How about a Michael Jackson Ballads collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Is anyone else surprised that since his death Sony hasn't put out a Michael Jackson Ballads collection? It could include Jackson 5/Motown Solo/Epic Solo material. There are certainly enough quality ballads (many of which were singles) to fill up 60 minutes or more.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I'd buy it (... if the mastering was easy on the ears; i.e. not LOUD like The Essential or the bulk of his latter day comps). Ideas for the track list @PaulKTF or @JohnnyQuest?

johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. PaulKTF

I could probably put something together but I don't feel like doing the math to make sure it would all fit on one CD. But basically all of the singles that were ballads would be easy picks I guess

4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

This is the best I could come up with. This was mighty difficult! :sweating:

Early years:
    1. Who's Loving You
    2. I'll Be There
    3. Maybe Tomorrow
    4. Got To Be There
    5. Ben
    6. With a Child's Heart
    7. All I Do Is Think of You
    8. One Day In Your Life
    9. Even Though You're Gone
    10. Find Me A Girl
    11. Push Me Away
    12. Time Waits For No One

Solo years:

1. She's Out of My Life
    2. Human Nature
    3. The Lady In My Life
    4. Someone In the Dark
    5. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
    6. Gone Too Soon
    7. Someone Put Your Hand Out
    8. Stranger In Moscow
    9. You Are Not Alone
    10. Cry
    11. Speechless
    12. You Are My Life

5. PaulKTF

Sold! :righton:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I love the songs, love the sequencing, I could not make it through those CD's without bawling :)

7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Brilliant (and you beat me to it). I was looking at the solo albums. I think "Liberian Girl" has to be on it too.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

I was very close to including Liberian Girl but I wanted to keep the tracklistings even. :) My favorite addition has to be "Someone Put Your Hand Out".

I've introduced it to countless people and there hasn't even been one that didn't love it. Love, not like. :D Can we agree that MJ is also up there with the most versatile vocalists?

lightbulb and Thom like this.
  9. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Interesting because I'm not crazy about "Liberian Girl." Really I think ballads were his true métier, he could still do something like "Cry" and "Stranger In Moscow" even when faster songs and styles seemed to pass him by.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  10. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I love "Liberian Girl", and as a plus, MJ wrote it (and it's one of the most romantic songs he ever did). I'd have it, and bump "You Are My Life" (and hey, no "Butterflies"?)
    And yes, people can love or hate MJ, but his versatility and skill as a vocalist is absolutely undeniable. He's in the elite. :love:

11. JohnnyQuest

That's true. Even his arguably worst album featured a few of his very finest songs, and they happened to be ballads, Butterflies, Break of Dawn & Heaven Can Wait. :love:
    Thanks for reminding me of "Butterflies"! I might have to make a slight adjustment to my list :p But I can't omit "You Are My Life", I want to conclude the compilation with a beautiful tribute to us fans. Maybe Speechless should get the boot?

I agree. Even during his J5 years he was able to convey so much emotion though his vocals that it truly made me feel (on many occasions) as if he was singing about his own experiences. Weird, I know, but man, he was that convincing!

lightbulb, zebop and Thom like this.
  12. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I think deep down MJ was a traditionalist, as a writer. He could (and did) experiment a bit with his compositions, but it seemed to me he mostly liked traditional pop/R&B songs (his often-stated love for Charlie Chaplin's "Smile", calling it his favourite song, is an example of that). In the latter half of his career (the 90s and 2000s), the best songs he wrote were usually ballads, or conventional (in form and structure) pop/R&B tunes. "Stranger In Moscow" is the prime example of the former, and "Remember The Time" of the latter.

zebop and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

I think someone with a catalogue as small as his (especially as an adult artist) doesn't need more compilations.

14. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

"I'll Be There" is a vocal masterpiece, with the nuances in his voice and the shading. And he was 12. :faint:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. JohnnyQuest

It's a gift. He could give you goosebumps just with his vocal phrasing alone. :wtf: This is another early example of his vocal talents.

I love the "We're standing in the dark, playing in the grass. Yeahhhhhh" part in the outro.

lightbulb and Thom like this.
  16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

No, but a ballads comp would present an aspect of MJ that is too often overlooked. Everyone knows he was a brilliant dancer, and they all know the hits like "Billie Jean", "Bad" and "Thriller", but this type of comp would focus in on his voice, and his mastery of ballads and love songs, and draw attention to stellar vocals like, for example, "She's Out Of My Life", "The Lady In My Life" and "Liberian Girl". Michael Jackson for romantics (or romancing). o_O

zebop, johnaltman and JohnnyQuest like this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

@Thom You could feel the love and passion when he sings "First I place my arms so gently around you." (@1:57)

I don't know the full extent of their relationship but that's the sound of a man (boy, whatever lol) that loves his girl.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Thom likes this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Great track lists!

However, may I point out the musical elephant in the recording booth?
    Can we squeeze in two ballads that may sound familiar?
    "The Girl Is Mine"
    "Say Say Say"

After all, inclusion of these tracks may help move a few extra units... :agree: :laugh: :winkgrin:

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

patience........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.