"Platter Ground" - anyone know anything...?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by marmil, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Ya know what's BORING? It is the mindset that those who avoid obvious snake oil products are luddites

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Why should anyone spend money on something that fails every basic analysis of its promoted features? Just because some company eructates an alleged product, does not mean consumers have to spend money to try it before asking basic questions about the product. Challenging the efficacy or usefulness or appropriateness of a specific product before spending money on it is one of the foundations of rational, personal financial management and one of the foundations of intelligent consumer protection. Everybody knows this. Thus far, the only thing presented by Star Sound is utter nonsense in the form of marketing collateral so improbably convoluted that parts of it make no sense technically and parts of it make no sense in English. Some prospective customers asked questions about the product and ended up being directed to the product web site where the marketing collateral for the product, laughable as it is, remains in plain view. That people then reacted derisively to what is obviously a piece of useless junk should be viewed only as a reaction to which the product's promoter just as plainly exposed himself.

I think you might be commenting on something that nobody has really raised in this thread. The Platter Ground is IMO nothing but junk. Nobody in this thread is threatened by it, and there's no basis on which to suggest otherwise. More important, and more to your point, the so-called product contributes nothing to the pursuit of better sound except, perhaps, standing as an item on which money should never be wasted in the pursuit of that self-same better sound.

If you personally think The Platter Ground product's touted functionality or its marketing collateral has a shred of credibility, by all means - and without making up psuedo-scientific suggestions or excuses for the product - make a case for it. Frankly, I think that approach might be too little and too late anyway, because way smarter people than me in this thread have already examined the product claims and basically laughed themselves silly in response.

Gumboo likes this.
  3. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

Recommend you instead of buying this multi-phase inverter silinoid induction amplitude modulator, just punch a small hole in 2 $100.00 bills, be sure that the holes are EXACTLY centered to each other and stack them over each other , then push them down the post over the record , of course put the record weight atop of them and spin some records. If by chance you dont hear a noticable improvement from your records , you can alway get a instant refund !

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I am guessing that it operates in multi-phase mode only if the bills are stacked with their longest edges perpendicular to each other.
    -Bill

5. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

Finally, someone understands,multiphasic research is a lonely science. The music means nothing, its the quantifiable leap into the unknown structures of the .... hold on i got a sucker , i mean a customer on the other line, i have to go for now.

6. Geardaddy

Geardaddy New Member

I am confused. So, its marketing babble/lying....but true....but the TT designers have circumvented the problems completely?

The guys behind this company are primarily engineers (several with multiple degrees), so I would call them to discuss your concerns.

That is plausible.

http://www.audiopoints.com/CMS/uploads/vibration-and-coulomb-friction-2013_001.pdf

Buttclowns? Yikes. Who is represented in your avatar? A manic looking Leica aficionado?

7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

There shouldn't be any confusion at all. For example, some audio speaker wire sellers talk about skin effect as though it's relevant at the fractionally short run distances and audio frequencies in home audio systems of all kinds. In fact, skin effect is a real, electrical effect, but only at multi-mile distances and at signal frequencies that have nothing to do with home or studio or PA audio. So a few cable makers have taken a perfectly good fact and then alluded to it as though its relevant, claiming that they're accounting for it in their cable design. Skin effect is real, so it's a true fact - genuine science and physics - but irrelevant at audio frequencies and cable lengths which also makes its use in such marketing a lie. What's so hard to understand?

Some of the exact same technique - the use of true but irrelevant facts purveyed as germane - are in use by Star Sound and many other audio/audiophile accessory floggers.

Really? In the face of some blatant nonsense on their web site, some of which flies in the face of the facts I learned when I was taking my own degree - some of which flies in the face of the basic science taught in high schools - by all means point out where the engineers have asserted their professional expertise. Being impressed by the fact that someone has a college or university degree in something leaves us open to being too accepting. On the other hand, when people with the appropriate degree demonstrate that they're capable of talking to me - to us - using language that is not utter tripe, then their degrees may be said to mean something worthwhile. Basically, anyone who has a degree in some discipline but fails to use it and instead spouts nonsense isn't actually using the degree or the work that was needed to earn the degree in the first place. That means the degree is meaningless (at least in this context).

Yes. I said what I meant. And I don't think that's a Leica. Looks like a Fujifilm X100 to me. I've been flagging consumer fraud for decades, watching the edge-walkers who develop products (or merely relicense or rebrand Asian catalog products) of marginal value and sometimes dangerous content. None of that makes me an authority or a rallying point. Audiophiles are free to spend their money on whatever they want. But if some product maker presents a bunch of marketing collateral on a product web site or if a forum member asks a question about the usefulness or efficacy of a particular piece of junk, they'll all get an earful here.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    Gumboo likes this.
  8. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Looks like total bull kaka to me!

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Or, put another way: Don't break wind near the spinning record.

GuildX700 likes this.
  10. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

I like the fact that it wobbles in use ...

11. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

no sir, maam, transgerder, whatever you are , that avatar was straight out of stereophile magazines of the 1980s when a speaker designer used it to describe the maddening speakers of the day. you dont like it? tough ****.

12. yohimeys

yohimeys Member

Damn right! that thing blocks my view of venus! Im working on mass producing a plutonium Q36 space modulator myself. Then any pissed off audiophile will be able to blow up the earth!

Gumboo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.