Do you have a vanilla experience listening to your gear? What does that even mean?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Brother_Rael, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

I love vanilla.

Rodney Toady likes this.
  2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I have visited a vanilla farm on a small Tahitian island. You have to take a special orchid and graft it onto another tree, then cure the pod for weeks while massaging them every day.
    I STRIVE FOR THE VANILLA EXPERIENCE EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE. :tiphat:

wgriel likes this.
  3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

This thread's kinda whiney. Forged in butthurt over the elitist twaddle of someone given to slathering elitist twaddle over threads in this Forum. It's codswallop, Brother_Rael. You know what codswallop is, dontcha ? Put a bloody record on...

D.D.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It's okay, folks., Bowie has left the room.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  5. Diamond Dog

So you started a thread about it....

D.D.

6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

7. Brother_Rael

Spoiling for one aintcha?!

[​IMG]

Lonson and Robert C like this.
  8. Diamond Dog

No, just surprised that you'd bother to start a thread to whinge about a silly comment made by a poster given to silly comments in an attempt to draw him in for a scrap. Looks like you're the one "spoiling for one", frankly. Weak excuse for a whiney thread thinly-veiled as an audio-related question but hey, just my opinion, right ? And "how people choose to reply is up to them - and thanks for your input." Right ?

Post some more funny pictures. Get it out of your system. Get the bitter aftertaste of "vanilla" out of your mouth so you can move on at some point. You can do it. Cantcha?

This thread should be binned. Waste of bandwidth.

D.D.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  9. Brother_Rael

You're right. Let's have a cable thread.

Edit: check the dates on this thread. Prior to yours and one other, it's been dead since the start of October.

But look who's here! I can only speculate on your reasons for posting, but I'm assuming it's not our great friendship that brings you in....

But seeing as you're bleating away about it, I thought it was an utterly nonsensical comment in that other thread. However, my reply to it got me blocked from that thread. C'est la vie.

And you don't like it? Sue me. Don't read it, don't comment on it, go spin a disc instead. Or slip one. Either way, I don't really give a ****.

10. Diamond Dog

D.D.

11. Brother_Rael

Wow! You're covering the whole gamut of intellectual discourse from A to A! Hats off to you!!

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

You are the emperor of two weeks ago.

dadonred, jimbutsu and Brother_Rael like this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

So stop whining and go dig up another dead thread.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  14. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

So... are we all gonna go in on a wedding gift for these two?

I'm good for twenty bucks.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I can guess what flavor the cake will be.

16. Diamond Dog

We're registered at Bed, Bath, Active Speakers and Beyond.

D.D.

dadonred likes this.
  17. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I read threads like this and think "...but yet I make posts in off-topic forums that get deleted?"

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

But first . . . have you been experienced? I have.

And an extended one at that.

[​IMG]

I love the experience that I have with my system, have ever since it was a baby, and it's been fun nurturing it and seeing it grow. I admit to being somewhat of a gear head, but I have over 20,000 discs too, I love music, I love music reproduction and I feel a kindred spirit to any other that does, whether it be a vanila, chocolate, strawberry etc. I would say mine is probably a chai spice vanila experience.

Gang-Twanger and Brother_Rael like this.
  19. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Me too. A vanilla experience would definitely mean something positive to me.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  20. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Depends on the music I play. I run a system comprised of vintage gear from the tube era. A Fisher 800C (1964) powering a pair of large Wharfedale W90's (1963), plus a Dual 1019 for the vinyl. So, modern music really doesn't jive with it, not surprisingly. However, if I put on something from the '60's to early '70's, it's a VERY-different story, but that's why I bought that stuff. I wanted a setup that would absolutely OWN that era, and that's what the 800C/W90's combo does. Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, the Doors, the Dead, etc. And not just classic rock from that era. Old blues stuff sounds perfect (Today I put on the Bluesbreakers' Beano album, and that one gets my full attention every time... Sounds so right, you can't even put it into words). Simply-put, if you love classic rock, blues, funk, R&B, etc. from the '60's and want to really-enjoy it proper, then start looking for a pair of W90's (the ones with cone tweeters) and throw some vintage tube power on them. They really put that music on a different level. A VISCERAL level.

I'm a huge fan of old '60's and early '70's funk and jazz-funk, and that's another area where they get it done right (A perfect example is Kool & The Gang's old jazz-funk classic, "Give It Up... The 800C/W90's combo loves music with well-recorded horns, and that song's a great example... I've never heard it sound so freakishly-right). And '50's and '60's blues stuff is another area where that setup will make it happen. Like John Lee Hooker's "Boogie Chillun". This is the W90's area of expertise, all that music from the early '70's on back to the earliest days of analog. But especially the '50's, '60's, and early '70's. I love Hendrix, so that was important to me, but I now find myself enjoying all kinds of '60's music that I previously didn't care that much about. I've become hooked on that era. I would never have gotten into Gerry Mulligan, were it not for those speakers (They have a way with the baritone sax... They really-nail that sound). They've definitely tailored my listening preferences.

So, when you say, what kind of listening experience do I have, it really depends on the music. If I put on "Brothers In Arms", you probably won't be overly-thrilled with the sound (They really don't like digital recordings, a few here and there aside), but if I put on the White Album or "Let It Bleed" (or the Bar-Kays' "Son Of Shaft" :D ), you're gonna' want to find a seat for sure.

SandAndGlass and Brother_Rael like this.
  21. Gang-Twanger

Duals are great for that. For some reason, they really-bring out the "musical" in music. I'm a big fan of their tables. They have a way of engaging the listener.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Gang-Twanger

That's funny.. I thought it was an abbreviation or something. :D

23. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

Why did I get dragged back into this...

24. Gang-Twanger

:D

That was funny.

Yeah, with tubes, you get the REAL vanilla.

Actually, I met a guy maybe 4 or 5 years ago who had incredible gear, really-amazing stuff, and it was all blocked off by kids toys. He probably hadn't used any of it in months. But he runs a successful microphone-manufacturing company, so I can't really fault him for it. He's so busy, I imagine it must be difficult to balance his time (He's more-into cars at this point anyway... In terms of hobbies, that's where his passion lives nowadays... The hi fi thing has become a distant third, it seems... His setup costs more than twenty times what I have into my system, but I definitely get more enjoyment out of mine... If he had time to listen more and was STILL not into it, then I'd say he needs different gear, but with him, I think it's just a case of his interests drifting off in a different direction... He's got bigger fish to fry for sure).

25. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.