Hendrix -new 2 lp Release Machine Gun 9-30-16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Big pete, Aug 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Glad you mentioned the PH&A title Graham, added this title to my site and noticed I have yet to include a number of other titles in the studio section!

hodgo likes this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Indeed, it is a more frequent occurrence and quite frankly has been for a long time.
    The methods used have improved so significantly more recently that it is very difficult to tell. But folk would like to know and why not?
    Many spend thousands on an analogue set up and want to hear pure analogue. I get that though some don't.

hodgo likes this.
  3. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I had very similar reaction when I listened to it for the first time! Particularly the guitar tone, revelatory was even the same word I used to describe my listening experience. I'm probably one of the few here who didn't already have the circulating copies, so I didn't know this show, specifically. And I had never heard the Jimi version of Stop.... (I thought it was James Gang original all these years :hide:)

Anyway, yeah. What he said! ^^

4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Howard Tate's Stop - The original version.

mooseman, DTK, tedhead and 8 others like this.
  5. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

This is a good example of how Jimi would do a cover. There are horns and piano all over the original. But, the three piece Band of Gypsys were able to
    do a good job of replicating the overall "feel" of the song.

6. John

John Senior Member

Hi Gordon, thats exactly it. I have a very high resolution analog front end and the system can easily distinguish analog and digital sources.

I understand that Protools has a convenience factor, but for someone with the skills and talent of Eddie Kramer transferring a 1" 8-track multitrack master (according to Acoustic Sounds website) to analog with whatever editing required should be possible, just as he would have done in 1969. If this were a lesser performance from a lesser artist so be it, but this is live Hendrix and I think the performance was worthy of the additional effort. I know I would have appreciated it. I also understand this is the way the industry would like to go, but I dont have to like it, and I respectfully disagree.

7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

8. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Wow.....that's a really good shipping charge. The customs charge thing is very hit and miss. I've been lucky and unlucky in the past. Thanks for the link though.

vudicus likes this.
  9. E()

E() Cat Herder

Not until a few minutes ago. Thanks for the heads up.

To stay on topic, I am really enjoying this set. Please release the full run with the same care to sound ......

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Bru

Bru Member

I agree with every single word!

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  11. Bru

Bru Member

Ok, I always want the best from my vinyl and many times I spent a lot of money for USA releases.
    In 2016 I'm not against digital steps. We have new technologies and this is a resource.
    I have no bionic ears :) and my doubt is: in a blind test, can I hear a difference from a US Bernie Grundman mastered copy and the EU pressing?
    I don't think so.

PS: sorry for my bad english

12. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

The original of Howard Tate's Stop is fantastic. A truly great lost soul classic.

There's also a first-rate cover by Sam Moore (Sam & Dave) from '69 (pre-dated Hendrix and James Gang).

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'd say the entire "Get It While You Can" LP by Howard Tate is fantastic and also a truly great lost soul classic. Seriously, if you (meaning anyone) likes the original of "Stop", they'll most likely enjoy the entire album. I got the version on Hip-O that has both the stereo and mono version plus the non album singles. And yes, that's the original "Get It While You Can" that Janis Joplin later covered.

I didn't know about the Sam Moore cover, so I'll have to check that out. Thanks :righton:.

14. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

15. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Just got the vinyl, Euro pressing. Sounds lovely. The bass is fine with me.

16. Listening to the BG mastered CD right now. Wow, mind-blowing stuff, crystal clear and with tons of presence. Amazing sound-stage and depth to the 'picture'. It's like Jimi is in the room with me. I can hear Billy Cox's fingers on the strings too. This is possibly the best sounding live album I've ever heard. Wait a minute, I'm playing the CD!

17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Woodford Reserve and fat vinyl slabs go together like chocolate and peanut butter. Steady Grundelin'

18. Gordon Johnson

I had chance to play the CD recently too. Very clear and expansive to me also.
    I ran it thru' my senn's [650's] via the LFD [and chord Cadenza reference which are just about settled] from my old Pioneer CD player.
    I did find it a little "splashy" in parts and the separation appeared to be a little more than the [EU] vinyl. The bass appears to be more upfront on the CD against the vinyl but that could be the 'phones?

I'll be listening again to this thru' the Harbeths along with the SACD and the US pressing, hopefully soon.

marcfeld69, jhm and frank3si like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

This being out for a bit now, what do you guys think of the performance? Not sq, but the actual performances?

I get the impression that Jimi was experimenting with these songs and searching for something different stylistically. He seems a bit unsure at times with this band. The performance has an almost rehearsal like quality to it. Im not calling it a bad performance, just somewhat in the middle of the process.

Just for funsies..I had not seen this before. New Years..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  20. dee

dee Senior Member

I keep listening to this cd. In the car often. A few times on the stereo or on buds. I'm between being simply entertained and thoroughly enjoying it and being impressed with the band performances.

21. dee

dee Senior Member

FWIW that's sometimes been my impression of some previous releases of some of the other concert material but I hear much unity and complementary playing in this concert in this mix. I'm getting and enjoying a lot of miles from this release.

22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I certainly think its a worth while release and Ill give it another listen. Just first impressions.

dee likes this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, yeah. I guess its been awhile since I had listened to Hendrix and The Band Of Gypsies. No revelatory thoughts here:

More than ever this was definitely a transition time for Jimi. I dont even think many of these working songs would have shown up as they are performed here. I think some elements from certain songs would have been combined with others and some songs even shelved.

What I get, more than anything, is the band is working things out in front of the audience. Which is just dandy imo. Its a special treat to hear these rather jammy songs. I get the idea from Jimi's tone when he is speaking (and even some of the statements he makes) that he isnt really satisfied with much of having to present these songs half baked. He is almost apologetic at times.

Now, mind you, even half baked Jimi Hendrix songs are wonderful to behold. But, a lot of these just arent strong yet or fully developed.

Some great chord progressions, some great riffs here and there. But not album ready. I bet Jimi, if he had much say, would not have had these concerts come out. And Id even go so far as to say, if he had lived and created a proper album with The Band Of Gypsies, we would be looking at this live stuff as not one of his finest moments.

I would also go further to say, Jimi would have put a much better and much more developed live album in maybe 71 or 72 with this group.

Oh, what we missed. And what could have been. Sad to think about.

Leaving this post on a positive note: These performances are what they are. I simply have to adjust my thinking in knowing most likely what perspective to place this release in. And I certainly am glad we have them. There are some shining moments in the performances. In the past we would have paid out the butt to some italian knock off label for an album of this sound quality. Big thanks that they officially put this out. And in great quality.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I agree that it sounds like a rehearsal in parts; Jimi has simply not settled on final lyrics on many songs. But musically it's right on the money.

Another thing; I do think I hear a female voice harmonizing with Buddy on some songs; notably Machine Gun and Stop. So, the old story of Emmaretta Mars/Jenny Dean or whoever sang behind the curtain seems to be true.

25. Gordon Johnson

I still hear no other vocal other than Jimi, Billy and Buddy on this recording.
    Also, there is no credit to any backing vocalists in the liner notes. As this was mixed from the multi track tapes I think there would have been a credit of some sorts if Kramer had mixed in the [ghost] vocal!!
    If there was any reason to not give credit to these supposed vocals then they would have been mixed out entirely, if indeed they exist in the first instance.

bog56, frank3si and vudicus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.