Switching out different amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by P2CH, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The scenario: I have two SS amps and a tube amp. I want to switch between them.

It involves switching the RCA inputs from the SS amps to the tube amp along with switching the speakers from the SS amps to the tube amp.

Is there a device that makes this possible? One with maybe banana plug connections instead of screw lugs or cheaply made spring connections?

Anyone do this?

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Are you sure this is what you want to do? The more signal junctions you introduce, the more opportunity there is for loss of fidelity or worse. That's why many of the finest tonearms have a continuous run of wiring from cartridge to the output jacks.

Dave and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. P2CH

It's line-level audio but I understand what you're saying. And no, it's probably not what I really want to do. It's sort of in a holding pattern in regards to actually needing something like this. If the tube amp works out and I like what I'm hearing, I plan on keeping it in the system.

But then there's the other part of whether the tube amp will suffice in my need of volume level.

With the current 200 watt mono-block amps that I enjoy cranking to loud levels, will a 50 watt tube amp give me the same sonic factor? The Heresy's might be efficient, but probably not in that much of a way.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

50 tube watts and Heresy's will light up a room VERY nicely. You will not be looking for more volume. If you can, set it up in a way that you can easily and quickly get to the back of the equipment to switch the cables between amps. Banana's on the speaker wires will be essential.

I've never seen a switch like you are asking about and I think it would rob you of some fidelity.

5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I rotate between my power amps every four to eight weeks. My amps sit on low profile platforms on the floor in front of one of my racks. It's very easy to swap out cables this way, but I realize not everyone is able/wants to have equipment sitting on the floor.

timind and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

This might be a thread for the equipment hoarders of the forum.

7. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

A Radio Shack source selector switches between three RCA inputs to one RCA output. Should be pretty cheap on Ebay. Speaker selectors might be harder to find, those were usually in stereo stores.

8. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I can't speak for others, but I have to have spare equipment around! If something goes down and I've got no tunes, I get very grumpy quick! :mudscrying:

rodentdog, Dennis0675 and Dave like this.
  9. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have three set up and working systems in my house and another in storage. Up until a couple weeks ago I had one amp with two set of speakers next to each other that I would regularly swap to the amp. Like the OP, I love the idea of having a tube and SS that I would switch between in my main system. Sometimes I just like to get a different perspective.

I proudly count myself as an equipment hoarder.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There is no problem doing this. You just need two different switch boxes, one for the RCA's and one for the Speaker's.

I use two different pairs of front speakers (my A7's are at a 90-degree angle to the regular stereo/HT set up). My front speakers are always powered by my Emotiva XPA-2, 250-watt SS amp. The switch box can be used in reverse, in your case, with one pair of speakers, switching between two amps.

I used to have banana plugs to do this, but the switch box is far better. I could not find the right one, until another member spoke about one. I bought it and it works great. It is made by Russound.

AB-2.2 Table Top, Dual Source Speaker Selector

[​IMG]

You can buy it at Crutchfield for $79.00

While a lot of these selectors are poorly made, this one is not. it is made of a quality heavy gauge metal, the selector button is tight and it has removable plugs in the back. You wire the speaker wire to the plugs and then plug them in. No crappy spring connectors that are found on most other selectors.

[​IMG]

Here is another photo I found, showing the back. Each gang is four connectors, two for each channel. You insert the speaker wire and turn a screw to tighten the wire in place. When you have all of the wires in that gang connected, inset the gang into the connector at the box. This box is marked showing two amp sources for one set of speakers.

The unit is rated by Russound at 150-watts RMS per-channel. That is steady power. You will have no problems using it with your 200-watt per-channel monoblocks, as one of your two amp sources.

Next get one of the many available RCA input selector switches and use it backwards for one input, connecting two amps.

2 Ports Video Audio RCA AV Switch Selector Box Splitter
    [​IMG]

Here is a simple one from NewEgg for $13.57. This one, as most I've found also will switch composite video, just disregard the yellow RCA jack.

Plug your source into the audio output and each of your power amps into the each of the two inputs.

And no, it will not degrade your signal. And if you want to pay a lot of money for this same product, buy one labeled as a "passive preamp".

I do have an RCA input switcher, it is from Emotiva and one of the inputs contains a phono preamp. It is also a very well built unit, but this is all you will need for the purpose you have described. You will simply need to press a button on each box, every time you want to switch to a different pair of amps.

11. P2CH

I appreciate all of your comments. However, now that I have taken ownership of the Jolida 50 watt amp, I must say, I am in musical bliss.

I've owned a couple tube amps before but I never felt that I heard a big enough difference between them and SS. Boy, do I hear a difference now. Maybe it's the Heresy's or maybe it's just the amp, but the sound I am hearing is smooth, articulate, crisp, full, punchy and there is plenty of power.

In fact, this amp seems to deliver more power than the 200 watt Outlaw amps. If it isn't more, it's the same. And, I believe I hit on something, being I'm almost 60, and I'm sure this might go for some others here, we listened to car radios from the tube era. These units pushed, what, 2 watts?

Listening to the Jolida, I think it resembles that sound we grew up with. I put on an LP of The Skyliners and I thought I was listening to the best sounding car radio in the world. I never heard this album sound like that. Just amazing sound. Steely Dan, Lou Reed, Van Halen, Natalie Merchant, Paula Cole; best sound I've heard.

I now understand why so many of you run tube amps. I am a believer.

As for switch boxes, I no longer find any reason to swap out amps.

billnunan and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

Some people roll tubes. Some roll amps. :cool: Try it, you'll like it. :agree:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You animal! That is an amazing collection.

nm_west likes this.
  14. P2CH

OMG! Are you Dr. Frankenstein? How cool is that?!

15. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

No, Dr. Fickle. ;)

Seriously, I'm to the point where I listen to specific music on specific setups.
    The most neutral to me is the Citation I, II's combo with any of my speakers.

16. taynos

taynos Forum Resident

I am interested in switching between 2 amps to 1 pair of speakers as well. In my case, I want to combine my 5.1 AV system with my 2CH Stereo system for the time being. I am running an Adcom 5400 amp into AR 3A's. The AR's are 4 ohm which has the Adcom pushing out 200w. The specs say 150 RMS on the Russound selector, but I cannot find out what the Adcom RMS is at 4 ohms. Also not sure if Russound can handle 4 ohm. And the last thing I want to do is damage either of my amps or my vintage 3A's. Any feedback would helpful before pulling the trigger and learning the hard way. Thanks!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

You can always call or email Russound with your question.

There is no warning about connecting a 4-Ohm load to the Russound.

It is rated for a total maximum power of 150-WPC.

When You are running a 4-Ohm load the current is doubled.

Power in Watts is simply the voltage times the current. If you double the current, you halve the voltage.

I am running it to switch between Polk LSiM707's (inside speakers) and Zu Omen Definitions (outside speakers), both of which are 8-Ohms.

The Russound box sits on top of the right LSiM707.

[​IMG]

Seriously, I doubt that you will have any trouble with a 4-Ohm load. Speakers are not washing machines, they don't really draw that much power.

I'm running the front towers with a 250-Watt Emotive XPA-2 (Original Generation). If there is too much resistance at the switchbox, you would know, because it would heat up. But you really should not encounter any issues.

18. gcos

gcos Well-Known Member

I have been using Mapletree line and speaker routers for years to achieve what u wish very successfully. Dr. Lloyd Peppard can fashion no. of inputs and outputs to your needs. I use 3 inputs to three outputs which go to the power amps and three outputs from the power amps to two speakers via the speaker router. check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.