Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Exact same thing I did.............:righton:

Bill Mac likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me that had this (minor) issue :). I'm surprised you noticed it with your lovely avatar hanging around :D!

Todd W. likes this.
  3. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

I think the track list was not intended to stay permanently outside the box. At least in my EU version, there is that ugly and unnecessary (imho) quad setup image being heavily fixed to the box side. So that image seems to be the intended permanent artwork.
    Also on the EU version, the track list was just fixed on the box side with a small transparent round sticker covering the Quad info image under it.

Is the US box artwork different to the EU one? Unfortunately there are no images on Discogs for the US version. But you can see all pictures on the EU release.

Bill Mac likes this.
  4. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The US version is the same. I agree that there really is no need for the quad setup image on the box. It should be the reverse with the quad setup image attached with the round sticker and the title and track listing permanently adhered to the box. This is of course a minor issue but interesting as to the choices.

Northern Lights likes this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Cleverly designed box though, since the track list can easily fit in the box, while this is not always the case with such track sheets.

Bill Mac and jeffreybh like this.
  6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I know - I hate it when you have to fold them up or trim them down with scissors.

jeffreybh and RiRiIII like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree in that it's a well designed box set. It's nice that the title and track listing sheet easily fits inside the box.

Simon A likes this.
  8. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I just ordered my set. :thumbsup: I've been buying the AF surround disks at $25 each and getting ALL of these albums, in remastered stereo and surround, for nearly $10 each is too good of a bargain to pass up. Also I looked for the individual albums on epray - they are out there but they're nearly $20 each and the greatest hits is listed for $75!!! Plus I figure a year or two from now when this set is going for $250+ I'll be glad I bought it when I did (for less than $110US with shipping).

I have read this entire thread, mostly before I thought I would be getting this set though. All of the glowing reviews (even with the issues) have convinced me to take the plunge. Could someone summarize the issues for the disks that need replaced? (I'm sorry. I'm sure I read about it but didn't commit it to memory and there's too much info to search through). There's an issue with the stereo playback on a couple of disks, correct?

9. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Chicago (aka Chicago II) and Greatest Hits have issues with a few Stereo tracks playing back in Mono. By writing to Rhino on their website and sending a photo or scan of your invoice, they'll send you the replacement discs.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The error is that the contents of the stereo reel for side 2 (out of 4) for the second album (Chicago aka II) plays back in mono, not stereo. Since the Greatest Hits (IX) disc was, for this set, compiled from the mastering for the other albums (aside from unique edits), this means that "Colour My World" on this edition of IX also plays back in mono.

So, both II and IX are being replaced, presumably fixing the mono error.

There are actually a couple of other errors on the stereo portions of these discs - one is a pause in audio between the first two songs on the first album where there should be a seamless transition. The other is a 15 second pause on VII after "Call on Me" has finished and before the next song begins (the Quad mix fades 10 seconds later than the stereo which is perhaps the source of this timing discrepancy). Since "Call On Me" is on IX, the error has been ported over to that disc too.

Still loving these in stereo - I've been thinking about the EQ...

Is it possible that these are flat transfers?

If you think about the lack of work done on these stereo tapes (no sign of any other mastering work) it seems odd that any drastic EQ would have been applied. Especially since there have been errors that also seem to indicate a lack of focussed attention...

It could explain the extreme purity of the transfers that I am hearing if no processing whatsoever was performed on the tapes - just the right playback machine, properly calibrated.

So, are the LPs (which I haven't heard) and subsequent CD editions all rolled off in the bass to some degree - and maybe a little in the treble too? The original CDs are much more midrangey than these blu-rays which really benefit from the decongestion of the mid-band. Perhaps this mid-band congestion is not on the original flat masters but was instead introduced in the mastering on vinyl and the earlier CDs?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    bru87tr, PineBark and Simon A like this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Great. Thanks for the info guys! I'll go ahead and write an email to Rhino - maybe I'll get my new set and the replacement disks at the same time.

Mal and Simon A like this.
  12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That seems unlikely. Especially when, in the case of CTA, multiple previous editions all sound quite similar, including the MFSL.

Gardo and Simon A like this.
  13. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Perhaps trying to be inkeeping with the original vinyl?

One thing is that, if someone were to EQ these, you'd think they'd address certain things (e.g., bass drum in "Saturday In The Park") but it's as if nothing was done on a track by track basis at all - just a blanket bass boost on all these albums compared with the earlier editions, regardless of any track specifics. And yet, they sound fabulous!

I have VIII on a Castle CD from 1989 that is more like the blu-ray...

Simon A likes this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Doesn't it seem more likely that these have a blanket bass boost than most previous editions having the same bass cut?

Todd W. likes this.
  15. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Having put together a surround system while waiting for and receiving the stereo replacement discs, I can't imagine I'll ever listen to these albums in stereo again. The quad is so much more fun.

Hymie the Robot, SteelyNJ and Simon A like this.
  16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

None of the previous editions have the 'same' cut...

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm comparing the Mastersound and MFSL of CTA now. Any differences are subtle, at best. Looking at Beginnings, the two only deviate about 0.5dB in one direction or the other for most of the spectrum. That two releases, done more than 20 years apart, would both happen to have EQ that 1) is almost identical and 2) made them not sound like the tapes is fairly unlikely.

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

It is easy enough to replicate EQ, if it is desired - maybe MFSL wanted to match the Mastersound? Do they both match the original vinyl, perhaps?

The trouble here is that a particular mastering either is flat or it isn't (playback differences notwithstanding) - no likelihood either way for a specific case.

Unless someone here knows anything specific about the tapes or the various masterings (or both) and provides us with that information then we're just speculating.

Does the sound of the blu-ray Quad mixes match the LP editions or is that more bassy too?

Simon A likes this.
  19. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I've felt that way for well over 40 years now:)

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've put out a few feelers about previous releases. If I hear anything I will post it here.

But as far as speculation goes, there's educated speculation, and there's random speculation. The fact that multiple previous versions are quite similar, including two "audiophile" releases, seems to suggest that's more or less what the tapes sound like, and that if something sounds quite different, it's because something was done to that release. Is it possible that all previous releases were processed in a similar way, and that the new release wasn't? Sure, it's *possible*. But that doesn't mean it's likely. It's a convoluted answer when a simple one exists.

21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Case in point - "Pet Sounds".

The DCC release has the most bass of any release. Why? - because it was not filtered at all. All the other releases have had the bass rolled off to some degree or other.

I'm not saying that these blu-rays are flat but I don't see any compelling evidence at this stage to refute that possibility.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Without getting into a match of engineer he-said/he-said here, I'll just say I'm not sure the issue is that cut and dried. There are various discussions about the use of EQ and tapes out there for those interested.

At the moment the evidence is pretty compelling that the Blu-rays *aren't* flat transfers.

23. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

The DCC "Pet Sounds" is flat aside from the tape deck stage and tube choices and perhaps Steve's secret ingredients (which are intended to achieve as flat and transparent a transfer as possible to 16/44.1 with the system he's mastering with) - that's all I know.

Something about these blu-rays tells there's more to this EQ 'correction' than meets the eye (ear).

Whatever the case, what an amazing set of recordings!

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again, without getting into it here, that has been disputed by at least one other engineer with knowledge of the album and tapes.

25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

SWD? ML? LW? Come on Luke, spill the beans.

:)

Edit: I also recall that Steve helped the fades a little (not too much).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016