American Horror Story - Season 6 Roanoke *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Aggie87, Sep 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Wow, the newest episode was *awful.*

Why would the main "real" couple ever go back to that house? The whole thing falls apart right there. The Paulson "actor" character even poses this question within the show, and no plausible answer is available.

And yes, Paulson's British accent is awful.

If they're going for camp or funny instead of horror, it's not that either.

The thing doesn't even begin to feel "real" in any way (really, in this "universe", an Unsolved Mysteries-style show about a haunted house was the hit of the season and got better ratings than "The Walking Dead"?), so I wish they'd dispense with trying and just do something decent.

Why would the "actor" characters, fresh off of supposed huge success and acclaim (and award nominations even?!?) agree to go on essentially a variation of "Big Brother", and not only agree to it, but have *no* problem being a total a-hole on the show? Why would they immediately tank their new-found fame and acclaim? Makes no sense.

Bates is awful. They *could* have done some creepy with her "actor" character being insane. Instead, they dial it past "11" and make the whole thing absurd, but not absurd enough to be funny.

Note to the "producers" of the show within the show's second season: The court probably won't take your "restraining order" against the actress seriously if you lure her into an interview in order to "serve" her with it, including conducting the full interview after getting the order, and saying on camera that you want her to break it.

The only interesting thing during the episode was the strangely "blink and you'll miss it" on-screen text that reveals the fate of all of the cast members. I suppose revealing that was a bit interesting (if immediately reminding everyone that it's a rip-off of "Blair Witch Project" and a million movies that came after it) in terms of the show now relying on the "how" being interesting instead of the "what."

Scott222C and Alfie Noakes like this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Shelby does it because she wants a chance to reunite with Matt. I don't know why Matt went, though. Money? To support his sister, who wants to convince people she's not a murderer?

JimW likes this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I guess that's her motivation, but if she *really* believes anybody and everybody could be killed, wouldn't the murder of her and Matt and everybody else supersede her need to have a good marriage counseling moment with Matt?

4. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em! Thread Starter

I'll be curious to see how tonight (and the rest of the season) plays out. Since we were told only one person survives of those that entered the house this time, and that it's found footage now, it may be interesting.

On the other hand, if it's just a continual series of gruesome deaths until one if left standing, that doesn't seem like much of a plot. I'm hoping for more, but we'll see.

Another point which I touched on before, everything else we saw up until this episode was either the real characters talking to a camera or actors reenacting things.

So the two nurses we saw in the last episode that killed Evan Peters - they're the first "real" ghosts/spirits/evil beings that are trapped in and around the house that we've seen so far. And they looked pretty much exactly like the actors that were portraying them earlier in the reenactment.

I'm still wondering if the "real" Butcher shows up and looks like Kathy Bates, etc. It would almost disappoint me if they do, because those were simply actors hired to portray those roles previously.

For that matter, Evan Peters can now be used to portray two actual ghosts at the house now too - the original builder Edward Mott, and now the newly deceased actor Rory Monahan.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  5. agentalbert

We saw her. She looked much more terrifying than Kathy Bates.

As for the nurses from the prior episode, we didn't see them close enough to know if it was the same actresses playing them, But since they obviously used different actors to play the real ghost mob compared to the enactment ghost mob, I'm assuming the nurses were different too.

I think its time for this series to reset before it continues with the next season. There's a sameness that has been going on for awhile. Maybe Murphy needs to stop using the same cash over and over and over and go with all new people for next season.

Aggie87 likes this.
  6. agentalbert

I didn't think it was Kathy Bates playing the "real" Butcher, but just read that it was. I thought she looked sufficiently different, but they didn't show her face close up or for long.

7. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I am going with "Under the dome" mode on this one now and stopped watching at Ep4, but will monitor the thread here for fun and information - some posts are more enjoyable to me than actually watching the show this season.

And yes, "Channel Zero" seems so much better so far.

8. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Lol @ stop using the same cash over and over :laugh:

I think it is the pressure to come up with a "novel concept" within the "general concept" (Horror theme) every season that begins to fail, rather than the actors.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

So who's going to be the final survivor, and why?

10. agentalbert

True, the show has run its course. But if they're going to keep on (I thought I read it was already renewed for next season), I think a cast change might help bring something fresh to it. Someone new might bring something unexpected. Murphy isn't going to replace himself. Could be its all just too comofrtable with the same guy at the top and the same cast back each year. Its not guaranteed to work, but I don't see what they have to lose.

11. Vinyl Addict

They have added new cast members this year though

12. agentalbert

Yeah, there's some. It's not ONLY the same people every year.

13. While I "like" the show, but mostly watch it because the wife and I like to spend time with her shows, as well; this last episode, "Chapter 7" (10-26-2016), was the absolute worse episode I have seen of this show, and pretty much any other show I have ever watched, for that matter.

At no single point did it make sense, except when the real Butcher chopped the fake Butcher in the head. There's no way those people would have continued to walk around with their cameras on. There's no way the hillbillies have their own cameras, to what...? Watch their pot grown, when they can't even afford to take a shower? There's no way Lee shoots the fake Butcher and doesn't pop her in the head for good measure. There's no way that the fake Butcher pulls that bullet out like that (which, by the way, looked like a 45 slug, while the revolver she was shot with looked to the be a .38). There's also no way that the crew in the trailer get slaughtered like that and the cameraman just stands around until it's his turn to die.

I mention all of this because they took a fairly cool premise and just destroyed it with last night's episode.

NOTE: Last night Matt gets the crowbar to the head, in a very brutal and graphic manner, very similar to what happened in TWD. Of course nobody says anything because the show is not near as popular as TWD. heh.

Rufus McDufus and tonyc like this.
  14. Vinyl Addict

I never understood why TWD is popular.

15. agentalbert

Matt's also not a long-time beloved character of the show, the way Glenn was on TWD.

16. Aggie87

We immediately commented that it looked exactly like what happened on TWD when that happened, lol.

My wife's prediction once early in the episode was that Kathy Bates' character would be the sole survivor, despite going crazy and starting to believe she actually was The Butcher. Which would've been interesting I think. Not sure who it could be now - my guess is either real Shelby or real Lee. Real Lee's daughter needs a mom since her dad was killed.

Now the ones who moved back into the house (and the producers) who have died on the grounds - do they become ghosts/spirits/whatever too?

17. I guess we found out that Matt did it for the nookie.

18. Aggie87

Effectively that's true I guess, but I think she also put some sort of spell on him that caused him to want her. He looked possessed when he went downstairs to the basement to her. Just like when he saw her originally (at least in the reenactment, in the woods and in the storage cellar).

I am not sure that was all of his own free will.

19. Well, it is fiction. At this point either the writers-directors-producers-cast have you in the palm of their hand or they don't. It did stretch even fictional credibility to the point that I thought it was absurd but then again I think the entire series has been since using the "fever dreams" where they introduced contemporary songs in the circus season.

Yeah I assumed it was that he returned, wasn't sure why and when he went in the basement the full spell kicked in.

I think the difference is more that the characters on "The Walking Dead" aren't new and have been around for seven seasons. Fans grew attached to Glenn, Red a little less so but still he had his moments as well.

Matt--not so much. Edit: Agent Albert made the same observation.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Bleh, just watched Episode 7 and 8 after putting it off for a while for lack of enthusiasm.

The show has turned into a "Final Destination" movie, as if the writers decided on various kill types then all that's left is to see which character does which thing in which order.

It's also like they just made a list of "edgy" tropes (incest, drugs, cannibalism, etc.) and shoehorned them all in.

The whole thing is dreadfully tedious, and every actor is trying to one-up each other's *awful* accents. They can't even stay consistent on the accents within individual lines in some cases.

And, while they dispensed with the crew of course, I just realized that the entire premise of the crew and filming a reality show and giving each person their own camera, etc. is comically close to the gawdawful "Halloween: Resurrection" movie.

Scott222C, Kyhl and JCRW like this.
  21. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

If Busta Rhymes comes in to save the day, I bail.

22. agentalbert

This isn't nearly as good as any of the "Final Destination" movies. Those at least had some real tension and inventive deaths. This last episode reminded me of Eli Roth's "Hostel", which I enjoy to a point, but as you said, this show has just become tedious. I really couldn't care less which way it turns out or who survives at this point.

LOL!

23. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I feel obliged to watch until the end but the last couple of episodes might be the worst television I have ever seen.

"Hotel" is an absolute masterpiece compared to this.

Kyhl likes this.
  24. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Yeah...I'm in the same boat...I really hate the Blair Witch/reality show concept just so lazy imo...beyond tedious as we watch them die one by one, although Cuba Goodings character made me laugh a few times in the last episode...glad to see Wes Bentley show up at the end of the last episode, I think he's really underrated, he was awesome in AHS Hotel.

tonyc and Vinyl Addict like this.
  25. Aggie87

You could argue that same problem has been going on the past few seasons. It becomes much more about visual shock and overload rather than actual plot.

I had hope that this season would be better than the past couple, because it seems truly creepy early on. I still think I like it better than Hotel and Freak Show, but it is lacking in the storyline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.