New Peaches record crates

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

These are great:

Peaches Record Crates »

I got mine in oak. Quality is high, they come disassembled but go together nicely with a little muscle. You might want to put a sealer on them, it's unfinished wood.

The best way to browse through your record collection is on the floor, flipping covers. :agree:

The small one is very small, I'd recommend the big one.

Peaches was my record store. Less snobby and grungy than Tower, more pleasant to browse in.

I miss record stores.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I love the idea, but I hate this blurb:
    "Peaches Record Crates are more than just a crate, they are an icon. A reflection of an era and more importantly the perfect home for your collection. Hand crafted with as much attention to detail as you give your vinyls, these will last you years and are the perfect compliment to any space. A must own for record lovers."

Peaches stores are rolling over in their graves (I miss them, too).

hi_watt, Billy Budapest and MLutthans like this.
  3. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

Here's a detail for them...get that guy's thumb off of track 1. :realmad:

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Man, I remember the days when you could get fruit crates for free back in the old days. Those are really nice

5. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

They are quite expensive and not assembled. Buy the "replacement" labels from them
    and build your own.

mpayan and Baron Von Talbot like this.
  8. I had some real record crates from a real Peaches way back when and trust me, they were nowhere near as nice as these reissues! Just standard, splintery wooded crates with the Peaches logo.

9. ls35a

Yeah, these are in an altogether different league than the original Peaches crates.

So... quality and nostalgia. Best of all worlds.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

What a joke !:rolleyes:

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Where can you buy these in the U.S.?

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've moved on. IKEA Expedt or whatever it's called - is really where it's at.

No, bending over a crate is not the way to browse a LP collection.

So 34 years ago!

Dr Jackson and Kristofa like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, I won't even go through records in a store of they're not set up in racks at waist height.

Dr Jackson, Jrr and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I would if my sixth sense is picking up on stacks of unplayed white label promos. But it better be a strong signal.

Matt Starr likes this.
  15. Schwinnparamount

Schwinnparamount Forum Resident

Kids will probably buy these. Anyone old enough to have been buying records since the first time records were 'hip' will have moved on from the crate thing. I never liked keeping my records in old fruit boxes and sure as hell never liked bending over a box on the floor to browse my records. I'd guess the market for these things is the hipster Crosly buyer who has yet to reach his 30th birthday.

granata likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

We need Peaches Records back as a record shop. Too bad we don't have time travel. The crates are nice. I like them. Glad to have the crates back.

Guss2 likes this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I went from wood crates to milk crates to recycle bins to old Tower Records bins to Expedit racks. The only thing I spent money on was the Expedit. $63 seems a bit high For the number of LPs they hold, but I am glad they are well built! Every time I drive by the location of the old Peaches in Tacoma, WA, I sigh. Peaches is a fond childhood memory.

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Absurdly expensive for a crate, imo.

Gramps Tom and xantus like this.
  19. xantus

xantus Active Member

yeahhh, I found an oak shelving unit.. acouple feet wide, waist height, holds about 300 records.... 30 bucks from the flea market. it would break my foot if I kicked it too.... cute idea, terrible price. (I have a good collection of antiqie fruit labels, contact me ;))

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The link I posted above is for purchasing in the U.S. It's a U.S. section of the UK site where the company is based.

Also, here is an old thread with more info on them:

"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds »

black sheriff likes this.
  21. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Great. Thanks.

22. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

A couple of years ago I made my own out of old pallets I picked up from work. They seem to do the job pretty well and didn't cost anything, other than buying a can of stain to put on them.

23. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Good looking crates and the coolest name. I have plenty of criticism for storing records in wood crates and milk crates, I do make apologies for not going with the vibe, very sorry and I do get it. (lecture time) :rant:

The Peaches crate, cool looking as it is, the width is not wide enough. The records fit too snug, almost no side clearance. Why is this bad? When returning a record to the crate, the cover corners often hit a side strut and get wiped out. If the record is held straight, then it will slip in cleanly, but even I have hit the "milk crate" sides and then swear my head off. A corner is going to hit, matters not how careful you are. (guess who stopped using milk crates?)

Secondly, The records are not protected from dust, pet hair, and airborne oil, kitchen grease from cooking, natural resins in the air from trees, nothing that harms us, but not good for the records. And that's not to mention cigarette smoke for those who smoke. (which as a daily habit harms everything it tars up, including pets and children)

Third, wood is rough and abrasive unless finished. Just light rubbing from flipping through the albums will quickly rub the lower seam, eventually rubbing through the slick. How many used records have we seen like that? Not that it's a crime, but why knowingly damage the covers? Records are a large investment, and certainly the collection worth far more than the crate to store them in. Isn't it worth it to purchase something more gentle on your record covers?

A record storage cabinet, or box, or crate should protect your collection, not degrade it. (BTW equally bad is a flimsy box)

an opinion from a mad musician, (I get the decor and vibe thing, but functionally all wrong)
    Steve VK

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    johnnybrum and xantus like this.
  24. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

As a young man with only a couple hundred LPs in the 1990's, the plastic recycle bin solved all of the issues you mention here. They were not as attractive as the Peaches crate, but they were indestructible, readily available *cough*, durable handles, wide lips, etc. They were perfect for the beer-infused punk lifestyle we led back then. Here is a pic of me about 24 years ago with one of the two bins I had:

[​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
  25. ls35a

The width is not wide enough? My lp's in their plastic sleeves fit fine with plenty of room.

Kristofa likes this.