Yes, I Listen To Country Music . . .

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RandyB1961, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Scopitone, wlove2372 and RandyB1961 like this.
  2. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

One of my earliest memories is going to the drive in movies one night with my sister and parents to see The Nashville Rebel starring Waylon.

RandyB1961 and mpayan like this.
  3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

The woman is an American treasure.

wlove2372, RandyB1961 and mpayan like this.
  4. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

The difference was...Gram, Waylon and Hank Jr. were all trying to do something that wasn't corny and countrypolitan. In the 70s, that was the REAL enemy.

Scopitone and RandyB1961 like this.
  5. RandyB1961

RandyB1961 Go Dawgs! Thread Starter

6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Todd W. and RandyB1961 like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

More Kacey....less everyone else on the radio please!

RandyB1961 likes this.
  8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

OMG, how could I forget Chris Knight? I saw him open for Skynyrd many years ago and never heard of him. I immediately when out and bought the self-titled and have been a fan every since. Is there a better lyric then "It Ain't Easy Being Me"?

As for your other groups you listed in your post, I only have Trampled By Turtles. You can't go wrong with any of that. I enjoy Trouble, Stars and Satellites and Palomino.

RandyB1961 likes this.
  9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

[​IMG]

10. RandyB1961

The first time I heard Justin Townes Earle, my first thought was "Boy, he's gonna have a hard time living up to THAT name!"

Man, was I wrong; JTE is one of my favorite artists and deserves to be mentioned in any conversation with his father or with his namesake.

11. RandyB1961

Anyone remember this guy?

BradOlson likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Great film, Great Song - note you can sing the verses of "From me to you" to it perfectly in rhythm. Even so, I don't think he ever really topped the Doyle Hargraves Band.

RandyB1961 likes this.
  13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

For background music, when 70s rock radio became hard to take due to the repetitiveness (Elton has more than 3 songs!) I switched to 50s, 60s, early 70s country and it was far more engaging than I expected. As in halt what you're doing and listen.

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Robert Duval as country has-been Mack Sledge:

15. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Indeed he is, i've always thought his role as the sadistic villain in ''Panic Room'' was deserving of some kind of award.

RandyB1961 likes this.
  16. RandyB1961

You guys who know me knew it was only a matter of time before I posted this . . .

17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I never really thought of that one as country. :shh:

RandyB1961 likes this.
  18. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

A great mid-60s countrypolitan recording by Grand Ole Opry star Jeannie Seely, written by her husband, Hank Cochran - "Don't Touch Me"

RandyB1961 likes this.
  19. RandyB1961

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

such an awesome shot from that film. 'i said get the f out! that goes for corksuckers and retards!'

21. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

i'm glad you're a fan. there's a reason he's called King George. he didn't give himself that name. To me it's Merle all on his own at the top. Johnny not quite beneath Merle's level but sort of on his own, Waylon, Willie, George Jones are the level beneath these two and George Strait/Alan Jackson just beneath them.

of course there are tons of other artists in level three too but the point being King George is natural real country.

PyroMessiah and RandyB1961 like this.
  22. RandyB1961

I hadn't listened to this song in a few years; I forgot how much I liked it.

23. RandyB1961

24. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

One of my favourite country records of all time! It should be in everybody's collection.

wlove2372 and RandyB1961 like this.
  25. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

100% agree.

I love the old stuff and have more or less retired from rock bands and now I play old classic country. The guitar is a lot more challenging, if nothing else.

I had a good many offers to join working country bands... but they all play that horrible new stuff and I told them all, thanks but no thanks.

Most of it sounds like formulaic bad rock music with a fiddle and some faked-southern accent singer.

RandyB1961, ianuaditis and GodShifter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.