Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As I saw through both threads (this and the older one), most of you guys prefer the film More. So I better should focus on that one when I get the Continu/ation book/box next week.

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I know this won't fit to the recent box set or the thread in itself, but I hope they will find tapes of the Animals tour sometime.

JulesRules, bcaulf and Bink like this.
  3. zabble

zabble Forum Resident

Andy Jackson confirmed that there was never a quad mix of the complete "Meddle" album. Only the song "Echoes" was ever mixed in quad.

4. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

About the journey and not the destination resonated with exactly what I was thinking (I liked Sayles Lone Star, especially how the story was told in a non-linear manner, the conception, construction, editing - much of Tarantino was likely influenced by Kubrick's The Killing).

David Lynch films could be another sort of litmus/acid test for different kinds of sensibilities and what does (or doesn't) appeal to them.

Some people can't stand films like Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway, because the plot isn't wrapped up in a neat and tidy bow, where everybody knows what *REALLY* happened (and he did work in more realistic, "representational" genres, too, such as Elephant Man and Straight Story). A lot of great art, such as literature, painting, etc. can be characterized by lending itself to multiple interpretations. Maybe it is a post-modernist principle that it may be missing the point to look for the *RIGHT* interpretation. Lynch claims that either on Eraserhead or more likely Mulholland Drive, he has never yet seen a public, critical interpretation that aligned with his own sense of "meaning" and "intent" (whatever those descriptive terms might mean to him in this context). He categorically refuses to explain the meaning of his films, as perhaps for him it is subjective and personal to each individual, and/or he prefers everybody to work it out for themselves and not be told "what they are supposed to think". Who knows, maybe some may think of layers of symbolism and thematic connections on their own and unprompted by him that could in theory make sense of the material EVEN FOR HIM AND BY HIS STANDARDS BETTER THAN HE COULD (given a richer, more complex and interconnected interpretive context). After all, Lynch seems like somebody with a bat phone to the unconscious (and some of his images and scenes may at times be in the service of maximal resonance and impact, not what is the most linear, rational plot element - for instance, it may be unclear how what happens behind Winkie's Diner connects to the main plot of Mulholland Drive, but it is no less powerful for that!) :cool:

THREAD ALERT - BELOW MAY BE OFF TOPIC DIGRESSION, FEEL FREE TO SKIP

There is a long tradition that extends to ancient times and has an unbroken lineage to the present. It can come in many guises and forms, but a common denominator has to do with "inner knowing", sometimes called gnosis (without being dogmatic or doctrinaire, there are contemplative Christian traditions, kinds of Hindu and its offshoot Buddhist meditation can fall into this category, Sufi traditions, etc.).

One of the greatest thinkers in general and psychologists specifically in the 20th century, Carl Jung (and his more contemporary protégé in the fields of myth and religion, Joseph Campbell - such as Hero With A Thousand Faces), represented this tradition with his work regarding, among other things, concepts and phenomena such Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious. A last connection in this context, to tie things together and come full circle, so to speak, is the foundational work of Chinese philosophy titled the I Ching (interestingly, Jung wrote an intro to the standard, classic [[in the West]] Wilhelm/Baynes translation). It is probably commonly described as an "oracle". Jung thought of it more as a potential aid in thinking about something, coming to a judgement or decision, etc., by lending insight to the user's inner state at a given moment of time. In other words, sometimes it may matter less the exact nature of the aid, than that SOME form of aid can often offer much needed outside perspective from our routinely habitual, deeply ingrained thought processes (Brian Eno's Oblique Strategies is a more secular example that might also fall into this category?).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Thelonious_Cube and rontoon like this.
  5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Enjoying the large scale reproduction memorabilia today, it's all really cool and well done methinks. It's fun to "immerse" yourself in the stuff while listening. One that I particularly like is the poster from the Australian 71 tour, hadn't seen that before.

The Man and The Journey book is also neat. It continues their use of cool Marvel collage pieces and some drawings that I'm guessing are by Nicky Mason as they have that Relics look. Anybody know for sure if he did them?

6. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

I get that. The valley is a McGuffin. But other films that use something symbolic as a plot device (I think the Maltese Falcon is a great early example of this) at least show the damn thing at least briefly. There is no closure on this film. You never know if all the trouble was worth it for the characters, so the film ends up not being worth the time I invested in it. I haven't watched this movie since I was a teenager, but I know I'd still feel ripped off if I saw it now
    Yeah but Paul could write a whole album full of hit singles with a rubberband and a piece of string
    Thank God! They might've done the whole thing as badly as Echoes. The whole mix moving from speaker to speaker during the funky part? Seriously? Whose idea was this? And the whalesong sounds are together even though there are several layers of them at varying volumes/distances. These should have been all over the place. Dave's distorted guitar solos should rotate around like they do in concert. This song is the most perfect song to make a multichannel mix of out of all their work. It has so much potential, but they totally blew it. Worst. Quad mix. Ever.

7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

My favorite reproduction piece from the box set.

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

One could also say that about the film that you guys obsess over.

Fungusmungus likes this.
  9. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Remember, Ron, I hate that movie. Total crap to me, and I personally recommend that if you are curious about Zabriskie Point, give up. Don't bother watching it. Big waste of time that will leave you confused and disappointed. I am only knowledgeable about it because I've had facts beaten into me for years. It's not my obsession at all. I only keep up with the work because of the Pink Floyd angle, and for historical purposes

10. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

The acting in "More" is at times wooden (or is it the German accent?) but I find it very fitting with the superficial nature of drug-driven relationships and the broken interpersonal communication. I like some of the imagery and how the euphoria/dysphoria theme is handled.

Oh, and I like the music, too. :) In fact, "More" is easily one of my 5 favourite PF albums and - as it changes over time - sometimes one of the 3 favourite ones.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

I don't mind open ended movies.

As far as being disappointed about not finding out at the end what *REALLY* happened, the movie is make believe. Fantasy. Imaginative.

There is no *REALLY*. Unless a movie is a so called true story or biographical (like A Beautiful Mind), in which case the rules are different.

I was at another site and there was a lot of back and forth and obsessing about technical flaws in the last Star Wars. So I chimed in, and noted being outraged that the laws of biology and physics weren't observed in depicting Tigger in Winnie The Pooh! :cool:

* Seriously, guessing I'll never be venturing into the mountainous, jungle interior of Papua New Guinea, so being able to see it (and the people) in a way I probably never could otherwise was for me, in and of itself, a worthwhile experience.

marmalade166 and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Do you like anything?

Reading your posts makes me think you hate everything and should change your name to Captain Neg (as in negative.)

13. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

What's the point of pointing out what's right with the world when so much is wrong that needs to be seen to?
    I'm actually kinda fond of the Pompeii audio remix other than the over the top high end. I can finally hear things distinctly, and the tone isn't all midrange honk.
    I love the corrected STLS. At last it's what it should always have been
    I like that this box set isn't padded out with useless scarves and marbles
    I like sunny days and long walks on the beach...

Just be happy this isn't a discussion on various special edition revisions of Star Wars

14. generic

generic Forum Resident

man, there's no doubt mccartney was always a more proficient and naturally talented musician than harrison. mccartney's like the guy at school who excelled without ever needing to study. harrison was the quiet kid with his nose in the books all week who'd show up and ace the test. maybe harrison was better at sitar because he studied it more, but i bet if you had handed each of them their first sitar at the same time, mccartney'd have written a song on it within half and hour while harrison was still figuring out the scales :D

not to mention... i'm struggling to think of an example of harrison playing bass, piano, or drums... on a beatles record, anyway. not sure if he tackled those things in his solo career...

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

WRONG F'ING THREAD!

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, I'm very happy about that :)

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Fair enough.

18. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I don't think anyone answered your question so here goes.

The Château d'Hérouville is, as the name implies, in the village of Hérouville twenty or so miles North West of Paris. A French film score composer called Michel Magne set up a studio there at the end of the sixties. He was nearly forty years old.

He called his studio "Strawberry Studio" which explains the photo credit.

A couple of interesting things about this château. The pianist Chopin would meet up there with his French lover, the writer George Sand (real name Amantine Dupin). Ten minutes' drive away is Auvers-sur-Oise where painter Vincent Van Gogh is buried.

Several famous artists other than the Floyd used the studio including Bowie, the Bee Gees and Elton John (he called it Honky Château). The Grateful Dead even gave a free concert for the village inhabitants there when a show was cancelled.

But the story has a sad ending. Michel Magne went bankrupt mainly due to money he'd lost buying and maintaining the château.In 1984 he eventually committed suicide in a hotel room rather than face more court proceedings. His remains are in the same cemetery as Jim Morrison's in central Paris.

[​IMG]

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Echoes in 4.0 is such a treat !!!!

Dömök Szabolcs likes this.
  20. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

Could I just jump into this thread and ask a question about the immersion box sets - being without a surround sound set up and I know there are stand alone CD's and DVD's but if the surround set up isn't available, are they a bit redundant for the casual potential buyer?

21. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Harrison played bass on Maxwells Silver Hammer and She Said She Said, which is the best Beatle song. Respect to MaidenPriest. And yes wrong thread I know, go easy, just had to point that out.

22. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

I am desperate to get a better sounding Moonhead any suggestions ? :(

23. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Start a band and record it yourself?
    I did that with One in a Million and a hybrid of the acoustic studio version and the electric live versions of Embryo

Regarding the Chateau post above, you forgot to mention Jethro Tull, whose ill-fated attempt to make an album there led to them nicknaming it the Chateau D'isaster

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I want to hear your version of One in a Million!

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Welcome to the post-truth era. The audiophile community has apparently been ahead of the curve in many ways, leading the way for society.