Finally! Iron Maiden BLACK VINYL reissues coming in September... (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Dec 13, 2014.

1. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Is this going to only be a US release or UK too? 2500 seems a very low run.

3. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Finally I got Somewhere In Time, EMI, EMC 3512, original UK pressing, 1986! It sounds so much better compared to reissue. Beware those 2014 reissues.

mikedifr0923, GyroSE and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Congrats! :righton:

DoF likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Which 2014 reissues? US or UK?

6. DoF

DoF Less is more...

UE

7. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Was one better than the other? I may pick up a few.....not sure I want the hassle of finding originals and I never see them used

8. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Got Killers, EMI ‎– EMC 3357, EMI ‎– 0C 062-07 450, original UK pressing, 1981! It sounds so much better to these ears compared to reissue. Again, beware those 2014 UE reissues.

GyroSE likes this.
  9. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Don't be lead into temptetion - keep calm ;) and hunt for original pressings.

10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Did the European Union get a different set of reissues than the UK?

11. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Killers was the worst by far of the three EU reissues I have (self title, Killers and Number of the Beast). Self title sounds good, Number of the Beast sounds very close to my original CD so no real improvement there.

DoF likes this.
  12. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I wouldn't say beware of them because on the whole they are excellent. I have a UK original of Killers and while it does sound great I do find it a little bright in places. The 2014 re-issue is a much more darker presentation but it's definitely not bad just different (sounds even better when cranked up). POM, Powerslave and 7th Son are all amazing to me, the originals have a tad more bite/punch to them but the new ones ain't far off and also they don't have any IGD. NOTB sounds good too but my Fame copy is slightly better to me. The only one I would avoid is SIT as it has tape issues and my UK orig (even though a bit noisy) has a much better soundstage and outright kick to it.

DoF, Purple, iloveguitars and 3 others like this.
  13. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

What tape issues on SIT? (Sorry, I didn't read all previous 700 posts.)

14. mikedifr0923

Unless there is an absolute drastic difference vs originals I usually don't waste my time doing that other than one off albums here and there. In general most of the feedback I saw was that these were good if you don't have original copies. I do have number and SIT originals that were pretty noisy and skipped. Cleaned them to see if it would help but haven't checked them yet. If they are good I can stick with those.

Was just wondering if difference between U.K. And US if someone could answer that for me??

I haven't come across one used maiden album in the months I have been shopping for vinyl

15. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

There is tape-drag in lonliness of a long distance runner on the EU-version. US version is fine.

16. Neonbeam

It's funny how these discussions tend to move in circles. I thought the consensus was the EU reissues were well done. Now it's all starting again. Let's see what the consensus will be this time around:wave:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  17. mikedifr0923

So I should go EU versions except SIT if I listen to the above post? :D

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Neonbeam

It depends where in this thread you start reading:wave: If I remember correctly the EU pressings had a very good reputation except for "Number" in which case the flat transfer wrongfooted some members. Who thought it sounded like there was a "blanket over the speakers".

mikedifr0923 and violetvinyl like this.
  19. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

The blanket over the speakers definitely sounds like my EU 2014 Killers LP. The only other 2014 reissue I got was the US Powerslave which sounded good but I tracked down an original pressing and the original has better EQ to my ears. The US Powerslave reissue also contains my #1 pet peeve about new vinyl that I see sometimes, namely that the volume goes down the farther into the side that you get. To me this is completely inexcusable since it didn't happen originally and it doesn't happen on other new pressings of similar side length. My Powerslave isn't near as bad as some of the Rush reissue series though, where on Power Windows for example the last song is at less than half the volume of the first!

DoF likes this.
  20. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Any other opinions on Brave New World?

21. metalrules

metalrules Forum Resident

The RSD 2016 Brave New World sounds very nice to me. I thoroughly enjoyed it - better than the CD. Got a beautiful, quiet, clean, flat copy.

Purple, Merrick and bamaaudio like this.
  22. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I got a nice copy also, loved spinning this sounded great. Can't figure out who mastered it though, it's a different stamper than the CB HMV release from before. MPO pressed though.

metalrules and bamaaudio like this.
  23. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Seems that the RSD edition was US only? I didn't have any chance to get it at fair price, again. I'm pretty sure that it will be released normally at one point, but so far Iron Maiden seem to have little interest in my money. Oh well

Simon_LDT likes this.
  24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

If you think this thread is bad, hop over to the Metallica Hard Wired To Self Destruct thread! It went from worst ever album, band should retire to the best album ever made! :)

A similar thing happened over at the Kiss vinyl and Hirez thread as well....... It's all cyclical I guess.

25. mikedifr0923

Anyone who got BNW, was the vinyl filthy and smudged?? The one I got was (got it second hand but it appeared to be factory sealed). May be fine once I clean was just curious if anyone else had this problem.

Also, I think I asked a while ago but never saw any response, how do the 2014 vinyl pressings compare to the 95 castle CDs? Has anyone compared those?

Opeth likes this.