Melanie C (ex Spice Girl) new album out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SeepSprite, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeepSprite

SeepSprite Forum Resident Thread Starter

Melanie C's new album Version of Me is out now. It has already peaked inside the Top 10 iTunes albums charts of 11 countries and the lead single has become a Top 30 radio hit in the U.K. The new album is more electronic than previous efforts.

willy and MrGrumpy like this.
  2. SeepSprite

SeepSprite Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also contains this track...

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I've certainly heard worse. I've never been fussy about the staccato vocal style, but I understand she is considered the best singer from the Spice Girls.

I have Northern Star, and it has the distinction of being the only Spice Girls-or-related material in my entire collection.

4. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

The whole album is really excellent. It's a mid tempo to down tempo electronic album except for Anymore and Numb. It reminds me of Madonna's Ray of Light, Massive Attack and Portishead. She actually writes very mature thoughtful albums.
    I don't own any Spice Girls albums, but I have all of her solo albums. They are all quite good, but Version of Me is more electronic, while some of the others are more rock/acoustic in the style of Natalie Imbruglia.
    Put aside your prejudices against the Spice Girls, and give Version of Me a listen.

5. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Big Mel C fan here. I consider "The Sea" to be her best album, followed closely by "Northern Star" and "Beautiful Intentions". I think she's at her best when she's deftly blending a variety of styles (e.g. dance/pop, ballads, electronica-lite) with a rocking edge. One listen to "Version of Me" and I can tell it's a bit too far on the electro-dance side of the spectrum. As a result, it's difficult to distinguish it from a lot of what's been on the mainstream radio for the past 5 or so years. Not sure if that was her intention, but I was hoping for something that was more uniquely her. Maybe future listens will change that; I can only hope so.

Worker likes this.
  6. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

I love the new single.

'Northern Star' remains a beautiful song and performance.

I really liked her duet with Bryan Adams, 'When You're Gone', too.

Galley likes this.
  7. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I actually like the new album more than her rock stuff. She incorporates modern electronic production but I think she maintains the essence of who she is. Some of the melodies on the album are similiar to the Sea. I do like modern electronic dance productions though.
    I never quite bought her as a fully rock artist so maybe that's why I love the album. The rock thing felt more like a pose to me to distance her from the somewhat cheesy Spice Girls past, rather than something that was genuinely her. I don't feel like she's a true rocker in her heart and soul like Courtney Love or Shirley Manson.
    I think she has very eclectic taste in music, so I'm not sure if there's one her.
    I first got interested in her not so much because of the Spice Girls but because I was a big fan of Madonna's Ray of Light and she worked with William Orbit. And of course I Turn to You was her big dance hit. So in a way this album is her coming full circle to where her solo album began not really jumping on a trend or anything.
    It's electronic, but I don't feel it sounds like mainstream radio. It's much more midtempo and even downtempo than recent radio stuff which is more thumping and bombastic. Plus, it has really intelligent insightful lyrics which modern pop usually doesn't have.

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Yeah another highly compressed new CD!! When will it end?

9. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Can you also give us a list of male singers whose facies and bodies are busted up?
    I'm tired of women in the music business being objectified as just their bodies and faces especially when they are as intelligent and talented as Melanie.

DTK and bob60 like this.
  10. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Respect the opinion, even as it differs from mine. :righton:

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Do we need another song about staying on the dance floor? We shall see.

12. Yes, I could give a list of males singers, but again, you guys are right; not only was I out of line, but also out of character for me. Sometimes we say or write something that isn't borne of our true feelings; it comes out for other reasons. The other reason in this case is a slab of prefab pop music that I disagree with on principle because it's a part of "the machine."

On the other hand, everybody has the right to eat, so who am I to judge anybody's effort to create "art" while making a living? I haven't the right.

It's all a matter of taste and I shouldn't sweat what's beyond my control.

She does have quite a good voice, though. Dare I say even better than her Spice Girls days? Yes, and she knows how to use it.

As for the objectification of women, it's tiresome, sure, yet even the first video, itself, is a symptom of the disease, with her office-inspired jacket, with nothing but a bra on underneath. The fact is - and this applies toward both women and men - sex sells albums, sex sells cars, television and TV dinners. If only she really was totally busted up in the face and body might her talents be truly writ large beyond the fascade of screen-beautiful. There's not an ugly person in the whole video, simply because ugly does not sell.

So, as far as objectification, doesn't the object allow itself to be objectified in order to achieve a desired result? I think yes.

I wish it were not so, but it is

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I got "NS" back in the day and liked it - partly. I enjoyed when Mel C went more "rock" but thought the album was spotty.

Got a couple of subsequent Mel C albums but they didn't do much for me, so I bailed on her work after that.

Really think the only great solo Spice album is Emma's "Free Me"!

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yes - if we don't constantly remind the public that they must stay on the dance floor, civilized society will collapse!

zen likes this.
  15. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

If you listen to the whole album, her lyrics are actually really good, they aren't just about staying on the dance floor. No, she's not super deep like Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan, but her lyrics aren't stupid either. I love dance/electronic music, but sometimes it does bother me when they have really superficial lyrics like just go party at the club. She actually digs pretty deep about her romantic relationships or her relationships with the other Spice Girls.

zen likes this.
  16. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The title of this thread doesn't not jive with the exclamation point at the end of it.

17. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

She's the only Spice Girl who's refused to Reunite with the others,holding out for a Solo Career,instead.

Maddy5 likes this.
  18. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

I think you don't understand the meaning of objectification. There is nothing wrong with using sexuality in your work because sexuality is part of life, we all have it and we all enjoy it! It's about who is in control and who leads the discussion. As a female artist, we are all allowed to use sexuality on our own terms. But when hetrosexual men look upon us with the male gaze and try to reduce us to just our bodies and our faces, that's when objectification happens. And her music isn't prefabricated, because she is very involved in writing it herself.

Honestly, straight men depress me sometimes.

19. mr_mjb1960

She was a Gymnast before being a Singer,so She had the right to be Busted up-Gymnastcs is a Rough and Tumble Business!

20. mr_mjb1960

Give it a Rest,OK? These posts only shows ignorance!

21. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

Not exactly true. Victoria doesn't want to be part of it either because she is busy with her fashion line. In fact, Mel C. said she would be open to it but only if it were the original five.

22. Maddy5

Maddy5 Forum Resident

She started her Version of Me tour in Scotland. She is actually doing most of the new album with a few older songs like I Turn to You and one Spice Girls song, Say You'll Be There. She has a new a band is playing everything very electronically, which is a nice change from her older more rock and acoustic shows.
    She is a great live performer, she really was born to be on stage.
    If you are interested Saturday's show is being streamed online here.

EXCLUSIVE! We're LIVE Streaming Melanie C's Concert On Saturday — Tune In To Spice Up Your Musical Life!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.