Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2016 Subscription Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gammondorf, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I was comparing a reel recording with a cassette recording of the FOH mix- neither is optimal, but a reel can capture more of the frequency range in which Phil plays. Nothing beats a Betty Board.

notesofachord, Archtop, JRM and 2 others like this.
  2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Forgive the newbie question...

When will the 2017 subscription go on sale? I have quickly realized that things sell out very, very quickly and I would like to try to sign up for the 2017 subscription for Dave's Picks. I've developed paranoia that I am going to miss the window and have taken to checking the website constantly for updates.

Thank you!

3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Next week probably. just keep up with this thread and you will be fine. or go to dead.net and put in your email and you will get a notice when it's available

rufus t firefly likes this.
  4. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Thanks! Will do.

5. The subscription doesn't sell out. Dead.net usually stops taking subscription orders after a couple of months, once announced. You'll be fine.

6. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Maybe we were wrong about demand for the 80s.

NorCal likes this.
  7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well '81 anyway! ;) Selling out that fast sure surprised me; maybe the reels did the trick.

Shvartze Shabbos and NorCal like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I'm getting the subscription for 2017 but after serious consideration, the early Sell Out ended my dilemma.

The last *straw* was what's been said about the "Jack Straw" as a post hiatus jam infused Jack Straw is what as exciting about as anything including the second set jams or the prospect of a hot China>Rider both of which this set is purported to include. Plus I didn't like that they left the 3rd disc short when they certainly could have included a hot 30-35 minute jam section from another show from the run. I'm sure the other shows are not being released any time soon so I wonder why they can't park these discs with more material like they did with Dick's 29 or Dick's 36.

In any event I'm more interested in the bounty that's in the mail coming to me and my upcoming purchases which will include Dave's 13 & 17 as well as 2/11/69, Dick's 6, 11, 19 & 25 all of which seem to me to be more attractive to these ears than Dave's 20.

footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Incidentally, the Jim Wise audience recording of this show sounds great.

Taylor16, US Blues, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  10. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

This was my first year without the subscription. I picked up the '74 and only really regret missing the '76. Buying a la carte, though, getting up toward $12/disc now after shipping is a bit hard to swallow all things considered, unless it's something stupendous. A lack of Brent-era releases is part of why I stopped, but this didn't qualify as stupendous.

I wish that instead of announcing the first pick and leaving three as mysteries, they'd announce more like three picks and leave one as a wild card. Or even, in the immortal words of Chuck Woolery, "two and two" should be semi-practical enough. I'm still interested in giving them my money; I just need a little more help. Maybe it's just me.

Perhaps the website revamp will offer some new opportunities. Shipping-free FLAC's for new Picks, etc.

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I think we can expect more 80s shows now. The market has spoken.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I thought they did do the "two and two" thing last year and announced both the '74 and '76 show when the subscription was offered. But I could be misremembering. If you have the money upfront, the subscription is the way to go. Low stress, less money per disc, you get the bonus disc and if you don't like one of the picks you can re-sell it and some of these seem to be going for a fair amount on the secondary market. For me the subscription is a no-brainer, but I am definitely all in anyway for anything they choose to release, and I realize not everyone feels the same.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

What has the subscription cost in past years?

14. Or maybe the music did the trick.

tiger roach and bmoregnr like this.
  15. I certainly hope so!

16. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

$99.98 if early ordered (by Christmas?) and $115.98 thereafter (I think).

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

Yes. To me, early ordering is the way to go as you're getting free shipping for all picks (along with the fact that you're guaranteed each pick and don't have to worry about sell outs.) You'll get a good 13 discs over year, averaging out to about $7.69 a disc. Not a bad deal.

18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just checked out the listening party. Can't wait to get mine now. Hope I get a shipping email ASAP

19. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Enjoying the style and approach on the Birdsong, nice jazzy drum work. getting excited

dtuck90 likes this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There were some great Bird Songs that year. Check out 3/7/81.

ralphk and nitsuj like this.
  21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I got a shipping notice so I'm sure you'll be hearing something soon. Scheduled delivery date is Halloween!

22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

the tribe has spoken

23. Lands End Drums

Lands End Drums Forum Resident

The other 80s era pick was the fastest sell out of the Dave's series and it took this long to see another one. I wouldn't hold my breath.

24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

My second show was two nights later, 10/20/84 Syracuse. This was one is in the vault, and when it was featured in the Taper's Section, Dave said they had a lot of requests for it, fwiw.

25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

You would think they would pull out an 80s date at least once a year or maybe once every six picks to get more toes into at least an entire decade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.