Is rock out of the conversation?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pathosdrama, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Perhaps Rock has matured as an art form and is not meant to "change the world" anymore? Kinda the same for Jazz into the 70s.

Grant and DrBeatle like this.
  2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

How dare you say that about my totally rockin' avatar!

t-man 54 likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

If you are saying that rock is now boring and fuddy-duddy – or least reaching that point, I'd agree. Music for your dads. Spot on.

4. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I'm a massive Who nut, but with the Who having been at a dead end since the late 1970s, the irony in this statement, whether intentional or not, is too delicious.

jay.dee and Purple Jim like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

It's intentional. He says in the article they've been stuck in a rut for 40 years.

He points out that they played basically the same set last week in AZ as at the 'Day on the Green' Festival(sic) in 76.

I got a kick out of it because there's an anecdote that Townshend complimented Jerry Garcia during those 'Day on the Green' shows (which was a two day installment of a concert series and not a festival) because the Dead played 2 nights in a row without repeating a song, whereas the Who had been playing the same show for 5 years running at that point.

It only took 40 more years for Daltrey to make that observation.

jay.dee and DrBeatle like this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have tix for Ringo Starr on Sunday, Alabama Shakes and The xx in December, Guns n Roses in January, and Jeff Beck in February. I'm good.

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. DrBeatle

Oh, I know he mentioned the Day on the Green in '76, I just thought it was funny how the headline was written. Any Who fan would've instantly gotten a chuckle over that. :laugh:

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Aha, yes. I am the opposite of a big Who fan, but even I see where you are going with that now.

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. DrBeatle

I'm a massive Who nut (for me, they're tied with the Beatles as my #1 of all time) but I haven't been interested in a damn thing they've done since Moon died (which is what I consider the end of the real Who) and as much as I like the '75 & '76 tours, like you, I think it's lame they've played basically the same set list since then.

10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I would agree that rock is largely irrelevant as a cultural phenomenon at the moment but there are thousands of bands playing rock, and new rock records and released every single week. If guys here aren't hearing those records then they have only themselves to blame, it's never been easier to discover new music.

Stormrider77, bhazen, Tim S and 3 others like this.
  11. DrBeatle

The part of your statement I've bolded is what I've always referred to when I say rock is dead. The music itself isn't and never will be, just that aspect of it.

Robert C and Tim S like this.
  12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The part of your statement I've bolded is what I've always meant when I say that rock isn't dead. Rock as "cultural phenomenon" spanned over a decade from (roughly) 1956 - 1969. Since then, rock, and the rest of popular music, has remained what it has always been - part of the cultural fabric of society (and a pretty enjoyable way to spend your free time).

13. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

They went 24 years between studio albums and it's been ten since Endless Wire was released. How many live albums, how many compilations, how concert videos did they release in those years. It seems that rock has reached a dead end for both Daltrey and Townshend.

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

And I'm holding this bc I don't think it's that cut and dry.

As if we can all just jump on the Internet and go down a rabbithole of Bandcamps, Soundclouds, YouTubes, Spotifys, etc.

There is a *lot* of music out there now for sure. Not all of it is "good," and not all of it is going to be to someone's taste.

For me, personally, most of the new music I listen to is local bands, or indie bands that come through on tour with local bands supporting.

"Rock" is no longer culturally relevant in a mainstream sense, and that's ok. Much of the innovation that occurs now is down to technology - bands/artists (not even "rock" necessarily) making records in a basement that, when done right, can sit next to something from a professional studio. That's the innovation right now.

But getting to the subjective "best" of that isn't necessarily easy anymore. A lot of information and (I didn't mention this yet) contemporary subgenres to figure out.

15. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Rock is not dead, it has just aged and been wheeled out of sight to a nursing home.

t-man 54 likes this.
  16. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Nothing is stopping anyone who accesses this forum from doing that. They've already got the Internet, they just need the inclination.

Lightworker likes this.
  17. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Rock is @$!#ing sixty years old. It should have ceased d.b.a. "rock" when Spinal Tap came out.

Let it rot!

I am intrigued by the persistence of rock-related music, though -- its ultimate message (do what thou wilt) seems to have succeeded in beyond-spectacular fashion, at least on the artsy fringes; in the mainstream, it's more commodified than ever ... but the businessmen always triumph in the end.

Data storage, not bandwidth, surely?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    weavzy likes this.
  18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

If you think rock is dead it might be a reflection of your own state of intellectual and spiritual decay. :cool:

Lightworker likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The debate at the Steve Hoffman Forum rages on. Meanwhile, no one notices that Kings of Leon replaced Green Day at No. 1 on the Billboard album chart this week, or that Blackberry Smoke debuted at no. 1 on the Billboard country album chart with something that sounds suspiciously like a kickass slice of 70's southern rock. Need to pay attention.

20. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Classical music is dead too! It's been like hundreds of years since anyone came up with something as good as Beethoven's Ninth!

jay.dee, Robert C and klockwerk like this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I may not be into new music so much anymore, but Rock in general is a drug that I can't quit. In fact I'm gonna go shoot up some mono Stones right now.

(As for for newer bands, I am digging Twin Peaks at the moment, but maybe they don't count because they are so clearly but deliciously derivative of the Stones, Beatles and Kinks.)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Rogn Valdr and DrBeatle like this.
  22. Rogn Valdr

Rogn Valdr Forum Resident

I used to be always on the hunt for good rock, but especially metal bands all the time, but I now find there's more than enough left to discover in the music of '60s and '70s giants like Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, ELP, ELO, Jimi Hendrix etc. etc. I rather dip my toe in the jazz genre than to be on the lookout for something new, up and coming.
    I hate the nothingness of Kings of Leon and all the other currently popular 'fish-nor-fowl' bands.

Osthagen, bhazen and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Absolutely awful band. Rock that doesn't rock.

DTK, Fullbug, Lightworker and 2 others like this.
  24. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

34 pages later and I just wanted to say, "Nice try."

jay.dee, klockwerk and Diamond Dog like this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, I am staggered at the amount of rock albums (of all sub-genres) that are released each month. There's even too much being put out and it becomes a huge mush which has little or no impact as it's so bewildering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.