Of London led by Peter Davies and Timothy Davies on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

[​IMG]

ToddBD, Mik and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Prokofiev - Violin Sonatas/Five Melodies" performed by Alina Ibragimova and Steven Osborne on Hyperion.

[​IMG]

crispi, Mik and J.A.W. like this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 6 from Mercury Living Presence-The Collector's Edition 2.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and Mik like this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

No images.

20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

How about this one?

[​IMG]

RiRiIII likes this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

:righton:

22. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I'm still turning this record on a weekly basis, reinforcing this recomendation for you guys ;)
    It's an outstanding record

bluemooze likes this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Good morning everyone! On the TT before going to work.....:tiphat:
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

First listen to "Cantadas De Pasion" performed by Maria Luz Alvarez with Accentus Austria led by Thomas Wimmer on Arcana.

[​IMG]

25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning-
    If you like romanticism in music, you will like the Haydn Wood concerto finale. An excellent rousing finale.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mik like this.