Fisher 50b (Garrard MKii) Arm stops short

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Picture Snatcher, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents Thread Starter

Hey what do you hear what do you say

I have a Fisher 50 b and the arm stops short on the last track on every record. I read somewhere that it needs to be opened up, the (auto-trip?) mechanism cleaned and re-greased. I'm not great with stuff and have never opened up a turntable before. Can anyone give me any advice/tips here? What should I use to lube it up after cleaning it? Big risk of screwing it up?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Please get us a picture of what Garrard you have, then I know what model number of changer you have. Then I can give you an idea of what will be involved getting it running again.

Picture Snatcher likes this.
  3. Picture Snatcher

Its the Garrard 40 Mkii I believe. here is a video on youtube

4. Picture Snatcher

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. Picture Snatcher

have the manual for the mk 50 ii but I just don't understand how to remove the platter. I don't get how to remove the c clip at all and I can't make sense of any of the lingo in the manual

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You can pop the c clip with a screwdriver. They're replaceable if you bend it. There are special c clip removing tools. Cheap ones are a couple bucks. I saw one at the 99 cent store the other day. all that clip does is hold the platter on for transport. You can live without if for a while if you bend or lose it. I leave mine off so I can lube and clean the idler.

7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Be careful when you remove the C clip or it can go flying who knows where. We used to call them Jesus clips.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, keep a finger on top of it when you pop it.

9. Picture Snatcher

Can you guys explain to me how I remove the c clip with a screw driver? Can you also possibly walk me through removing the platter and cleaning the auto trip mechanism

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

You need a very small screwdriver and just pry it off. I've never seen the tt in question but I would expect the platter just lifts off. As for the rest, hopefully someone with experience here can chime on. As a rule though, I would cycle through and watch to see which part is the trip lever and go from there.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Go on YouTube and look at radiotvphononut's Garrard changer overhaul video. His changer he's working on uses a similar mechanism to your changer. He explains and shows you what you need to do, and what you need to do it with.

12. Picture Snatcher

Cool thanks guys I will check out that video and give it a try. Do I need to oil the auto trip mechanism after cleaning the grease off?

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Where there has been grease, I would prefer to use grease. Lithium grease is a nice all-purpose grease that is plastic safe and frequently used in tables. But that Garrard is probably all-metal so I think oil will also be fine in that case. Lubrication won't be as long lasting and the mechanism will act a tad less smoothly, but it won't hurt anything. I say, grease it.

14. Picture Snatcher

I keep reading conflicting reports...I've seen a lot of people say this mechanism is supposed to be dry, no grease and thats why it's not working..so it should be wiped dry.

15. Picture Snatcher

hey which is the video you mean? i'm having trouble finding it...this one ?

16. Picture Snatcher

is there a method to remvoing to the c clip or any kind of video showing how to do it?

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, that video. And getting the C clip off is tricky.

18. Picture Snatcher

well i cant even get close to remiving the c clip and all i did was put a huge dent in the center of the platter. ****. is there someone who can help? i cant even tell what the c clip is, whether its the whole metal thing or just the top, the video isnt helpful..

19. Picture Snatcher

I mean its helpful for seeing the mechanism but just not helpful for removing the c clip lol i cant getthe damn thing off

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

21. Picture Snatcher

I dont see anything that looks like that

22. Picture Snatcher

it has a platter retaining clip thats just loose around the spindle
    [​IMG]

23. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

This is the hard way. There is no need to pry or apply leverage.
    1) The clip opening is rotated a little off center about 10 degrees from the slot so that a solid part of the clip runs across the slot.
    2) with a small screwdriver or awl inside the post slot, push outward on the clip. The clip will move easily outward.
    3) move the small screwdriver or awl between the clip and the post and slide it around the post.

The clip pops off like butter, so easy when it's done right. There is no chance to slip and muck up the trim ring.

Installation is easy, and just be sure to line up the clip opening with the slot.

24. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Hi Snatcher,
    That snap ring is stretched and should not be reused. Normally the outer tangs are squeezed with needle nose pliers to remove and install. Don't go by this photo, the ring is grossly distorted out of shape, the tangs in the wrong position.

If the trip pawl is seized up, it can be loosened with naptha or WD-40. Work it back and forth or tap lightly with a small brass hammer. Clean the parts and cycle cam slot of all grease. Regrease the slot, but DO NOT grease the pawl. The trip pawl should not be lubricated. Some techs apply a little WD-40, but even this is wrong as the oil can cause it to stick or not return properly and cause intermittent arm malfunction. The pawl must fall (move) under its own weight. Dry silicone lube is ok, and will help prevent oxidation.

If you're not mechanically inclined, or not prepared to replace parts damaged from your first try, ship it to a qualified tech.
    Turntables are not too complex, and not too difficult to repair. (at least I find not to be) Sometimes it takes a leap of faith, some common sense, and a service manual.
    Best advice: work clean. Make sure your parts are clean and dry before you lube.
    rock on,
    Steve VK

25. Picture Snatcher

Thanks Steve! I can't seem to find where the c clip is attached, is there definitely one on the 40 mk ii?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.