The Walking Dead Season 7! Sunday October 23rd 2016!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Oct 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

My issue with him is not how he looks physically. He's a good enough actor to pull off menacing. My issue is his dialogue. Eeeny meeny money moe is hardly the stuff of terror. He goes on and on but doesn't say anything.

xdawg likes this.
  2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Attitude, charisma, mental health, sadism and following through on threats outweigh physical size. Charles Manson is 5'2 & was quite intimidating in his day. You don't have to be large to be a badass.

xdawg, DreadPikathulhu and Hall Cat like this.
  3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you were on your knees in front if a guy with a baseball bat wrapped with barbed wire I am pretty sure you'd be pissing yourself in terror and praying the final word doesn't land on you.

4. You know, Rick really could have killed Negan in that van. Not when Negan pulled the gun, but there was a few times when Negan was behind the wheel, and the axe was in the table, that I just don't see anybody reacting fast enough to prevent their head from being split.

You shouldn't be able to pull apart the best TV shows as much as TWD gets throttled by "fans." I can't even fault The Strain as much as TWD.

Seriously. I'm actually shocked that more people aren't watching The Strain and using that show, like Lucille, to bludgeon TWD to death.

Shawn, ex_mixer and GentleSenator like this.
  5. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I thought about that too....seemed like the whole RV trip was a stretch to believe.

Sure....it's a show about zombies....but it seemed like a realistic show about zombies....until now.

In my humble opinion, of course :D

6. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Fair enough point. But his dialogue is still childlike and unintimidating. If he had dialogue...and a delivery like Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction he'd have people pissing their pants without need of any barbed wire bat.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. spewey

spewey Senior Member

True.....although Manson was abused badly in prison before he got out and started sweeet talking insecure runaway girls to join his "family"

I'm looking forward to finding out what makes Negan "tick"

Right now -- I'm just not seeing a man who can inspire the loyalty of a large post apocalyptic army.

I could see it with The Governor....but not yet with Negan.

8. But at that point Rick was pretty broken mentally...

Michael likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

knowing what he is capable of is plenty...the man has a dead soul...and has no boundaries.

10. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Interesting discussion about the show.......I've been a fan since the first episode but have to admit that I started to get a bit bored with the direction of the show last season. I understand that it's not supposed to be an action based show per se, but I found myself wondering how many more episodes of people wandering around in the woods can we have? I think the show was much better when Ricks's group had a larger goal while meeting antagonists along the way. I've talked to tons of fans who feel the same way. I just think the overall plot would be better served if they kept the spirit of the show the same while trying to accomplish something greater......say for example they meet a mysterious someone.....maybe a former government official or something like that) who has evidence of a "safe zone" or a US military base or something (a real one, not like Terminus).......kind of like when they were trying to get to the CDC. I just think that the events of the last couple of seasons would be better served in a greater context.

- Buck

beat_truck and KOWHeigel like this.
  11. BrentR79

BrentR79 Forum Resident

I kind of thought the whole point of the RV scene was to bolster Negan's badassedness. He takes the shows hero in an RV and turns his back on him with access to the hatchet, then makes him "fetch my hatchet". He may not be physically as big as the Rock, but he has jumbo coconut balls.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  12. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

If Rick killed Negan in the RV, his captive friends would be killed.

Gumboo and Bingo Bongo like this.
  13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I somewhat agree. Jesus making it to the truck's roof in seconds.....there's a TON of things that challenge credibility in this show.

What about reality? Recently, a local guy jumped off of a bridge with his 1 and 3-year-old sons. It was a 100 foot drop. They survived. He didn't. Sound like a movie? It wasn't.

Some things on TV or in movies are just hard to buy, though, which I understand.

I do not think Negan as portrayed by JDM is one of them.

I think someone who is a leader of this kind MUST be charismatic on that level, MUST be uncompromising, etc(and yes, I'll say it, I am not used to seeing JDM play a character like this, which to me does have its own impact). Cracking bad jokes--as he bludgeons people to a horrifying death with people screaming all around--is just sociopathic and ill. To see him be so blase about the terrible things he does is chilling.

I hate to admit it, but Negan might be one of the most interesting characters to enter the TWD scape in a long time. I really can't wait to see what he's going to do next. Is he anything BUT intense? I think I'm in, at least to see where they go with this.

Dan

Hall Cat and Gumboo like this.
  14. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Now, that is an idea: Samuel Jackson as Neegan.

That long monologue would have been for the ages.

DLeet and Chris from Chicago like this.
  15. spewey

spewey Senior Member

That's all I wanna know...how does Cracking bad jokes--as he bludgeons people to a horrifying death -- inspire a large number of people to join him and be loyal to his every command?

I hope we find out more about Negan....because that is too far of a stretch for me.

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

This is my problem with Negan and his followers as well. His followers must all be severely damaged people in order to fall in line behind him. If that's the case, some of them are the kind of folks that won't toe the line, so I don't understand how he can still be in power. It would only take a few of the bigger dudes to coordinate a coup and take Negan down.

He must have more going for him than just intimidation. Perhaps this will be revealed as the show progresses, otherwise it doesn't make any sense to me why he's still alive.

Shawn and spewey like this.
  17. In Negan's eyes, Rick and company attacked and killed his crew first. It's just payback for him.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, you guys nailed what I've been thinking as well. I get that many of us have a dark nature lurking just beneath the surface, and a zombie apocalypse would likely bring out the worst in a lot of people, but there's no way that a huge number of people would be on board with Negan's brutality. And his brutality doesn't exactly seem like a secret. It's not like Hitler and the German populace at large, where the brutality of the camps was "hidden" away "elsewhere" and people could be in various states of ignorance or denial about the truth. This is a man publicly bashing two guys' heads in, not to mention it's documented in photos that are distributed to the ranks. Would a large group of people really witness that and think, "This seems like a good and just leader to get behind?" Most would be horrified and disgusted.

Shawn and spewey like this.
  19. There are always a segment of the population who will follow someone who tells them what they want to hear. Truths or lies. He is getting to them in a very simplistic way and since them feel protected and fed, they will blindly follow. They done;t care if they are stepping on others to get what they want because they don't really care about the others . :tiphat:

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yes, you do have a point. I think it's going to be interesting to hopefully see how the Saviors' society functions, which, based on the trailer for this season, we will.

21. Funny how topical this really is......

misterdecibel likes this.
  22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Anyone else wish Morgan had been present during Negan's double beat-down? Maybe it would have shut him up about the "all life is precious" schtick.

vegafleet, Rubber65 and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Exactly....Negan is so one dimensional with his brutality....and unless he has control of all the food and water somewhere....I don't see how a less than physically imposing and VERY openly sadistic old man can inspire a large group to follow him. He acts like an obnoxious drunk in your favorite bar....and you hope they kick him out soon. You're probably not thinking "He's awesome....I wanna have drinks with him"

I like to watch Walking Dead because for the most part....it was believable to me. I could understand why The Governor had his group...or why the cannibals did their thing...but so far....this Negan group is like a Loony Toons cartoon....and I guess I'm just not supposed to question where the Coyote gets all the money for his gadgets?

rufus t firefly and Shawn like this.
  24. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Well...Morgan finally did kill a guy last season to save Carol....so that's progress....haha

25. Yeah, but think about this: It's not like a community of people came up to Negan and said, "Hey you seem like the biggest sadist of the bunch; we'll follow YOU!"

No, just like with Rick's group, it can be one person and then another, and another who joins, and the group is still pretty small, so the attitude is Join Us or Leave. People stay. They begin to see that Negan (just like Rick) provides. The next thing you know, you have 50 people in a group, and the people who are with Negan from the begining are viciously loyal (that's Michonne, Daryl, Glenn, etc.). So, in the end, when you have hundreds of people nobody opposed Negan because not only had he provided, leaving his whole community high on the hog, but he has also instilled a new philosophy, a new world order, that you take from others or they will suffer, because WE surely won't suffer. If nobody likes it, well, they can leave. Nobody is holding them back. They are free to go and find food, companionship and shelter elsewhere. But it won't be with the luxury that Negan provides.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.