Brighton, UK Question

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Marc Perman, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just back from a nice day in Brighton, with a very heavy bag and a very light wallet! :D

Started at Wax Factor, where I got suckered into the side room with the treasure trove of 7" and 12" singles first - filled my boots with Genesis-related items that I don't see very often (some Tony Banks solo 7"ers, the "Counting Out Time" 7", a US "Your own Special Way" 7", the green "Lady Lies" flexidisc and plenty more besides) and a fistful of Mike Oldfield singles.

After that I picked up a few bits in the main room (a nice copy of Kraftwerk's "Trans-Europe Express" amongst them) and then headed on down to Monkey Music Emporium.

This really is a great place - records are mostly in the sleeves for inspection (try finding that in London!), and not only that but the outer sleeves are all stickered with useful info like what pressing the record is and what condition it's in, so you don't have to waste your time looking at G+ rubbish.

The prices were also much more reasonable than London (especially Soho), with most decent '70s albums less than £10 and plenty for £5 or £6. I really went to town here filling some gaps in my Queen collection, a couple of Yes and Rush albums, and a load of other things including a really lovely copy of "The Genesis Story" Japanese double vinyl compilation complete with OBI which I just had to have.

I actually made two visits here during the day as I had somewhere to be in the middle of the afternoon, and 1 hour just wasn't long enough in the shop- especially not if I wanted to do any proper crate digging in the £3 or 4 for £10 bins and boxes (which I decided not to, given that I had spent a fortune and could barely carry it all, as it was.)

Final port of call- Resident Records, which is a lovely "new record" store carrying everything you could think of- sadly due to my wallet and lack of time I didn't have much time to look properly but they found me exactly what I was after (the new Public Service Broadcasting live album on special blue vinyl, and the Ben Folds 10" RSD EP.)

I suspect this is not the last time that I go record shopping in Brighton (unless my partner has anything to say on the matter...)

Dubmart, eddiel and hamicle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.