Elton John Upcoming Six LP Box from Burberry includes "Songs From The West Coast" (11/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Oct 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Pretty funny. Man those were terrible! But I'm sure they are getting ready to release everything soon and I will be one of the suckers buying them again...after having all the 70's stuff from the UK that sound fine. What's wrong with us?

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I don't know...it was without a doubt a money grab at his height, between albums. I remember being very disappointed by it. And it isn't exactly a good recording, either. But I get it that it's probably nostalgic for many. I do own it, but never play it. Then again, maybe I'm not the right audience...I generally don't really like live albums.

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Songs From The West Coast was such a wonderful and welcome surprise when I first played it. It is one of my all-time favorite albums by anyone.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Original 1LP issue? No, irrelevant contractual obligation product.

The 2CD reissue? Very solid document of Elton live around his peak.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It will be interesting, when the inevitable complete vinyl boxes start to emerge, whether they use that as an opportunity to sell people fresh copies of those turds, or whether there will be some creative editing of the discography.

In other words, will this be like the George Harrison box, where they found a way to sell people another copy of Electronic Sound?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Jrr likes this.
  6. Wonderwall IMHO is Harrison's second best album...

Pizza likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ooops, sorry, brainfart. That was supposed to read Electronic Sound.

And that is definitely not Harrison's third best album.

Mazzy likes this.
  8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

To be fair you can't blame him, Elton had released 12 studio albums in 7 years by 1976, that is some going.
    And please before people start jumping on me I am well aware of how many albums the mop tops released :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  9. Millington

Millington Forum Resident

Read best album for me, Mazzy!

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't blame him for Here and There. Just product. I imagine his management and the record labels decided what that album was going to be, and Elton just said "whatever...fine..."

I do blame him for Victim of Love and Leather Jackets, however.

11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The original LP is pretty disappointing, but the 90's reissue that basically tripled it's length is a wonderful addition to the catalog. I'd definitely be interested in an LP reissue of that edition.

Jrr, Shak Cohen and JeffMo like this.
  12. 70Vinyl.P

70Vinyl.P Forum Resident

I am rather fond of them...! :D
    Seriously!

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Have you heard the 2cd reissue? It is almost two full concerts (an intimate one that I prefer from RAH, and a stadium show from MSG) and I think there is only one song that is in both sets even though they are from the same year.

14. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

One thing that hasn't really come up yet is how will SFTWC fit on one record? It's about 55 min long. That's about 27/side, which seems long. Wonder if it'll be a 2 disc album, or if they'll trim songs (like the outro to Mansfield).

15. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Why on earth would you want The Big Picture on vinyl? It sounds awful, the songs are not even average and it'll just take up even more room in the bin.

16. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I think they both featured Your Song and Take Me To The Pilot? But am working revfrom memory so quite possibly wrong. There were plenty of other songs played on that tour and I'm sure they could do a fuller compilation from more concerts. No need to stick only to what Gus produced/released previously.

JeffMo likes this.
  17. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

The 2 cd of Here and There is essential, BUT not as essential as a complete 11-17-70 would be.

Mark B. likes this.
  18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

At one time Wolfgang's Vault had for download the 11/26/70 concert in Cleveland, albeit with a couple of incomplete tracks, but if they're still selling a download for $5. For that price it passed the archival curiosity test.

JeffMo likes this.
  19. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I hope not. Paul Buckmaster's arrangement on that is one of the best things on the album.

20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I haven't. Guess I need to...he was at the height of his popularity so I bet its great.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

27 per side isn't ideal, but very dooable. I have a couple Bee Gees albums that were not released here on vinyl but were in another country, both 90's albums that run around a half hour per side as the cds were long. They sound fine, actually. You just have to turn them up a bit louder.

22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking of Pilot when I wrote that, but you are probably right about YS. I need to pull this off the shelf again myself.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Six LP means six albums not necessarily six slabs of vinyl (or vinyls :)). Does not rule out SFTWC being a double - but I'm not paying £225 quid for it. Unfortunately this Burberry bollocks just reinforces the them and us society and makes vinyl look a rich man's thing. I expect Putin and Trump have already sent their people to their nearest branch to grab a copy.

24. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

No, I was right, there are three. Clive Franks, David Hentschel, and Gus Dudgeon.

fredblue likes this.
  25. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Yes that's right, 3 mixes.. although it may be 4 considering what went out on air?

I'll have to check what the broadcast sounds like compared to the released versions.

1.) UK DJM LP (Clive Franks);

[​IMG]

2.) UNI LP (Dave Hentschel);

[​IMG]

3.) Gus Dudgeon & Matt Howe's remix (on the Classic Years CD);

[​IMG]

tonyc and Pelvis Ressley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.