The Official Beck Vinyl Reissue Campaign Sound/Pressing Quality Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bernard hansen, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernard hansen

Bernard hansen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Huge fan of course. I have seen the Bong Load reissue thread, VMP reissue comments and the Odelay and Sea Change thread.

I thought I would start one one the overall quality of the entire reissue campaign.

If there is already one going, please forgive and delete. I have received 'Guero' first and will leave my own thoughts as well.

Cool to be here with all of you folks. Thanks...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. Bernard hansen

Just finished comparing my original UK 2lp 45 RPM pressing of 'Guero' to the reissue. I think I like the original a bit better, perhaps from familiarity, but the reissue, in my opinion, is close enough to merit it a great listen in its own right. Never the best sounding album in Becks cannon as far as I'm concerned, whether it be cd or vinyl, I love this record and would recommend the reissue or the original without reservation. The Lp was flat, relatively noise free and the gatefold cover is identical to the UK original.

I can't wait for 'Sea Change' to arrive.

3. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Is the Guero reissue on a single LP?

Bernard hansen likes this.
  4. Bernard hansen

Yes

5. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

I'm eager to know how the mofi for Sea Change stacks up with the current reissue. It's nice to have a copy finally as the mofi's have been going for crazy money.

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I would think it has a better chance of comparing to the original DGC Release in Fidelity.

I just wonder how dynamic these can sound with all of that music on one disc?
    Only because I already have everything.
    Some numerous times over in different pressings.

I will buy a Midnit Vultures, though. Because people always want to take that one off the shelf...

7. Bernard hansen

Thats why I bought the single lp 'Guero' just to see how it fared against the 2lp version. I think in the end it does benefit from being a 2lp as opposed to the single. I do stand by the idea that it isn't as much a sonic masterpiece as maybe 'The Information' but perhaps others will think differently.

I think the reissue will do for anyone who hasn't had or cares to purchase the 45rpm version, but I do not think the reissue beats the original.

funknik and Naughty Chord like this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Sea Change sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Just played it a little while ago. I have multiple copies of Guero and Odelay.
    Will we be seeing the entire catalog?

Naughty Chord and Bernard hansen like this.
  9. Bernard hansen

Gotta at least have Midnite Vultures and The Information and I'd be happy.

Porkpie, mcenters, ODShowtime and 3 others like this.
  10. Vinyl Addict

That's certainly 2 at the top of my list.

11. Bernard hansen

Can't believe I forgot Mutations!!!! I need a drink! Perhaps a glass of Caduceus?

Preston and Naughty Chord like this.
  12. Official ? Cool! Sanctioned by Mr Hanson? :tiphat: Just busting your balls. I'm ammused when threads pop up called Official.

Anyway I love Beck so I'll play along...

13. Bernard hansen

I looked at my title the same way. Silly and pretentious right? haha! Just like rock and roll.

Mazzy likes this.
  14. willy t

willy t Well-Known Member

Ok as far as pressing quality I listened to Odelay all the way through. Perfect
    Moved on the Guero. Perfect
    Last Sea Change
    Got to side D. 2 seconds of non fill in track one side D
    Don't k ow whether to return it and try my luck on another copy
    Any suggestions?

15. Vinyl Addict

You tried giving it a good wash?
    My Sea Change sounds great.

16. willy t

willy t Well-Known Member

Yes I have a vacuum. It's non fill that can't be cleansed away

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You're returning it for 2 seconds of no-fill? And I thought I was fussy. I been getting so many warped records lately, I would trade a warped record for a record with a minor issue like this...

theshape, ted321 and Bernard hansen like this.
  18. Bernard hansen

Sea Change arrived today. Vinyl came flat, labels centered, virtually noise free and sounded quite nice to my ears. Happy so far!

havenz likes this.
  19. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I'm very glad to read this! I had a bit of buyer's remorse after I purchased the new reissue and realized the UK 2LP 45RPM was still available. I think the single LP sounds good, and if the 45rpm is only a marginal upgrade, I'm cool with letting it be - Guero is not an album I feel the need to repurchase. It's 51 minute run time does give me pause, however.

Beck's albums tend to run at right about the 50 minute mark, and it seems there's a desire to keep them on a single LP. 'Morning Phase' was about 50 minutes, too, and I'm concerned about the forthcoming 'Mutations' and 'Midnite Vultures' LPs, both of which would be at the 50 minute mark with the bonus tracks included (which CANNOT be excluded). I am hoping these will be done as 2LP editions or at least LP+7" but it looks unlikely. Anyway, I hope they cut those LPs well, because they are the most important ones to me and have not been available on vinyl for a long time.

As someone pointed out, the 'Odelay' reissue uses some slightly different mixes, but I think it sounds great - flat, quiet, dynamic, affordable.

Bernard hansen and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I have about 2 seconds at the beginning of side B. Not worth returning.

21. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I can't imagine the new one approaches the MoFi. I base this on the fact that the Sea Change MoFi is close to the best sounding vinyl record I have ever heard.

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Non fill problems usually affect the entire pressing run, it's a press-temp issue.

funknik likes this.
  23. Bernard hansen

Just tried the download code for Sea Change, for the heck of it and it didn't accept it.

24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Does anyone know source was used and the mastering details...hirez digital perhaps?

Odelay sounds good but not great to my ears....no pressing issues tho.

richbdd01 likes this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I would guess 96/24 but Odelay sounds pretty average imo. I got rid of mine. I reckon it's too long per side aswell.

polchik and LeeS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.