Stubborn gunk build-up on stylus...even with regular cleaning!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by snorker, Oct 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Just to clarify, sorry about the confusion..
    1) Liquid should be always used with a record cleaning machine, leaves no residue
    2) Liquid, or Stylus cleaning fluid is more effective than dry for stubborn crud on the stylus.
    3) Liquid should not be used on a record via the cleaning brush, regardless of instructions or manufacturer claims. Brushes damp or dry, tend to only redistribute (most of) the dust and particles, making matters worse. (and even drive surface particles deeper in the groove) The placebo effect may be applicable, as a cleaner looking record may somehow convince us there is less noise. The "old school" cleaning method was a hard ritual to break for me, personally.

I forgot about 4) My suggestion for loose dust on a record is a short blast or two of compressed air, a can of "Dust it".

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy Thread Starter

Alright, official answer from Clearaudio:

thank you for your email and the picture of your cartridge.

The material which is around the diamond tip is indeed the epoxy to bond the diamond.

By the way the stylus is in perfect shape and angle.

Best regards,

i.A.
    Franziska Wimmelbacher
    Sales and Marketing Assistant

clearaudio electronic GmbH
    Spardorfer Straße 150
    91054 Erlangen
    Deutschland / Germany ​

The FRiNgE and Bananas&blow like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Well there you go, and you have our newest member to thank. did you ask them about using a liquid stylus cleaner?
    Don't know if you remember, a few years ago, when M. Fremer started playing around with a digital microscope, he posted a pic of his stylus, it was really nasty- I can't remember what he concluded- I think he was using liquid (per Lyra). If you use the ME, just be careful and read Doug Deacon's instructions which you should be able to find easily on the web.

The FRiNgE and snorker like this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes I remember that picture. There was a lot more than the adhesive stuck to the stylus. . However if you have ever seen pictures of his music room and the way records are scattered around it becomes less of a mystery. Also this is where a dust cover comes in handy even if you only use it when the TT is off.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    snorker likes this.
  5. snorker

I didn't ask them about liquid stylus cleaners, but they sell their own called Elixir of Sound, so I assume they recommend that one at least.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  6. Nice pictures. That glue bond is applied the same as the one in the link provided and nowhere near the business end of the stylus, which is good.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

stubborn gunk never builds up on laser lens :)

Bananas&blow likes this.
  8. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Shampoo/conditioner in a solution of water and alcohol should get that out quick. I use it on my AT440mlb with a ladies soft mascara brush and finish it off with the brush Audio Technica provided with cart (back to front). Under my loupe it looks squeaky clean like the tip of the Chrysler Building.

9. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

send a note to clearaudio and ask them if it is normal

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

ah I see you already did...

snorker likes this.
  11. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

that said i don't think any normal cleaning method including magic eraser will remove the epoxy

12. snorker

Probably a good thing!

13. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Tell that to the CD player in my car. I have to clean it regularly.

hi_watt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.