Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Are there already promo versions floating around?

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd laugh if this will get another expensive way like the 1965 double EP last year.

3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'd laugh if it was a re-issue of the 1965 double EP. Then I'd be disappointed it wasn't unreleased Syd. But I'd laugh first.

andrewskyDE, Wyd Syatt and Hattipper like this.
  4. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I'd be happy if it was re-release of that EP. An affordable copy of that would be great.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There'd be about 1000 people ticked, but surely many more than that happy to have a chance to buy it at a reasonable cost.

Karsten likes this.
  6. Esperanzan

Esperanzan Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but logically speaking there's actually a huge possibility that the RSD release is going to be Reaction in G.

So what do we know so far?
    • This RSD release is intended to be one of the "surprise" releases, as it has not been formally announced yet.
    • It has not been released in any form on the box set.
    • Rontoon is going to be credited, but has not had any major involvement in sourcing the release.
    • It will not be a standalone release of the singles.
    Firstly, the fact that it is not in the box in any way, shape or form is pretty significant because people involved in the project have previously come out and said that the vaults are practically "empty" by now. This heavily implies that there are no other real grails out there that are not on the box. That makes it far less likely that we are getting something like Let's Roll Another One or any other outtakes that have been previously mentioned. As it stands, we're not even quite sure that some of these exist.

But what do we almost certainly know exists? Reaction in G. On the same reel, no less, as Beechwoods. It's therefore, as we've speculated from the start, just sitting there waiting to be released.

So why did the execs not release it on the box set? I think the most probable reason is that they didn't feel the need to. The box, after all, has a hi-def performance of Reaction in G that could even be superior in terms of performance to the studio version, and some may have felt that that recording would suffice. But the fans clearly weren't happy. Rontoon could have then approached those involved in the making of the box, and explained how disappointed we all are at the absence of a studio Reaction in G. It'd have been too late to include it on the box, but it'd be perfect RSD material. And that explains Rontoon saying that most of his role in the release was persistence - the recording didn't need to be sourced as it was just sitting there, but PF Records needed to be convinced of its worth.

Or maybe i'm just reading way, way too much into this. In any case, I thank Rontoon for his involvement in getting all of this stuff out there.

7. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

Wouldn't mind if the RSD release was the instrumental version of "Vegetable Man" that made it out a few years back. Would love to hear a good quality version of that.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  8. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to be wrong ~ but Rontoon's statement that it's not on the Early Years Box "in any shape or form" seems to rule out Reaction In G, since it is on the box in one form & shape. Same with Interstellar. That's why I guessed live Animals material earlier.

But, again, I'd love it to be another early gem.

Maybe it's more Household Objects...!

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Whatever it is, I hope it's not vinyl-only.

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I won't laugh if it's something that only a few people willing to queue for hours or with big wallets can splash out on using ebay hours later.

I won't laugh if the material is then stuck in a oversized and over-priced bling-box that only people with hedge funds should be spending money on.

I won't laugh if it's another ltd edition of material that should be available easily to all fans of the Stink, I mean Pink, Floyd.

Me too. Ditto. I hope it's not a 1000 edition of a single never to be bought again by anyone.

Artificial collector's items. God (or whoever) give me strength to endure this folly.

11. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

It's going to be the van, isn't it. I just hope it comes with a free tank of fuel or I'll never get it home.

12. Chellovek

Chellovek Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more. To be honest, I don't like how Record Store Day works. I don't have any access to a participant store, as I'm not in North America or Europe. Already had to pay a lot for releases that should some way or another be more widely available to fans, as datsun said.

I hope I can somehow grab one of this new release for a reasonable price. :help:

13. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Nick Mason will host a global screening of exclusive audio and visual footage from 'The Early Years' box set (released on 11th November). The event will take place in Central London; the live stream will start on Pink Floyd's YouTube channel at 6.30pm GMT on Wednesday 9th November at .

Always at the forefront of technology, Pink Floyd are proud to be showcasing exclusive material from the upcoming box set with the event being live streamed around the world. Fans will able to win tickets to attend the evening and fans worldwide will be able to pose questions prior to the event, with a selection being answered on the night by founding member, Nick Mason. The live event will include an exclusive unboxing of the package, screening of exclusive remastered footage and a chat with Nick. To be able to participate in the event and submit questions, a further announcement via pinkfloyd.com and Pink Floyd social networks will follow from Friday 28th October.

RonBaker likes this.
  14. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

This is exactly why we can expect massive piracy of the set(s). I don't condone piracy but I certainly understand the motivations in this case stemming from the high price tag and the super special limited releases that are near impossible to purchase through standard means.

mr.datsun and thevinylguy like this.
  15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I never wrote that!

I didn't write that either. Even though the recording has been shared by collectors for years doesn't necessarily mean that the band had a copy in their possession.

Well thanks for the props! :tiphat:

andrewskyDE, Rekkerds and Hattipper like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Let me clarify. The song IS included in the box but not this version in any way, shape or form. Sorry if my previous statement was misleading.

17. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

That rules out "One in a Million"...drat!

18. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Alright guys, I bit the bullet. I'm in da club with y'all.

I went and pre-ordered with Amazon UK for a cool and even $400:

I was going to wait for Black Friday deals, then Xmas deals if I struck out, then New Year/Inventory Dump deals.. But I was nervous it wouldn't work out. And I wanted to have it in November anyway.

So I can join in the festivities with y'all.

I's happy.

:ed:

19. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Guys, it's so easy... 1966 was 50 years ago - copyright extension RSD (??) probably. What is not on the box from that year? Figure yourself

20. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I meant I'd laugh if it's a wide release of the 1965 double EP, not if it was released again in a small amount. That was extremely uncool last year.

mr.datsun and Wyd Syatt like this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

What else is there except the 1966 IO? Could be that, but I think it already has its copyright. Or maybe it needs a copyright as an audio release, I don't know. That whole thing is confusing. Hopefully, it's something totally unheard like last year's release.

23. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

#toyvan2016

Runicen and Rooster_Ties like this.
  24. I'd stand in line for the toy van.

yarbles, Hattipper and bobloblaw like this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Reading back through, it's starting to sound like it'll be IO '66 sourced from a collector's copy. A supposed transfer from the master reel does circulate, but not widely. Still holding out hope it's Reaction in G, but Ron's comment about the band not having a copy and it circulating among collectors doesn't fit.

andrewskyDE and hallucalation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.