Frank Sinatra - Where To Start?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by powelb, Apr 8, 2013.

1. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I was recently given these files. Can the experts tell me if any of this has been officially released?
    First 8 tracks are studio outtakes I think

01. What Is This Thing Called Love [February 16, 1955]
    02. The Tender Trap [September 13, 1955]
    03. Moonlight in Vermont [October 3, 1957]
    04. Lush Life [incomplete, May 25, 1958]
    05. Willow Weep for Me [May 29, 1958]
    06. Gone with the Wind [June 24, 1958]
    07. She's Funny That Way [March 2, 1960]
    08. How Deep Is the Ocean [March 3, 1960]
    === And More: Live In The Fifties ===
    09. I've Got the World on a String ["Showband Show," London, BBC, July 16, 1953]
    10. Day In, Day Out ["Showband Show," London, BBC, July 16, 1953]
    11. Take a Chance ["General Electric Show," CBS, Hollywood, March 28, 1954]
    12. I'll Be Seeing You ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, November 8, 1957]
    13. From This Moment On ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, November 15, 1957]
    14. Baby, Won't You Please Come Home ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, November 15, 1957]
    15. I Believe ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, May 23, 1958]
    16. We'll Be Together Again ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, May 19, 1958]
    17. Lonely Town ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, May 23, 1958]
    18. I Love You ["The Frank Sinatra Show," ABC, Hollywood, February 14, 1958]

2. vzok

vzok Forum Resident

I'd also suggest trying out some of Sinatra's live albums at an early point in your search. Sinatra At The Sands is the first that would jump to mind. However I also like Seattle 1957 and Sydney 1961. Seattle is available on it's own, but you can also find it as a 2CD set with Best Of The Best for a live / compilation double hit.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The first-listed track, an alternate take of "What Is This Thing Called Love?", was released officially last year.

From —> New "Ultimate Sinatra" collections coming April 21, 2015...
    In addition to the (Europe-only) downloadable EP mentioned at the end of that article, it is available on the bonus disc in the Japan 5-CD edition of Ultimate Sinatra. (See —> this post in the same thread.)

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

See thread: —> Frank Sinatra best live album?

MLutthans likes this.
  5. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

The BBC recordings can be found on the Sinatra: London Set. There is an alternate take of What Is This Thing Called Love released on the Ultimate Sinatra: The Centennial Edition set, as Bob mentioned earlier. But that alternate take is four minutes long and features an extended clarinet solo. The version you have should be more in keeping with the version that was eventually released.

MLutthans likes this.
  6. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

The Capitol scorecard link helped me a lot, but what about the Columbia recordings? I have that Sony compilation called "The Voice", but i'm wondering aout the best digital option for the complete Columbia recordings...

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Currently, there is only one choice (out of print) for the COMPLETE Columbia recordings. That was the 1993 12-CD box set, The Columbia Years 1943-1952: The Complete Recordings, aka the "Big Blue Box" or BBB. There is a new reissue anticipated later this year:

See thread —> Sinatra on Columbia (Official/Authorized Releases)

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

thank you (and Bob as well)

Bob F likes this.
  9. Hatchet Jack

Which Columbia digital release is your favorite, the one with the best sound? And do you know if they released those albums alone on CD, or they're only available in boxsets? The Sony Mastersound i have sound really good...

10. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Your circa 1994 Mastersound "Collector's Edition" gold CD titled THE VOICE was not a reissue of an "original" LP, but rather a Columbia compilation from 1955. There were many such compilations issued by Columbia in the '50s to compete with Sinatra's popular Capitol albums, but most have less than ideal sound (e,g., drenched in excessive reverb). Many of these were reissued (with the same sonic deficiencies) on CD in Japan only, in the late '80s.

Anything released on CD by Columbia/Legacy (since the digital transfers made for the 1993 big box set I mentioned) has excellent sound. "Best sound" may be found in some even newer transfers made for the 2007 4-CD set, A VOICE IN TIME, but that is not a complete collection.

The 12-CD "BBB" is not organized by albums but by chronological recordings. In fact, there were very few Sinatra Columbia albums. Most of his Columbia output was released on singles. His very first original album (eight songs) was THE VOICE OF FRANK SINATRA (1946), which was reissued in expanded form on a single CD by Columbia/Legacy in 2003. This shares a number of tracks with the earlier Mastersound comp, but in better digital sound.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

See here for an explanation of the various "The Voice" albums:

Sinatra Family Forum —> "The Voice" clarification

The Columbia thread I linked in my previous post should provide additional suggestions. There have been many single CDs released by Legacy since 1993 using the BBB masters, as listed at my signature link. Happy listening!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes, indeed! There is no need to be focused on "original albums" from anything that came from the 78 era. Sure there was the occasional 78 album of 4 records, or a 10 inch LP, but it is better to focus on the individual songs themselves.

12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I'm not an expert and the discography is huge but these work for me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

enfield and Simon A like this.
  13. Hatchet Jack

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm really digging "Point of No Return" right now. Not one of his most beloved albums, but is one of my favorites.

RogerB and Simon A like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Despite all the "top ten" type lists, all of the Capitol albums were consistently great.

Simon A and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  15. Hatchet Jack

Where can i find the best mastering of L.A. Is My Lady? Is the Complete Reprise Studio Recordings boxset a good option? I'm curious about this album since George Benson plays on it and also cause of Quincy Jones of course. I'm also wondering if his other Reprise albums are worth seeking out.

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Well, his Reprise records are more than worth seeking out -- many if not most of them are essential. Check out She Shot Me Down from 1981. After a couple of listenings, you'll be drawn in by its meditative, lyrical darkness. His voice is so, so wonderful here. Check out All Alone arranged by Gordon Jenkins.

Of course the very first Reprise Ring-a-Ding-Ding is beyond essential!

I admit I love his Columbia/Capitol eras more, but every time I pick out a Reprise album it knocks me out!

Hatchet Jack likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Sands is the one live Sinatra album that makes me feel like I am there in a smokey hall with floodlights, wine glass jingling and royal blue black tuxes. A transportive album imo.

mikedifr0923 and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  18. Hatchet Jack

Guys, the 1995 boxset of Sinatra's Reprise albums is the best digital mastering available?

enfield likes this.
  19. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I recently picked up the three CD Capitol Years cd box set at at a thrift store for only a buck in perfect shape (great booklet too), what an awesome collection, great sounding too!
    I also have the abridged 1 cd version from the same collection as well.
    The Capitol era is my favorite when it comes to FS.

rangerjohn likes this.
  20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

When Capitol allowed their teams to prepare their compilations well, we would get something along the lines of that 3 CD collection. Yes, you are correct, it is a superb sounding set. I'm glad you were lucky to find it for this price and in that condition.

I tended to share this opinion until I took the time to sit down and listen to Frank's Columbia recordings. Should you be able to find it at a reasonable price, I invite you to try the A Voice In Time 4 CD set. It is in my opinion the best retrospective of Frank's rich and varied work for the label and with superb sound.

As for the Reprise years, I've never been happy with a compilation. I tend more to cherry pick a few albums and appreciate them as complete works. Should you enjoy Frank's slower concept albums (aka the Suicide Albums), I invite you to lend your ear to Sinatra & Strings and September Of My Years.

Have fun digging through these treasures. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    RogerB, Bob F and rangerjohn like this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

22. Jason Pumphrey

I also recently Amazon PM'D the Ultimate Sinatra cd with bonus abridged concert disc at Target for less than 7 bucks.
    Of course it is a flawed collection, but career spanning multi label collection on one 25 track shiny cd is gonna have some limitations, hence some major omissions, The Lady is a Tramp is a prime example of that.
    Still, it's a nice collection nonetheless.
    Perfect for a Sinatra newbie or a nice cd just first having a one disc career spanning collection .

23. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I started with 'In The Wee Small Hours'..A collection of songs about lost love.Superb.Very good sound as well from the CD version.

Simon A likes this.
  24. Jason Pumphrey

Must be my lucky day, just grabbed the Classic Sinatra (1953-60) cd in mint shape for a buck just now at my local thrift store.
    One major omission on it, no Love and Marriage.

How the Capitol Collectors Series CD?, I see that one on occasion, just never picked it up.

25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

That's an excellent series all around. It offers an excellent way to discover many of Capitol's 40's & 50's Classic Pop artists. You won't regret getting them.

Turmatic likes this.