The return of BBC TV's Top Of The Pops

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Emberglow, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I've said this before, edit the presenter links for the offending episodes. Apparently budgets for the BBC4 repeats are not high so BBC doesnt want to spend cash on such effort. Either that or there is some other reason i'm not aware of but thats how i'd do it.

duggan and Porkpie like this.
  2. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i also understand why we can't show Saville and some others on terrestrial tv, however it remains a part of the historical record so maybe the BBC show send this archive to you tube so it is available to watch there, there is an historic totp spin off colour programme from 1969 called pop go the 60's which we can now never see in full cos that fiend is all over it, like i say i understand why the bbc can only show clips now but imho the whole thing should be sent over to youtube, its not as if seeing Saville is going to deprave or corrupt us, but i do understand broadcasting him on terrestrial tv would now be understandably offensive to many.

I never liked Saville anyway, nor King, nor DLT for some reason...

Porkpie and Man at C&A like this.
  3. Almost Simon

I saw that Pop Go The 60's show just before the Savile story broke. I remember it being fascinating, certainly The Who and other acts. Again, edit the links.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think it's that because they edit most of the earlier showings and show the complete episodes after midnight. It could be because the victims could possibly be in shot while the bands are on, but they still show clips from them in other compilation programmes on BBC4.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's been shown on a channel called Yesterday a few times with the Rolling Stones clips edited out. I recorded it to DVD. Most of the clips from it are repeated frequently on BBC4.

6. muffmasterh

sadly the German girl talks thru the Hollies he aint heavy but as far as i am aware at least she hasn't been accused of being a nonce

And of course the BBC in fact had shown an highly edited version of that show anyway, nothing to do with saville but taking out all the german links, by the time they had finished it a 90 min show was reduced to less than 60 !! That irritated me anyway before we even get to editing out Saville !

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

A good friend of mine is high up in the BBC archives department, there is no budget to edit the shows.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. muffmasterh

oh man thats a friend I'd like to have, what a great gig

9. Almost Simon

Just seen this news on the Top of the Pops facebook page. Sadly some more episodes we won't get to see..........but thankfully not due to the same reason for the other missed episodes.

"as you may have noticed in the television schedules, the BBC are not showing the 4th November 1982 edition of Top Of The Pops in the repeat season on BBC4. Mike Smith was the host of this particular edition (his very first as host), and there has been a lot of speculation on various platforms as to why this was the case.

While he was alive, Mike Smith decided not to sign the licence extension that would allow the BBC to repeat the Top of the Pops editions that he presented. Since his passing, the BBC is continuing to respect his wishes.

As a result of this, no editions that feature Mike will form part of future repeat runs."

This is very sad. He was a great broadcaster, both on TV and radio, now sadly passed. No idea why he didn't sign off the rights, a very big shame.

I seem to remember back in the early 90's when UK Gold were showing their random 1970's episodes that for some reason the Noel Edmonds episodes were not shown aside from a few glimpses of the man appearing momentarily appearing in other presenters editions. He later signed off and allowed the BBC4 repeats. But Mike Smith no longer with us to allow his to be shown. :sigh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

FFS!

goodiesguy, Porkpie and bob60 like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This means that if 1983 goes ahead, which it should do, yet again another substantial chunk of them will not be shown. :shake::realmad:

12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Surely this will make the BBC get their act together and just show the performances without the presenter links on the "banned" episodes.

It was enough that the Savile and Travis episodes were banned but this is just laughable.

13. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Is there any point to it? Soon they'll prob do away with the DLT episodes (it they haven't) and what about Mike Reed? Doesn't he now support some extreme right in politics or something? Surely Mike Smith's estate could sign off on this to honour his memory

duggan likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

They've been missing the DLT shows out for a few years.

15. Almost Simon

His family could but I assume that question would have been put to them a while back, seeing as now we're at the point where his shows are due to be shown.

Annoyingly in 1983 they started to double up, so they presented in pairs, which I where I remember that the Peel/Jensen partnership comes into its own. But Smith tended to partner with Tommy Vance, who I'm big fan of so sad to miss those too.

I do respect his and his families wishes. A big shame but yet another hurdle that us TOTP fans will have to live with.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

...........although by the same token I am annoyed at how TOTP presenters themselves get to say what episodes we watch rather than the acts themselves. Surely the presenters are less important?

I'm sat here feeling guilty for questioning why Mike Smith's episodes are being shown yet I don't watch for the presenter, its the music.

Always get a mixed feeling with this type of thing:sigh:

richarm, Man at C&A and muffmasterh like this.
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

To be fair, the whole BBC by this point has proven to be a corrupt organisation and staffed a number of sex offenders so it's all a little hypocritical that they're acting a little holy around not showing anything these sex offenders were involved with, however I understand if there's no budget to edit the shows, they must have spent it on the last season of Top Gear.

goodiesguy and Dave Decadent like this.
  18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Wow. Had no idea Mike Smith had passed away. RIP. It was nice, if a little sad, to read that he & Sarah Greene (another TV presenter of the era too) were still together right up to the end.

Anyway, that screws the 80s TOTPs as he was still presenting them right up to late in the decade...

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Is TOTP on BBC4 once or twice a week just now?
    I am out of the country a lot so I record it onto my humax box, but looking at the BBC4 listings I am missing episodes.

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Didn't they show the artists while editing out the Saville/DLT intros? Surely that's not a difficult thing to do. Maybe too costly as they tend just let the original tapes run through.

21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

We're ALL missing episodes, dear.:laugh:

Sometimes it's on twice a week. Last week it was only one once. I think they're showing 2 episodes back to back over Christmas..

The last one shown was from November 1982. Eddy Grant was #1 with 'I Don't Wanna Dance'.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  22. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They are editing out the Jonathan King USA spots now. At least they're not scrapping the entire episodes..

Purple Jim likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

This is hopeless, I may as well stop watching/recording it, what with the 'missing' episodes and now the random scheduling..

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Almost Simon

No, no, no, don't do that. It is a pain in the backside but stick with it.

Christmas shows for 1982 will be annoyingly missed as they feature Savile, Travis and (although for no way the same reasons) Mike Smith. There are some highlight show over the Christmas BBC schedules although not clear if this covers the missing performances.

Not sure we can accuse them of random scheduling. The Sky at Night is always shown once per month, has been like that for the past 5 years, so that takes up one slot. But with the new "2 years in 1" TOTP repeat policy it means that you get all the viewable episodes during one year. 2017 means we get 1983 and 1984. 2 of my favourite years. Some classic during that time. The Smiths, China Crisis, etc etc. Will be great. Story of 1983 scheduled for early January.

Don't ever stop watching!!

Jim B. likes this.
  25. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I am just watching an episode with Barry Manilow singing I Wanna Do It Wth You. I dont recall that single at all, I really like it. It wasn't a video but a studio performance, only not the TOTP studio.
    Also it had to be said that Barry looked good (for Barry anyway). He was grinning away like he was in a really good mood, though I suspect his tongue was firmly in his check given the song title. It didn't help that he was backed by singers who looked like they were auditioning for the Osmonds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.