Comfortable, good sounding headphones that don't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BroJB, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATH-M50. The answer is always ATH-M50. :D

Greg Carrier and LeeS like this.
  2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Grado SR-80s? Not exactly comfortable, but very nice sounding.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

6. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

7. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

8. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Sennheiser HD600. Look no further.

billnunan likes this.
  9. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

I love my AKG K550's, dont know about prices over there but id imagine a used pair should be under that budget.

[​IMG]

LeeS likes this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Repeat it at least 6 more times, and we will finally get it...

billnunan likes this.
  11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Tell that to the forum software not me.

Heavy Music and Ham Sandwich like this.
  12. Ohhhhh YEEEESSSSS. :righton: I just got a pair of their ATH-M50x's, and I am LOVIN' 'em. :D They're some of the most natural-sounding headphones I've ever heard; when listening to music through those things, I feel like I'm actually sitting/standing in the studio while the recording is being made. They're designed to be very, very accurate headphones, which is what I like, 'cause I prefer to hear as much of the true sound of the source material as possible. They're also excellent at rejecting outside noise as well, which makes it easier to hear low-level details in recordings through those things. I previously had a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones whose padding had completely deteriorated over time, and are, as of this post, about 13 years old. Now, the Audio-Technicas vs. the Sonys? That's like the difference between a fresh hamburger and a stale one; the Audio-Technicas just bring out so much more good "flavor" contained in the sound that the Sonys just don't do, if you know what I mean. :winkgrin:

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Hey, LOL, you never know...

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The forum software was being unusually weird last night at the time you made your post. I also tried to post at that time and didn't get the usual non-posting behavior you usually get when the forum is in maintenance mode. I got no error at all. The post didn't even get that far. Other posts on the forum from other people were going through, but my post wasn't. I saved a draft of what I was trying to post. And waited till the next day to see if what I tried to post eventually posted. It didn't. So I posted what I had saved in the draft. And that worked. Very weird. I've tried posting while the forum has been in maintenance mode before, and it has never behaved like that. Last night was exceptionally weird.

Heavy Music and GuildX700 like this.
  15. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I agree on the ATH_M50x, I just got a pair and love them. I've also got Grado 80s and Sennheiser 558s. The Sennies sound a little more open and less 'live', but they are an open backed 'phone (as are the Grados, which do sound nice but they are not particularly comfortable) and the AT's are closed-back. Each has their place but if I were to pick one it would be the ATs.

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Koss PortaPros and Koss SportaPros: Both are comfortable to wear for long periods of time and have good sound for the money (both are available for less than $50). Of the two, I prefer the SportaPros because they don't have the excessive bass (to me) that the PortaPros have (however, the bass can be compensated for via an equalizer adjustment like the "Bass Reducer" on the iPod).

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  17. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

ATH-m50X

I have Beyer dt-770's which are good, especially in my home studio, i have Denon 2000's which are excellent but have been discontinued.

My last purchase were the ATH-M50X which are simply the best i have. Very well made, comfortable and a terrific sound. Most headphones never have enough low end, and those that do are bloomy and overdone. For around $150, these are incredibly well balanced phones and you will not be disappointed. I am going to buy more for the studio.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The AKG cheapies are usually what guests in the studio use, and they sound reasonably good, and under $40 a pair, and comfortable. Many a station visitor or guest like them well enough to ask where they can buy a pair and what they are.

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Massdrop just had some $350 Hifiman cans on special for $100. There is much demand to request this deal to come back. You might look into that.

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

21. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

A good option, but it's about $120 over the OP's budget.

The HD598 is the pair I would get if $150 is the limit.

22. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Or ATH-M50x, the newer version with the detachable chord.

23. Raffy Raff

Raffy Raff Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the Sennheiser HD25; some find them not to be super comfortable, but I think that they are better than most Grados in that regard. They're closed-back and shouldn't leak too much sound either.

24. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Massdrop has some interesting cans from time to time. Just have to watch close as they are not always great deals and you may have to wait awhile to get them.

I have several sets of cans that I don't use. I have a friend that is all about them and he gets me worked up and I buy something, but just don't use them. I should sell them all. Shure 840's, B&W P5's, and Senn 700's, only ones I really use are the Bose QC20's for flying.

25. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I agree the Koss PortaPros are a stunning value, portable and sound better than they should at that price. You could also check out he Koss KTC75 phones, these are clip ones, i.e. No headband, list for $19.99, and can be had for less. All Koss headphones have a limited lifetime warranty, an added super bonus here.
    Check out head-fi.org. Always lots of discussion on budget through astronomically high headphones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.