Films which showcase the mid 60s/mod/early psychedelic scene in NYC?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ophelia, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are some good films, made between mid 1965, and mid 1968, which showcase the Mod/early psychedelic scene in NYC?

It need not be a documentary, even an indie film from this period would be appreciated. Preferably a colour film.

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Have you tried YouTube? Saw some awesome swinging 60's London videos on there., thinking there should be some of NY too.....

3. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Midnight Cowboy

Ghostworld and ralphb like this.
  4. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll second Midnight Cowboy.
    To my recollection there was no mod scene in NYC during the time frame you mention. Or at any other time. There was a psychedelic/hippie scene, a drug scene, a street scene, but no mods that I ever saw.

Andy Warhol's Trash came out in 1970, but does a pretty good job of showing how the streets on the lower east side looked at the time.
    I'd also recommend his Chelsea Girls from 1966.

Miriam and mooseman like this.
  5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I second Chelsea Girls.

6. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

Coogan's Bluff maybe? I haven't seen it in a while to say for sure.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Graduate

8. zonkaraz

zonkaraz Forum Resident

I thought that took place in California.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Oh yeah that's right.
    John & Mary.

10. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The movie JOE
    Bill, a wealthy businessman, confronts his junkie daughter's drug-dealing boyfriend; in the ensuing argument, Bill kills him. Panic-stricken, he wanders the streets and eventually stops at a bar. There he runs into a drunken factory worker named Joe, who hates hippies, blacks, and anyone who is "different", and would like to kill one himself. The two start talking, and Bill reveals his secret to Joe.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The Panic in Needle Park is a 1971

12. ralphb

That's more the drug scene than anything else, no music involved that I remember, but still pretty reflective of the time. Great snapshot of NYC.

guy incognito and mooseman like this.
  13. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

14. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I Shot Andy Warhol

It's from the 90s though.

15. Nice Marmot

[​IMG]

After reading this book, I wouldn't equate 60s New York with mod/early psychedelic at all. Instead, I would just think "heroin".

16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That book is mostly '70s.

17. Nice Marmot

The first third is about The Doors, MC5, The Stooges, Warhol (and The Factory), and Velvet Underground.

18. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

The 70's in New York was full of heroin, lower east side was full of junkies everywhere.

19. Nice Marmot

VU released I'm Waiting For The Man on the Velvet Underground and Nico album in 67. The song was recorded as early as 65. When VU toured and ended up on the west coast in 68, Lou Reed considered the whole hippy drug thing a farce because the west coast wasn't into heroin.

mooseman likes this.
  20. ralphb

The 60's in New York had a lot of elements to it as far as youth culture. There was a definite psychedelic /hippy vibe going on, all you had to do was go to The Fillmore or Central Park on the weekend. There were psychedelic dance clubs all over the city. The Monkees opened their clothing/head shop in the West Village in 1967.
    The heavy drug thing in the Warhol crowd mostly came out of the fact that there were a lot of speed freaks around and heroin was the come down of choice. The heroin epidemic didn't really explode until the 1970's, with people lining up to be allowed into tenements to buy smack.

mooseman likes this.
  21. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Remember what Avenue C around 6th street down to 2nd street looked like in the late 70's and early 80's? It was crazy, people lined up down the street waiting to go into the tenements to score their dope. I have a few friends that have passed on because of that epidemic.

jupiter8 and ralphb like this.
  22. ralphb

That whole area was bad. I knew a guy who moved there in the late seventies, in a tenement, and you felt like asking, don't they hand you a gun with your lease? Even going on the relatively safe 2nd Avenue around 1st Street could be risky if the hour was late.
    Williamsburg in the late sixties was also pretty rotten, especially the South Side.

mooseman likes this.
  23. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Hey Ralph, good to see you here :wave:. I'm still here working in the big apple and living in Jersey just across the river. Hope you are doing well.

24. ralphb

I don't think these answers are quite in line with what Ophelia was looking for.:)

25. Nice Marmot

@ralphb and @mooseman

Besides the monkees, who else represents the psychedelic era of this time frame in NY? I always associate that time in NY with Warhol but am unclear how it would go from a folk scene to The Factory. I always associate the hippies to the west coast, as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.