"Gilmore Girls" Revival Coming to Netflix!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

2. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Even Sebastian Bach is back. I think literally every living cast member--no matter how minor--will be making an appearance except for you-know-who.

Gilmore Girls' Surprising Reunion »

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

5. fasto

fasto Forum Resident

I'm really looking foward to this.
    One of the interesting things about this show is that it's one of the few both my mother and I could enjoy together. She enjoyed the storylines and characters (which I liked too), but the pop culture references flew right over her head. Making mental notes of albums or movies Lane recommended got me through a few 'girly' moments. And seeing Sparks on there was just fun!

6. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

In hindsight, this was likely all just an extended publicity stunt. As cynical as I am, I can't believe I fell for it and thought McCarthy wouldn't make an appearance.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nah...I'm not buying it.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Wonder if we'll see Lane's first boyfriend Dave (Adam Brody) who fronted the band before he moved away and Zach took over. I liked them as a couple.

9. balzac

balzac Senior Member

The number of returning "guest stars" they're naming for this thing is making it sound like it's going to be a big "cameo fest", which can quickly become distracting and campy.

Hopefully thing doesn't play like the first episode of "Fuller House" where the entire thing is constructed on the back of "remember him? remember her? Oooh, look how much so-and-so has grown up!"

10. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Well, remember that there are four separate "movies" being shot and not every townie will be in all of them. For example, I read an interview with "Mrs. Kim" and she'll only be in one or two of them. "Jess" is in either two or three.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Will The Troubadour return !

13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Hopefully they'll dispense with the "Fuller House" embarrassing style of "See!!!! Remember that????"

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

So, anyone watch this yet?

I thought it was fine, but it seems to be getting a lot of hate from the fan community. A lot of the criticisms are actually pretty good points though.

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Yep - watch all four episodes in a row on Friday. Loved lots of it, was disappointed by some of it, still enthusiastic enough to hope for more to come. Still need much, MUCH more Lane and Paris.

16. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

We watched all 4 over the weekend and really loved them. We'd rewatched all the previous seasons running up to Friday and then just carried right on with the new ones.

The cosmetic changes in people's appearances (and maybe even the town itself) were a bit jarring doing it like that, but we soon got over it.

I don't have a lot to criticise, although I can see how people might complain about how the necessity of fitting (nearly) every single person who'd ever been a regular into at least one scene led to most people apart from the big few barely being in it at all. Sometimes it was a bit like "oh yeah, that character" without any real reason for it. I hope if they do more, they'll rethink that approach.

But I liked the storylines, I loved the tributes to Edward H, and I loved the final episode from start to finish- classic GG.

My girlfriend (I sound like Kirk now, don't I?) and her friends, who are massive hardcore fans, are all raving about it- I don't really feel like seeking out any negative opinions in case it spoils a second watch for me. :)

Deesky likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched a bit of ep. 1
    good to see Grant !
    aka The Troubadour

drasil likes this.
  18. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Watched 1 and 2 so far. IMO 1 felt too much like "lets get in as many guest appearances as possible". 2 seemed more true to form.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I've seen the whole thing and I loved it. There was a short period of acclimatization to people's changes in physical appearance, though Kelly Bishop doesn't seem to age. The opening banter in ep1 seemed a little forced, but it was no time at all before everything just seemed to click into place and it felt like old times once again.

I really got a kick out of seeing Sutton Foster singing and hoofing it again on stage like she did in another Palladino production Bunheads, where she was basically channeling Lauren Graham in the lead role. To have Foster confront Graham as an arch nemesis was too funny!

I was disappointed in the sequel to A Film By Kirk - the original was way superior!

The other thing that kind of stood out for me throughout the new episodes was the frequent emphasis on alcohol consumption in any given situation. It just seemed kind of weird and excessive.

Anyhow, I loved the new The Gilmore Girls and I'm assuming there will be another installment given the way it ended?

LivingForever likes this.
  20. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was a bit back and forth in terms of enjoyment for the revival. For every thing I loved (Paris, the funeral sequence, Lorelei's call to Emily on the hilltop) there was something that felt rushed, unnecessary or otherwise not great. I personally hated the musical plot in Summer- it went on forever, wasn't funny and took away screen time from things I would have preferred to see.

I didn't like the ending. We waited a decade. I wanted closure. Overall, I think I give it a B grade. Lots to love, lots of characters I was to check back in with, some beautiful scenes...but not quite all there for me.

It seemed like Amy Sherman-Palladino just ignored most of season 7- especially everything that happened with Logan that year. That was frustrating to me and seemed kind of petty. I know she wasn't involved that year and this was her chance to do the ending she wanted, but it was disrespectful to the show's continuity and the fans who watched all the way until the end.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

We're halfway through it and all I have to say is, the Palladinos really don't seem to like millennials very much! :laugh:

It's nice to see all the characters again, and there are some fine moments, but all in all it doesn't really measure up to the best moments of the original series. I do like that Edward Hermann is such a presence in the series even though he's passed on. Every beloved actor should get such a sendoff.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree with you that not everything worked, but overall I enjoyed it a lot. Of the things that didn't work for me so much were, as you say, the musical - it just went on and on and on. The only thing that was redeeming was Sutton Foster's performance, but otherwise it should have been chopped down to maybe one third running time.

The other musical number that was a kind of WTF moment for me was Life and Death Brigade thing. I'd forgotten who they were and at first I thought it was some kind of a dream sequence. It also went on way too long.

I wasn't crazy about Kirk's new film - they tried too hard to recapture that original moment, but it just fell flat and was unimaginative. The pet pig thing also wasn't funny or required. But the Ooober plot was kind of funny.

I also wondered how Rory could possibly be 'broke'. In the original series it was established that she had a trust fund to draw on after 25 or something like that, plus she would have inherited a truck load of money from her grandfather's will (seeing how even Luke got a big chunk). Also Rory's editorship at the gazette kind went nowhere - seemed like a wasted opportunity, given the setup.

So, these are my only gripes, but in the scheme of things given all the other awesomeness, they're minor quibbles.

23. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I finally watched the Fall episode over the weekend.

It wasn't perfect, but it had its moments.

Yes, the Life and Death Brigade thing went on way too long. Not to mention that the drive from Stars Hollow to New Hampshire would have taken at least three hours (a very long night). But this isn't reality. Yes, the hairpiece that Scott Patterson was wearing (probably not of his choice) should have been axed. Yes, some parts seemed forced. I didn't like Lorelei's new fridge. I did like Peter Krause's cameo.

I do think they gave a respectful nod to Edward Hermann and his character - especially in Fall.

It added some new unanswered questions like does Michel stay? It does leave the door open for new episodes.

24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't 100% agree with this review, but I think it makes some good points (points that in some case are true of the entire series, not just the new run):

The new Gilmore Girls is weirdly hostile toward fans, women, and storytelling in general »

Here's another with some similar points:

The 'Gilmore Girls' revival backlash proves why TV reboots are rarely a good idea »

I thought the new episodes did a surprisingly solid job of keeping the look and tone of a show that went off the air almost a decade ago. I have some criticisms, but many of them are the same I had during the original run. The character or Rory is indeed a rather "self-aggrandizing" character in many cases, and that's the root of some of the problems.

I also think this new run of four episodes had strong indications, and I'm only partially joking, that the three Gilmore women are all raging alcoholics. How many times do they pour themselves and each other drinks during these four episodes? Hard liquor is downed in every episode, in both stressful and mundane settings. Seems like a crutch for the characters and writers.

Rory also sucks at journalism, as many reviews have pointed out. It's like the showrunners decided she should be a journalist, and kind of didn't do any research past that. I'm also confused how she professed to have no money and no license, but was also driving a car and talking about buying a home. Wtf?

Luke is also somehow extra dumb.

The cameos didn't all feel rushed, but some did. The Dean one was the worst; as if the actor literally had ten minutes to step away from the "Supernatural" set and they had to rush through one take of their lines. I'm still not sure what the hell he was talking about.

I've enjoyed the entire series, all the seasons, for a number of reasons, but I always am happy to admit that the main characters in many cases are NOT very likeable people at their core. They are self-absorbed, they stress over a lot of stuff that isn't really stress-worthy, have rarely *really* had to deal with money problems (never, really, unless you count not being able to pay for private school).

Perhaps the most interesting point of one of the reviews of the new episodes is that the 2016 season plays more like "the alternate 2007 season"; if you pretend it's 2007, the lack of character progression makes a lot more sense.

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

My daughter is a huge GG fan and I agreed to watch it with her. I thought she meant the four new episodes. She wants me to see the entire series so I will understand all the plot points. That's like 26 hours of dramedy I don't even care for. "I don't make you watch football as a bonding experience" I said. But she held firm. So I watched the first two episodes, caught a few obscure (and mostly obsolete) pop-culture references and was done. If I hear "la la lalala lah lah lah" again I swear my head will explode. "Oh that gets even worse as the series goes on," she said, enjoying my pain. So it looks like it'll be a while before I see the reboot.

Gumboo and dkmonroe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.