Justin Hayward - All The Way (solo best of)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fred68, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This is being released on 10/14/16. Amazon is currently blowing them out for 7 bucks.

Two weeks later, an "Amazon Exclusive" edition is coming out, but as yet there are no details on their site.

Finally, there is a two disc "Tour Edition", supposedly limited to 500 copies, that will be sold during Justin's UK tour (a few copies have shown up on the bay). A digital download of the double disc version will also be available.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    ARK and Lostchord like this.
  2. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

His 70th birthday. Nice :)

EDIT

I can see it already available on Deezer.

Here's Deezer's tracklist:
    1. Blue Guitar
    2. Forever Autumn
    3. Broken Dream
    4. Troubadour
    5. The Best Is Yet to Come
    6. One Day Someday
    7. One Lonely Room
    8. In Your Blue Eyes
    9. Vincent
    10. Nights In White Satin [live version]
    11. Raised On Love
    12. It's Not Too Late
    13. The Story In Your Eyes [this is the not so long ago published solo version with the string quartet]
    14. The Western Sky
    15. The Wind of Heaven
    16. Lay It On Me
    17. Nostradamus
    18. Moving Mountains
    19. I Heard it
    20. I Dreamed Last Night [live version]
    21. Crazy Lovers
    22. Silver Bird
    23. It Won't Be Easy
    24. Lost and Found
    25. Stage Door
    26. Scarborough Fair
    27. The Way of the World
    28. Night Flight
    29. Gypsy [seems like the same format as for The Story In Your Eyes]
    30. The Eastern Sun

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Fred68 likes this.
  3. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Pushed back again, the release was originally planned the 30th September.
    Anyway I already downloaded the 2 disc version from Qobuz.
    Thought it's a missed opportunity that it doesn't include some more songs Justin did for different projects.
    Still it does include some nice alternative versions like the original "Blue Guitar" without orchestra and many of the overdubs and string quartet versions of "The Story in Your Eyes" and "Gypsy".
    Also I really like the new song "The Wind of Heaven".
    I quess "Nights in White Satin" had to be included somehow but I wouldn't have minded if it was left off.

Lostchord likes this.
  4. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

It's on iTunes, Qobuz and other digital download and streaming services since mid September.
    Strange that there is such a delay for the cd release.

Lostchord likes this.
  5. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Oh wow, hadn't even noticed that.
    Listening to it now, really nice.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Hmmm. Not on Apple Music yet but I'll keep an eye out. I've always been a big Moodies fan but never fully got around to Justin's solo stuff. Whittling it down to a best-of playlist is definitely something I'd add to the queue.

wayneklein likes this.
  7. Lostchord

Lostchord Dr. Livingstone, I presume

of course it would be impossible to satisfy everybody's tastes with one compilation, and this selection I find very good

(though I share RicZ's opinion that it's a pity that some of the obscure non-album tracks are not included)

still, I miss these two very-Moody Blues-sounding tracks badly: Doin' Time and Suitcase

(on the other hand, The Easter Sun as the closer - very moving!)

8. Fred68

I would have preferred Doin' Time to Nostradamus (the last two tracks from Songwriter), and the album would have benefited with another rocker.

Fortuleo likes this.
  9. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

+1

other omissions
    "Nearer to You" (much better than Night Flight, and a Justin composition)
    most of the best Moving Mountains songs (One Again and Goodbye come to mind)
    + this (enjoyable) comp is also a missed opportunity to make some of the pre-moodies solo singles available at last.

somebodywhocares likes this.
  10. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

This indeed would have been a perfect release for these solo singles.
    I've not been able to find the cd release so far, seems the delivery time is up to a month here in the Netherlands.
    Not that there is any rush but I am not sure why the delay, some obscure record label or distributor maybe.

11. Fred68

12. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Fred68 likes this.
  13. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

"Blue Guitar" never had an orchestra. The sample I've heard sounds like the familiar version that was included as a bonus track on the Blue Jays CD. Can you confirm that this version is distinct?

14. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

In 1989, Justin recorded a song with Annie Haslam (Renaissance) called 'The Angels Cry', released on the (imaginatively titled) album 'Annie Haslam'. You can listen to this very pleasant song and tell it was intended as a full duet, but in the end, Justin's vocal was almost entirely mixed out of it. A lost opportunity then that 'The Angels Cry' couldn't be licensed, remixed as the full duet intended, and released on this present comp.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

May look into this - love Forever Autumn but that's all I know except Nights which is a Moody's song

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

is the digital version still out there? I checked Amazon and Itunes today and saw nothing.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

crap, was hoping amazon was going to have the 2 cd version

rstamberg and Digital-G like this.
  18. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Probably 25% of this disk fits the Moody Blues mold (Blue Guitar, In Your Blue Eyes, Nostradamus, I Heard It, etc.). . But really, for me anyway, it's mostly about his unique voice. Some of his solo stuff tends to be 'lighter' and the cover versions and remakes tend to be my least favorites (Vincent, Scarborough Fair). There are definitely some gems here though, like the first 4 tracks, In Your Blue Eyes, Lay It On Me, & The Western Sky (which is still growing on me).

I should say that I haven't actually heard this CD yet or some of the versions it contains (still waiting on my copy to arrive). I'm interested to hear The Story in Your Eyes and Gypsy, though I can't imagine I'll like them more than the originals.

19. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm curious about his cover of Scarborough Fair ,beautiful song. The only version I know is the S&G version which would be hard to top

20. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Maybe his covers are okay, it's just that the original versions of these songs (Scarborough Fair & Vincent) are so ingrained in my brain that I have a hard time getting past that. It's a case where I don't think the originals can be bested. I've got the Classic Blue album that Justin did which are all (?) remakes (including God Only Knows, Stairway to Heaven, & Whiter Shade of Pale) and it just doesn't get too many spins. I do actually like the songs that I hadn't heard before, like Bright Eyes and As Long as the Moon Can Shine. Maybe it's a case of cover-version overload.

21. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

This would have been a perfect home for the stunning 'Tregardock' ...... :love: ...... a song Justin recorded in the late '80s for the UK Poetry In Motion project.

Hep Alien and Digital-G like this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Weird release ... although it's one that sounds quite pretty.

willy likes this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Is there a 2-CD version? Details?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Fred68

rstamberg likes this.
  25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes. sold at his shows or website or something

rstamberg likes this.