A theory regarding 24bit/44.1kHz HDtracks releases of albums recorded on 16bit DAT

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

Just telling you what I have read. I believe the 24bit/96kHz transfers were from the original masters. This thread goes into detail about the sound quality and these releases get quite a few praises. From post #76 onwards is where the discussion turns to these being remasters for the 2007 vinyl reissues. I believe some tapes are missing, so they may have used an analogue back-up tape for some of them. I can't answer you question about Full Circle and Other Voices.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-complete-doors-studio-albums-at-hdtracks.299995/

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Going to revive this old thread. Are there any known cases where an older 16bit master was released as a "clone" - no mastering moves or conversion of any kind? As download or disc, either works for me.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The recent original mix of McCartney's Tug of War. Clone of an old CD mastering (possibly a direct transfer of the original master mix?).

This doesn't count but the Deluxe reissue of Bowie's Station To Station included a clone of the original West-German RCA CD... but of course that was mastered.

MrRom92 likes this.
  4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Tug of War seems like what I'd be after, there are very few cases where clones of the original 16bit master mixes have been released. Gotta check that one out!

5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Can I assume that the original vinyl pressing of 5150 I just listened to on my turntable was AAA? Sounded really good to me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.