Is Mick Jagger the only singer out there who still sounds exactly like when he was young?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident

I just think his tone changed radically in the 80s and never changed back. The youthful voice on say, Under My Thumb, could still be heard on Shattered. It took on a deeper pitch in the 80s overall. Look at his vocals on Steel Wheels and onward especially. Compare his vocals on Sad, Sad, Sad to the youthful sexuality of Satisfaction. He had a sultry voice as a younger guy that became more of a growl with age.

winston32 and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

We are good. No problem. Anytime i gigged on a regular basis we would tune a half step under 440. When we had piano, a good player could handle it no problem. As a singer that half step could make a big difference in survival.

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Studio trickery.

4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

David Byrne has mostly maintained his range, too. At least in the studio, he has.

5. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Has anybody mentioned Colin Blunstone?

BwanaBob, dangiedr and Jarleboy like this.
  6. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I didn't read all of this thread,so forgive me if Paul Rodgers has been mentioned...but that guy is as good as ever in my book.

jwoverho likes this.
  7. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Of course Mick doesn't sound exactly as he did in the '60s-'70's. But I think the OP meant that Mick sounds recognizably like his younger self and this is very true ---especially when you allow for the passage of time and the ravages of living the rock star life.
    If you play a late period Stones song--or something from the new blues album--everyone who's listening knows who is singing.

DTK likes this.
  8. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Suzanne Vega sounds really close to when she was young.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I was in a record store some years ago listening to the music on the shop speakers and thinking, "Who the hell is this idiot doing a crap Mick Jagger imitation?" Turned out it was Shine a Light.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I wonder what type of studio they brought into the Staples Center when I saw the Stones cause Mick sounded just as on point there as he does in this new album

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

If we accept the premise that Jagger "sounds exactly like when he was young", I'm afraid we then must concede that he most certainly isn't the only singer to do so.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

With all respect to the posters here I still believe my own ears more. And I never said that his singing didn't change over the last 50 years - there were many techniques and styles that he tried, some with great some with not so great results (I can't understand how anyone can love his OOT live barking on 1977 and 1982 live records) - nor I'm not too thrilled with his extremely polished and safe, almost AOR singing on some of his post-1989 studio work, both solo and with the band - what I meant is that he still has the very same range, bite, timbre and sound to his voice that he had in the early 60's and it all became so shocking obvious once they returned to the same kind of music once more on Blue and Lonesome. Mick's take on the blues was always very unique because of the youthful nature of his voice and I he still has it. I would never tell this man is 73 based on those tracks! But then again most 73 old men don't make young women pregnant and then dump them for even younger and hotter ones, like Mick did this year? Not to mention his incredible physique and energy for his age. If they wanted a seasoned old man singing the blues they always have Keef for that, don't they?

WilliamWes and jumpinjulian like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Mick is untouchable.

Van Morrison's voice is also quite similar to when he was young, and Neil Young's voice isn't as high but has retained the same quality and power.

Al Jardine is another who's close.

14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

15. teag

teag Forum Resident

Mic electronic tricks abound in live shows.

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I think there are a few that still sound as they did "back in the day." I was just listening to Michael Sweet from Stryper and his voice is 99.9% intact.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

a bit lower but thats it

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah (Re: Michael Sweet) a little deeper in tone for sure. I haven't seen the recent To Hell With The Devil tour, I would be curious if they play the entire album in the original keys.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not sure

20. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Darlene Love still sings great too.

Seeing both in a couple of weeks.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Or y'know, have you ever thought about the possibility that Mick Jagger is actually still a great singer? Lol

22. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

'auntie g.' sounded pretty painfull in the original, too, and i say that as a bit of a monkees fan.

cheers,
    rob

Ginger Ale likes this.
  23. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I saw Steve Miller a couple of years ago and was amazed how unchanged his voice was from the early days!
    Same with Al Jardine.

Here's the two of them together from about six years ago.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    oldsurferdude and Haristar like this.
  24. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

. . . And 1964 Mick doesn't sound like 1972 Mick.

He sounds great on the new Blue and Lonesome album.

stef1205 likes this.
  25. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Mick does not sound exactly the same as he did years ago. I hear an evolution in his voice from the mid 60's to the early 70's and more still throughout the decades since then. I think between stylistic changes and just natural vocal cord age and usage, his voiced slowly evolved through the years. He still sounds like what a 70+ year-old Mick Jagger should sound like, which is still quite good, but his voice has most definitely evolved since he was a young man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.