New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'd prefer a double LP mopping up the non-LP singles, "Biding My Time," and "Embryo."

2. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Not to sound cheesy but all of this is a pretty special moment in time for all fans of the Floyd thanks to the huge resurgence in vinyl. However if things go back to they way they were at the end of the 90's, all of us who bought this collection are going to have something special....I suggest to all take care of these records they are priceless.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Records should stay nearly as good as the day you bought them if you store them and clean them well anyway!

4. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure this will be reissued... sooner than later :D

LeeGriffin and Vinyl Addict like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, I totally agree with that, I just think that demand will fall for the earlier albums first.

Norco74 and SibilanceSegs like this.
  6. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Amazon.ca uses just the prism picture, though it says "2016 (vinyl)" and it's $54.88 Can. I only payed $24.00 since I pre-ordered it 3 weeks ago when it was that price and I am locked in.
    I ordered from both Amazon.ca and UK. I am going to assume, like WYWH, that the Sax cut will be North America an BG cut is UK. I didn't buy the 2011 remaster, so after this I should have a 2016 BG cut, a 2011 Sax cut reissue, the 30th, the MFSL 017, and a scratched SMAS-11163 (which is Wall art at this point)...... all I need to find is an early UK pressing, (second A3/B3 pressings) and I will have a decent DSOTM collection.....:)

michanes likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Any idea how much monies they would ask for this hypothetical repress?:D

:whistle:

8. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Or Delicate Sound. Just been looking through old correspondence with sellers from 2010 and the price of even O.K nth issue copies of old Floyd vinyl have tripled in the intervening years. People are paying stupid prices now for stuff I was walking away from then.

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I have an original copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder, but I'd love to see what Bernie can do with it.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No reviews from you yet Sergio on any of these?

I value your thoughts...

SergioRZ likes this.
  11. SergioRZ

Thanks! :)

I've been posting some bits here and there along the thread... ;)

I think the main factor is to set the appropriate context for evaluating these reissues. In my case, the context is not easy for the reissues, I own most of these on original first pressing UK vinyl, or very early pressings also from the UK... and they're mostly in great condition, very playable and enjoyable. All of the (quick) comparison shoots I made were similar, with the original pressings sounding better, fresher, more direct and energetic, specially the earlier 4 albums, this difference starts to fade on the later albums, but it never really goes away.

I still think this reissue program is a success (until now at least), and a really great proposition in terms of price/performance.

I can't get into much more detailed reviews for each album because I really don't have the time :( :(

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. SergioRZ

No, really no idea... I'm guessing it will be expensive :D

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Interesting.
    If we are lucky, these will be available for the next 5 years prior to fade out from the friendly price market. The big 3, Animals and PATGOD will be available on scheduled reruns but albums such as More, Ummagumma, OBC, SOS, TFC will only be released in major super mega campaign in order to feed the dragon.

For now, just listen, enjoy and restock...:tiphat:

14. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Mast Pastors!

15. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

On my system, hands down the Sax is the better album. But my preference is for very detailed highs and an overall soundstage where I can pick out the instruments clearly. Smoother would go to the BG, but for my preference that is not a good thing.

Norco74 and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  16. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your answer - it gives me a good idea. :tiphat:

mike catucci likes this.
  17. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Was the 2011 DSOTM a Sax cut? It's so dismal I can scarcely believe it.

18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

I just finished my third spin of WYWH BG version. Same impressions as my first review and I am in agreement with Mike. In addition to more 'spacious', I find it a tad granular on guitar, vocals and cymbals. Again, this could be system centric. DS is more solid and coherent but whatever version you opt for is a good choice. I keep both versions.

A funny comparision between the 2 versions would be that DS sounds like playing a Dolby recorded cassette with Dolby while BG is played without Dolby...;)

19. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I compared my 2011 WYWH DS mastered vinyl to the new BG cut.

I actually prefer the sound of DS. It’s much wider (cinematic), more distant, and more together if you will. I think DS mastering fits better with the narrative of this work, which is all about distance and the absence.

While BG cut sounds great. Better clarity, instrument separation with more pronounced bottom end. Ultimately, it’s much more in your face and this is not how I ever heard this album before.

BG is definitely a keeper for its own reasons, I see myself reaching for DS 2011 cut every time I’m in that late night mood to spin WYWH.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    nitsuj, dachada, Szeppelin75 and 5 others like this.
  20. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Thanks Norco, this is interesting. This is why I've been kind of lurking as I haven't bought any of the new ones yet. I have the Canadian originals, and I'm on the fence about the new ones as what I can gather has been confusing at best given different individuals' different tastes. I like your comparison, but if the BG is played without the Dolby, shouldn't it be brighter?

21. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I have the EU 2011 DSOTM and think it sounds really good. It has TML (The Mastering Lab) in the deadwax. I've heard this album in virtually every format (save for R2R) and it sounds faithful to me. The only issue I find with it are the clicks and pops in the pressing likely due to micro-debris in the vinyl (dirty pucks?). While odd for an Optimal pressing I suppose it happens. If the new cut is the same with better vinyl then I'll grab it.

22. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

It might be worth e mailing them and explaining the situation before placing any more orders. Perhaps, they are not aware of the situation. For me, it would not be worth the risk of these additional costs.

Dr Jackson and DeRosa like this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yes, both the USA and EU version of the 2011 was remastered at TML by Doug.
    Because the American version was pressed at Rainbo, one of the worst plants of that era,
    a lot of people complained about quality issues.

The pre-2016 PF reissues:

release............Album ......................................Remaster...................................................EU Pressing...................USA Pressing
    April 2003 ....DSOTM 2003 EMI 30th anlg...Doug Sax & Kevin Gray AcousTech.........Record Industry.............Record Industry
    Sept 27 2011...DSOTM 2011 40th - Digital.....James Guthrie & Doug Sax TML..............Optimal..........................Rainbo USA
    Nov 8 2011.....WYWH 2011- Digital ..............James Guthrie & Doug Sax TML...............Optimal..........................RTI
    Feb 28 2012 ...The Wall 2012 - Digital ..........James Guthrie & Doug Sax TML...............Optimal..........................RTI

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Dr Jackson and 808_state like this.
  24. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I got the DS from Amazon.ca and am pleased with the sound. I see no need to get the BG version, although I'm sure I would like it as well. So far, I have the first five albums, OBC and the DS WYWH and have yet to get a defective pressing. All sound excellent. Both Doug and Bernie are excellent mastering engineers.

25. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Out of curiosity, what volume level do you normally compare pressings? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 the loudest.