PS Audio DirectStream Transport (DST) is new High-End Universal player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by toilet_doctor, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

No, it does not rip and store items, doesn't "copy over" anything. It has a "digital lens" buffer that reads and then plays the discs on the fly so to speak. I really have no way to test it with another DAC (I don't have another DAC any longer) but I imagine this is best used with the DirectStream DAC and indeed this is the only way you get the amazing SACD playback in full DSD (via the coaxial output to other DACs it is converted to PCM before sending to the DAC.

Electric likes this.
  2. Lonson

I have not yet installed the latest firmware but you are supposed to be able to do that now, was not really happening with the first firmware. I'm going to use this 99 percent of the time with Redbook and SACD and haven't explored these other disc formats much at all yet.

3. Lonson

I shipped back my PWT which was the trade-in part of my deal, so I'm keeping the DirectStream Memory Player. . . . Very happy with it's performance with Redbook and SACD. PS Audio has said that because "authoring" of Blu-ray Audio and DVD-A discs is not consistent as far as menus and navigating without a video screen playback of these discs remains problematic and is not going to be improved upon. I'm content that I can put in a Pure Audio Blu-ray Disc and some others, press play and play the entire content sequentially. . . . Others may find that too limiting so this will not replace a Blu-ray player or DVD-A player for them for these discs.

toilet_doctor and Electric like this.
  4. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

So I was correct then when I pointed-out that I strongly doubted the claims that these could play-back other types of high res disks because of exactly these sorts of menu navigation issues.

I sure hope that the player is truly stunning on both Rebook and SACD playback so that it can justify its asking price.

5. Lonson

Believe me, it exceeded my expectations for Redbook and SACD, surprised me at how much better than the PWT it was. And Blu-ray discs do sound superb, and I generally just put discs in and listen all the way through so it serves me well for my purposes. I have a transport now for the coming years, I'm truly set.

I'm going to be buying more SACDs because the sound via I2S/HDMI to the DirectStream DAC is just addictively good.

krlpuretone likes this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Glad to hear it! But don't put off buying your SACDs, because it seems like the release of new titles over the past 6 months has slowed again.

7. Lonson

There are many SACDs for me to buy (though I have quite a few). I'm not as interested in rock titles (in any format) as I am of classical and jazz, and there are many classical SACDs that I can buy, and quite a few at decent prices.

8. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Hey Lonson!

So the DMP won't play DVD-A?
    Do you know when the official release of the DMP will be?

While I'm waiting for release I'm using a coax cable from the the DST to CD player. How much better do you think the sound will be using a I2S cable?

:wave:

Lonson likes this.
  9. Lonson

I don't have very many DVD-As. The one I have tried so far plays, but it only plays by starting at the first track and going all the way through, you cannot select a track. It plays Redbook and SACD with no problems at all and selecting a track is no problem.

Not sure specifically when they will release the production version of the DMP but Paul McGowan said that this coming week they would release a final firmware update to the beta-testes, which will probably then be the production release firmware. This makes me think the production models will be built and sent out shortly thereafter.

The sound will be improved via the I2S/HDMI method. It's not a HUGE difference, but a noticeably subtle one; in my system with my favorite HDMI cable (cables matter in this application, not sure why) there is a bit more detail in the ambiance and micro dynamic aspects of the sound.

10. Electric

I've never intentionally bought a DVD-A, so it's not a huge concern for me, either. I think the remastered David Crosby I have has a second DVD-A disc, and I've always wondered how it would sound. I'm hearing new subtleties with the DST every day since I got it 4 days ago. Looking forward to the combo DST/DMP audio bliss you've been experiencing. :)

11. Lonson

I'm happy you've got this on the horizon. I think my quest is done. Probably going to be selling a lot of audio stuff I have in storage and as part of my hardly-used second system and just enjoy my discs. Even my wife has been really digging the sound lately and commenting about it, and the fact that she even notices is a big deal! I think you'll really enjoy the combo.

12. Lonson

The DirectStream Memory Player has moved beyond beta testing and early pre-ordered units have already shipped and been received.

I'm loving mine. Sound is amazing chez Armstrongs.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  13. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Lonson glad this transport has worked out for you.

As you know I was keen to hear and get the PS Audio DAC. And then when I saw the transport would output DSD via SACD which I have a decent collection of I saw this as something of a dream combo. Part of the dream for me though was the overall price :)

As it turns out that desire led me down a different route so I hope you realise when I post this it is not to derail the thread but to allow others who may dream of this combo realise there is a cheaper alternative path that will do something similar and in some ways offer more flexibility than the PS Audio combo.

Absolutely 100% I have no idea on sonic comparisons but I do know my new DAC has taken the performance levels of my system to another place altogether.

I have an Oppo 105/Bryston BDA-3 combo which allows via HDMI not only SACD's but Blu Ray Audio, DVDA and hi-res downloads to be played at their proper resolution via a much superior DAC. Like yourself I am finding the performance improvement on SACD to be big.

Anyway just for info as I state I am not making a direct comparison merely trying to let the forums know about an alternative.

14. Lonson

Cool, audio enjoyment is audio enjoyment however we find it. There actually was a little mention of and comparison of the Opppo as transport in the beta testing threads on the PS Audio forum. Congrats, great SACD is something else.

15. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

You did first step in the upgrading your system: you added nice DAC and you've got a big improvement.
    When you will upgrade to PS transport (together with cables someday), please do not forget to report on another 30-40% of improvement here. I believe it should be a nice pair. Always loved Bryston gear and now, with their new 'Cubed' amp series love them even more. I considered their monoblocks, but at the time they didn't have 1000 Watt, I needed - now they do and those are amazing pieces with industry lowest distortion (they fit into the reg. audio rack).
    They may consider to make transport too (?) - does not hurt to ask.

16. Electric

My DMP is due to ship tomorrow and while I'm waiting I have an idle question for you Lonson. You have listened to a lot of high end audio players so what I'm wondering is how CDs playing on my Marantz SA-7S1 attached to the DS DAC via coax sound compared to the DMP attached to the DS DAC via I2S?

17. Lonson

I haven't heard the Marantz, closest would be a Marantz BD7004. But I've attached a few other cd players as transports to the PWD Mk 2 in the past and the PWT was a decided improvement. . . and with the DSD DAC since I knew the difference I haven't tried many other players as transports and have had a Denon DVD-A1UDCI Blu-ray player in use only. This flagship Denon has an excellent transport purpose built for the machine by Denon. . .still the PWT sounded better with timing and dynamics, and the DMP improved on both aspects. I think you'll notice an immediate improvement that will increase with break in. Tonal colors will be subtly more clearly portrayed and there's a hard to describe timing improvement that brings out ambiance and cements grooves. And when you get to SACD. . . well, another step up in playback that seems more "real." I"ll be interested to hear your initial and later impressions--I have no doubt you'll immediately notice improvements.

Electric and toilet_doctor like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me" Thread Starter

Happy New Year, guys!

19. Lonson

Back at ya TD, keep the seat down when resting!

20. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Does the BDA3 decode Blue Ray sound if it's in DTS MA or Dolby HD ?
    The Chicago Quadio box set, as far as I know, uses those formats only.....no PCM

21. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it does....Beck's Sea Change is DTS MA/Dolby HD (irc) on Blu Ray but I will check out a few discs and get back.....what I do know 100% that no Blu Ray Audio I've tried has failed via HDMI........but I will as I say check.

22. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Yup it works at the correct resolution via HDMI on DTS -it will play at CD resolution via Coax.......I'm not sure if I have a Dolby HD disc off the top of my head........

23. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Thanks for checking that out :righton:

I really need one of these DACS, though I think I'll concentrate on getting the player first

24. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Can you think of any Dolby HD Blu Rays? I have about 20-25 Blu Ray Audio discs.

25. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have been a PS Audio guy all the way back to the Lambda days, and must say I have the bug to jump on board again with this Direct Stream DAC and transport. It's interesting what PS does on these trades, offering up to $1,800.00 for used stuff, and I looked at the site, if one of my old pieces originally cost that, they give it to you. In essence, they are giving a 30% discount off the list price and I would think most people would certainly want to take advantage of that. At one time they actually offered a buy one, get one FREE, and if memory serves me correctly, it was buy the Perfect Wave Transport, and you get the DAC FREE, or the other way around. PS has some very nice people to work with and they have always been good to me. I recently sold all my really cool old stuff for pennies on the dollar, and now wished I had done a trade deal. I had the DAC, 5.7 Pre-amp, and Delta 200 watt amplifier, as well as the Lambda CD transport. I could have pulled off an $1,800.00 trade on that, and sold it for about $200.00, hind site is always 20/20. I called PS and spoke to a nice sales person and was just asking a few questions, and specifically, what kind of stuff comes in for an $1,800.00 trade? He said, well we see some interesting things, I bet he does indeed! I wonder how this up to $1,800.00 trade thing works when they are giving that amount, what about PS Dealers, do they do the same thing as the factory, I don't know, but it would be interesting to know what their dealers do in this regard.

As I don't have just an extra $12,000.00 sitting on the coffee table and since I just sold all of my older, cool looking PS Audio equipment and have nothing to trade, I asked, how about a buy one, get one FREE for us forum guys that might just want to band together and buy both pieces, thinking they just might go for a one time sale of say 5 or more DACs and 5 or more transports. There would be considerations given I'm sure, but 50% might not be the consideration, but he did not say no! So, does that make any sense to any of you PS Audio fans, do we have an extra $6,000.00 sitting on the coffee table for both the transport and the DAC ? Now wouldn't that be something! :cop:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.