Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Dirt. A piece of dirt on the stage" he says before launching into a time-suspended Mr. Tambourine Man.

I concur with every word you've said about the Birmingham performance. The acoustic set is phrased like a beat poet should phrase it and has an immediacy and spontaneity that I don't hear in other shows except Leicester. What a pity Visions of Johanna cuts off in mid-song because it might be the best version in the box. Desolation Row, too. It's All Over Now Baby Blue is perfectly delivered with an epic, natural harmonica solo to close it. Just Like a Woman is ebullient and fragile, the sentiment both tender and savage in the same breadth. Dylan is in total command of his instrument on Mr. Tambourine Man. In fact I find these songs to be perfect performances. Very moving performances. The audience knows how lucky they are, too. I know there's an electric set but right now I'm just listening to the acoustics, and this is a great one sadly compromised by the tape running out twice.

Wait til you get to Leicester.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Like Roy Wood, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne, Denny Laine, Chris Wood, Christine McVie, Mike Kelly, Trevor Burton, Steve Gibbons etc. All idiots!

3. SeaDiver

SeaDiver Forum Resident

"Come up here and say that."

4. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Brummies = people from Birmingham.

Great place for a curry :righton:

The Brummie Acoustic is pin drop clear and quite amazing to hear Dylan so clear - a true in the room experience.

Richard--W likes this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Brummies means people from Birmingham.

Richard--W likes this.
  6. Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman Well-Known Member

Yes, I know, I am one.

voles, goer and Billy Hunt like this.
  7. Zagonga

Zagonga Forum Resident

Regarding the Double vinyl / 2cd Royal Albert Hall 26-5-66 set :
    The sound quality is just totally stunning.
    The version of Desolation row is utterly breathtaking, with incisive phrasing that beggars belief. The finest version I've heard to date...

8. SeaDiver

SeaDiver Forum Resident

Just been listening to the Clinton Heylin interview. I am not sure if he mentions this in his Judas book but he says that the reason the Manchester 1966 gig was previously thought to be from the Royal Albert Hall, London is that the tape box of the Manchester gig says "Royal Albert Hall, Manchester".
    Incidentally Clinton Heylin also says that he believes Dylan's illness at the end of the UK 1965 tour, when he is ill in bed at the Savoy Hotel being looked after by a private nurse, was caused by a bad acid trip from a party he went to. He says that Vince Taylor (part of the inspiration for David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust character) was also at that party and also had a bad acid trip causing Vince to announce to the audience at the following night's gig that he was Jesus Christ.

9. Richard--W

Hmmm. How do you get Brummies out of Birmingham? Shouldn't they refer to themselves as Birmies? or just plain 'hams?

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm a little late to the party but my box arrives today !

HominyRhodes, voles, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  11. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

OH, you are in for a treat ;)

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. psychtrailmix

For those who pasted the loose sheet that was included on the bottom on the box to the inside of the box lid - what kind of paste/glue did you use? Obviously white, runny, elmers glue is not a wise choice... just wondering out of paranoia, so I don't mess anything up with this beautiful treasure trove.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I wonder if Robert Plant and John Bonham were in the audience that night.

I'd like to think that seeing Mickey Jones smack his drums around gave Bonham the inspiration to hit harder.

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Elmer's here.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The packaging on the 2-cd could be better - the spine easily tears when trying to get the cds out of the carton. May have to convert the whole thing into a jewel box.

16. Richard--W

I thought the 2-CD RAH might fit in The Complete Albums Box. It's roomy in there. But nope. Too long.

17. OrenthalJSimspon

OrenthalJSimspon Well-Known Member

213 pages of wisdom and entertainment. and it's free. Thanks everybody.

18. psychtrailmix

You used the regular liquidy white elmers glue?

19. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I posted this upthread (but I understand that you don't want to read 100's of posts to find it!). If you are talking the 36-CD box, I used a judicious amount of Elmer's All Purpose Gluestick. I agree that the runny stuff isn't such a wise idea. So far, so good on my end.

20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Dont think I will glue, but it's a great idea.

I like how clearly marked the discs are. So easy to read. I am kind of a brute with handling things and the disc holders are still solid.

I hate expensive items that must be treated carefully. So glad this is neither of those, and yet it's maybe my favorite release ever.

I want a quality print of that Paris still frame (cd 27) with the flag perfectly framed in the shot.

21. rdog

rdog Forum Resident

Odd. My CD box fits perfectly. Sheet on the bottom glued solid. Amazon US order.

It happens.

lschwart likes this.
  22. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Regular. Archaeologists will have to deal with the effects.

Walt likes this.
  23. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Pritt stick

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The city was once referred to as 'Brummagem' - hence, the slang name for its natives.

Sidebar to this discussion, but I think of Birmingham as Britain's MAJOR musical city: both it, and the West Midlands generally, fail to get the credit for the amazing array of artists who have come from the area. You can go beyond the rock era and add Elgar (arguably England's greatest composer) to the roster as well. Birmingham definitely has the beating of Liverpool and Manchester in terms of musical output.

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Mine too. Same source. Snug fit, and I did the glue stick thing with the sheet, too.

L.