New Denzel Washington Movie "Flight"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm in for a thread...I liked the movie as well...also liked Transformers 1 & 2 for what they were; entertaining...Geez, why the hatred?
    I do agree with the Avengers...fabulous.

2. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

My reading of the movie was that maybe he realised that there may have been no fatalities if he wasn't drug affected. In other words, that his abilities, although still superb, were beneath what he could have done. There wasn't any glorification of either alcoholism or cocaine usage, as far as I could see (and I'm very sensitive to portrayals of alcoholics). I thought it was a great movie and you may have missed some subtleties by instantly taking a stand against the superficialities of the movie. In my opinion, it put the legal fraternity in a far poorer light than pilots.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  3. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think this is somewhat like saying, does "Breaking Bad" glorify drugs, usage and sales or does it make drugs look in a very bad light.

My wife thinks its almost pro-drug use, I think it is very obviously anti-drug use, even though it paints a semi-rosey picture at times and the main antagonist is quite likable and a great guy at heart.
    They show a lot of things that appear at first to be either cool or a quick way to make money, but in the end, there is a price to pay, thing always equal out.
    Some things can be seen two different ways and still be correct.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

I just think of Zemeckis as all the worst things about Spielberg, but none of the good things. Cast Away you should see, I actually don't really hate it that much, but it's still in a way a kind of funny to me. I mean, Tom Hanks can really do no wrong, and he does a great job of holding the film brilliantly, just by himself. And I think anyone can definitely appreciate that.

But then, it's just funny to me, that the only character that Zemeckis can write that isn't Tom Hanks is a F*(#U%*$q volleyball.

And then, you are just going to snort milk through your nose at the ending. Just wait for it. Make sure you get it. Because first there's the angel. You don't want to miss that. Get it? The Angel? She's like, you know, his angel? Do you see? The connection. Then wait, waaaaait for it. Wait for it. He's standing there, at the crossroads. No, see, he's at this intersection. You know, where the roads cross? Do you GET IT? Wait: now he's looking, down each direction. Get it? Wait, we need a shot down each road that he could possibly choose. Do you get it? Do you see? Wait wait, we need a big crane shot from above, too, so you can see that he's where the roads cross. Do you get it? He's at a crossroads. Like literally, he's standing there at a crossroads. But he's also at a crossroads. Get it? Like a crossroads. You know, where the roads....they...cross. DO YOU GET IT STUPID VIEWER? Wait wait, we need another shot of Tom Hanks considering the various...directions.... he could take. Wait wait wait, and now we need intense cheesy music. We want to make REALLY SURE that you get this CROSSROADS metaphor. I don't want to belabor this, you know, but I just want to make 100% sure you get this: Tom Hanks is at a crossroads. Like...where the roads cross. It's like the...jump to conclusions mat. You know, it has different...conclusions on it that you can...jump to.

:waiting:

*sigh*

Vidiot likes this.
  5. I could get into a good Gump takedown. It had some amusing bits but man, after seeing that I wanted to smack the director and writer and maybe chew out a Boomer. :)

6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The movie was created by combining details of many actual incidents. The story is quite plausible. Due to the problem with the plane's tail, the solution that the pilot choose was the only one that could of worked. It had nothing to do with fast reflexes and everything to do with unorthodox strategy.

Many alcoholics are very functional for stretches of their lives. This, I have seen firsthand watching friends and family over the years.

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I understand. They say Mickey Mantle played drunk for most of his career, so I guess it is possible to fly a plane superbly in a crisis, although drunk and stoned.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

On October 12th , 2012, I said...
    Getting harder everyday not to be so damn cynical...

9. Rachael Bee

...or throw a no-hitter like Doc Ellis did on LSD. They said he was so wild that the batters were scared.... :D

10. Rachael Bee

....cynical.....how 'bout hostile! ;) I think I'd like to club that movie.... :D

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no justification...and as long as my family and friends ain't on it!

12. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I just saw it on Comcast cable; I thought it was a captivating and intelligent movie.

Denzel Washington was excellent as the alcoholic airline captain, Whip Whitaker. John Goodman as the captain's drug dealer was a bit hard to swallow (I like him better in Sea Of Love [1989]), but he did a decent job. The supporting cast was good too.

This inverted airplane scene was pretty amazing; it was incredible that he/Whitaker was able to get it level (

[​IMG]

I recommend it.

13. Rachael Bee

You must have really liked it to have watched it 4 times..... ;)

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

You must be seeing things. Are you willing to take a sobriety test?;)

15. Rachael Bee

....oh, yeah, I forgot to take off my 4-D glasses.... ;)

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Well, that explains everything. I'll cancel the sobriety test. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.