The Beatles Please Please Me album appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatles Fan 1999, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatles Fan 1999

Beatles Fan 1999 Active Member Thread Starter

Man what a debute!
    This is an excellent Rock album, from I saw her standing there, to Twist and shout it's one countinus burst of Rock N roll energy. What do ya think?

fer2, rock76, Pawnmower and 15 others like this.
  2. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, Please Please Me by The Beatles is a great debut album!
    Of course, the cover is so iconic, also.

My favorite tracks are:
    Misery
    There's A Place
    Do You Want To Know A Secret
    Love Me Do

Least favorite track:
    Boys

3. Beatles Fan 1999

What's your favorite song?

905 likes this.
  4. Beatles Fan 1999

Mine is Anna

fer2, pantofis, goodiesguy and 7 others like this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

A great rock 'n' roll album and the one time, in my opinion, The Beatles sounded really "present" on an album. I don't understand when I see people put it down, which doesn't happen often, but it shouldn't happen at all.

goodiesguy and andrewskyDE like this.
  6. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Love it. It's basically a live album. Live in the studio. Plenty of classic jazz albums was recorded that way but not so many pop, rock.

pantofis, deany76, spinout66 and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

There's A Place is my favorite song on the album. It's like In My Room's British cousin. John & Paul's voice blend together like magic. Great album overall, but it does have some weak points. I like With the Beatles a little better

8. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

even though i absolutely love all of The Beatles albums, PPM might be the one I listen to most often. ever since i was a kid, i've loved the intimacy and of many the vocals. the guys are all well represented. and it puts me back to a time when i can hear their own love of early R&R and soul coming through. it has a romantic quality.

9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I can't remember what book (or magazine) it was in but there was a great statement, it went something like:
    "If the Beatles had only existed until the recording and release of this album it still would have been a classic and timeless album"
    Everything is in it's place; the drama of "Anna"; the playfulness in the last few bars of "Misery", the sheer energy of Macca's count-in of "I Saw Her Standing There". It's the prime example of a band brimming with ideas and ambition. And the album closer rocks HARD!

10. zen

zen Senior Member

I've played it at least a thousand times at this point. Definitely in my top 5 of Beatles albums.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

My favorite Beatles album to be honest.
    I have 4 different copies of it. Two on CD (1987 mono remaster // 2009 stereo remaster) and two on vinyl (1970s german stereo reissue on EMI Electrola // 2009/11 stereo remaster, Apple).
    Maybe gonna buy the mono vinyl reissue sometime soon.

Fave track is the opener, 'I Saw Her Standing There' because of that "crispy" sound throughout the track.

Jimmy B., John Bliss and AJK74 like this.
  12. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

fantastic album. still sounds fresh and will hold up to repeated listings.

13. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I love it all. I bought it in 1988 on LP in stereo, after enjoying repeatedly playing my Dad's old EP of 'Twist And Shout'. It was like another world opening up to me with this weird stereo and such catchy, catchy tunes. I decided there and then, unlike my random collecting of Elvis Presley records, to do 'The Beatles' in order, one album a month. Fantastic journey. If I absolutely had to pick a favourite I think it would have to be 'There's A Place' but it's a tough call...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  14. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I too love the album, probably because, even though I like everything by The Beatles,
    I'm partial to their earlier recordings up to and including "Beatles For Sale/Beatles 65".
    And my favorite track (don't laugh) is "Ask Me Why". I absolutely love John's vocal and
    how the group plays it.

15. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

For what it is, it's a very good album. I personally think it pales in comparison to their later works, but that was to be expected with a group like The Beatles. Still, a very solid album, full of short, yet good ideas, and I like that. Sometimes it's fun to just sit down and get a lot of bite-sized ideas out of an album. Favorite track is hard, but I love "I Saw Her Standing There", "A Taste of Honey", "Misery", and "Love Me Do".

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

A near-perfect debut — marred only by that gawdawful cover of "A Taste of Honey."

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Clonesteak and bobc like this.
  17. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I love 'A Taste Of Honey'! Especially in my porridge! No, really, I do - 'Wawill retur-urn, yesawii-i-ill return'. Love it!!

rock76, goodiesguy, padesu and 8 others like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The pure joy of playing rock and roll, circa 1963, without pause or pretension. Despite the large number of cover versions, it's right up there with (or at least close to) "Elvis Presley" and "Chuck Berry is on Top". A great album.

19. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

First album I ever owned! Was given to me in 1969 by a lady for baby sitting her kids. My version was actually Introducing on the Vee Jay label.

Went home and played it and my life changed forever!!! Still my fav Beatle album for sheer rawness and fun! Love every song except Love Me Do and PS I Love You which weren't on my Vee Jay album .

andrewskyDE and Beatles Fan 1999 like this.
  20. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

A fantastic record, recorded under circumstances few of today's acts could match. Early Fabs seem to get ignored in favour of the Rubber Soul onwards stuff by many these days, but I find myself listening to the early records more and more. They're just so full of joy and I find them really life-affirming.

This record in particular is remarkable: from the 1-2-3-4 that it opens with to Lennon's Twist and Shout vocal at its conclusion. It shows the extraordinary versatility they'd developed as a live act in Hamburg and the Liverpool area - they paid their due and it shows... the relative rawness of the recording is also refreshing - the lack of polish adds real excitement and bite to the proceedings. This is the nearest most of us will get to hearing The Beatles before they went stratospheric; for that reason alone it's an invaluable time-capsule recording.

Objectively speaking, one might say it's not their best LP, but it may very well be their Greatest.

21. Koz3e

Koz3e Forum Resident

Took me a long time to get to this album. I had the Canadian Long Tall Sally and then the Early Beatles so I had covered most of the songs early on, but it wasn't until I heard the Parlophone many years later that I really appreciated it as a whole. I just bought the 2014 mono and my collection is now complete! Favorite song is Anna and I have to say that the original version by Arthur Alexander is just as good, but Lennon's anguished vocals beat it out by a tad!

22. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

It gets knocked because people like to compare and, obviously, the rest of their work is more tangibly impressive. But, taken on it's own, it's a great little album. Every song is catchy and there's some cool little melodies and harmonies, especially in their originals.

0476pearljam and AJK74 like this.
  23. 905

905 Senior Member

P.S. I Love You

24. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Agree re "With the Beatles" -- by far the Fabs' most underrated album.

I can't figure out, for the life of me, why almost everyone loves "Meet the Beatles" but down-grades "With the Beatles" (they're practically the same album!) :wtf:

Anyway, back to "Please Please Me":

Faves (in order):

Please Please Me (completely understandable that this started it all)
    Anna
    Twist and Shout
    Baby it's You
    Ask Me Why
    Boys (listen to them rip it up during the instrumental section!)

Dislikes (in order)::

Chains
    Love Me Do

nikh33, Yovra and Mr. Grieves like this.
  25. Beatles Fan 1999

PS I love you too

William Smart and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.