Badfinger...anyone listening lately?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoryStorm, Jan 28, 2015.

1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I've heard a few on YouTube. They all sound like they were taped over a bad interstellar phone connection on a cylinder made of sandpaper because Thomas Edison's grandfather ran out of wax.

One hopes that the Beeb has better quality source material and didn't wipe the tapes because they needed them for Wurzel Gummidge singalongs.

Criminy pete, D.B. and Peter_R like this.
  2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Possibly my favourite post of the year! :cheers:

3. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I listened to the 2010 reissue of Straight Up earlier day, and it made me think how criminally underrated this band is, so many more people should know their music. Also, Badfinger seemed to keep just as many gems in the vaults as they released. All these bonus tracks would make a fantastic album in their own right, IMO.

4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

There are still a few more outtake in the vaults.

It would be nice to get a Apple Boxset treatment of more alternate versions, outtakes, and demos from the band members one day too!

If it was possible to get a Deluxe Remaster for Wish You Were Here album, vinyl and CD one day, apparently Warner/Rhino are not interested in the two albums the band recorded in '74.

Criminy pete and ccbarr like this.
  5. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

That would be a fantastic wish come true if it were to ever happen. I've wondered if there was still some songs in the vaults, glad to hear that there are some. I would love a set like the Big Star Complete Third for any/all of Badfinger's albums. A couple discs showing how the songs evolved, and then a third disc with the album proper and any bonus tracks. Or a 4 CD set would work too.:)

Criminy pete and longdist01 like this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

A little Christmas spirit here

D.B. likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Rehearsing in Clearwell Castle
    Gloucestershire, October 1971

[​IMG]

Criminy pete likes this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

48 years ago (Dec. 6, 1968) a unique Christmas recording was completed by members of The Iveys, submitted to Apple, played for Tony Bramwell whereupon it was pressed on an Acetate disc. This "Rare" item was discovered few years ago in of all places South Africa!

Audio from Antonio Caroselli (audio restoration - Dan Matovina)

9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

11. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

The BBC taped over so many irreplaceable music videos. I don't even want to think about it.

12. Criminy pete

This is OUTSTANDING! Where exactly in South Africa was it found? Someone's personal collection or what?

13. Criminy pete

Anyone else have the doc. Jukebox Heroes?

longdist01 likes this.
  14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Hopefully BBC will allow that Jukebox Heroes : Badfinger "Maybe Tomorrow" episode to be posted online again!

Criminy pete likes this.
  15. Criminy pete

I was just talking about that.

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Oh hello. I didn't know there was enough out there available to make a full album. Geez, I'm going to be broke soon I can tell. I've heard these are cool comps. It's about time I tracked them down.

Speaking of the Iveys period, were there any singles released in mono that are not easily available? "Maybe Tomorrow"? I don't think there's a mono mix of the first album unless somewhere here knows better.

17. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Those Apple Music publishing comps are worth getting. I've got all five, and there are dozens of great songs on them, not just by the Iveys. Some wonderful psychedelic pop awaits you - enjoy!

18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

If Apple/Universal would offer a Remaster for "The Iveys - Maybe Tomorrow" they could include a few more outtakes, Mono versions, plus the alternate mixes put on Magic Christian Soundtrack (orchestra) album (Commonwealth), maybe a few BBC Radio tracks. The Iveys material was out in 1992 on CD/LP reissues, but not included in the 2010 Remaster series

19. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

I believe all the songs from Maybe Tomorrow that weren't originally remixed and carried over to Magic Christian Music are represented in the bonus tracks of the 2010 Magic Christmas Music remaster. Mono mixes, remixes and alternate versions are included, although that still leaves behind the original stereo mixes from Maybe Tomorrow. It was a surprise they even bothered to release it in 1992, but I'm certainly glad they did since it's much better than the bootlegs.

longdist01 likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

I was expecting it not to be reissued in 1992, yet when Apple did the Remasters catalog for 2010 they basically "deleted" The Iveys - Maybe Tomorrow album and added much of the tracks onto MCM release now under the name Badfinger.

Apple was kind enough to license out Lon & Derek Von Eaton's - Brother album with bonus tracks to Cherry Red/RPM label as a separate Remaster release w/comments from Klaus Voorman.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    cwitt1980 and Criminy pete like this.
  21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I thought the slightly longer Rock of All Ages is still only found on the soundtrack album?

Criminy pete and longdist01 like this.
  22. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

The longer version is also featured on the original single but has yet to make an appearance on CD or digitally.

cwitt1980 and longdist01 like this.
  23. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Gave their Head First a major listen yesterday, the Japanese remaster cd.........HUGE disappointment.....I love them, but it was just them going through the motions, no hooks, no memorable lyrics, really nothing of any musical value.....will never spin it again....was hoping for so much more.....not to be.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Couldn't disagree more about Lay Me Down in particular.

Warren Hawk, BeSteVenn and longdist01 like this.
  25. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

that is one song I do say was not bad....I do agree with you on that one...you are correct...sorry, forgot about that one.