Yes Compilation for a Casual Fan?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chauncey, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this may not make me the most popular SHMF member, but I am only a casual fan of Yes. I like their hits but have never been able to appreciate their albums. I am looking for a compilation of their hits that has mostly single edits. Any suggestions?

2. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Not sure that this is all single edits, but the Highlights CD was a pretty solid comp, covering the early era up thru the 80s material...it was the one I started with, and eventually moved to the 2013 Rhino box set...

Shak Cohen, ARK and Musician95616 like this.
  3. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. Melllvar

Melllvar No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!

Highlights, seconded! Although, if you want a more comprehensive and current collection, 'The Ultimate Yes: 35th Anniversary Collection' would be a good one as well.

puffyrock2, ARK, DiabloG and 2 others like this.
  5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think you'd probably want the album versions anyway, as that's how they were meant to be heard, and any radio edits are undoubtedly hack jobs on these epics pieces of music.

ARK, SirMarc, Tristero and 2 others like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  7. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Agree! Bullmoose usually has most of their early stuff for $2.97 a CD.

jon9091 likes this.
  8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Yes isn't a "poppy" band, but one of the greatest progressive bands of all time. I don't think their catalog really lends itself to a "this and that" hit approach. I would recommend getting two of their albums, that I think are extraordinary: The Yes Album (the one with the green film on the cover) and Fragile. I know I will receive hate mail b/c I didn't include Close to the Edge, which is admittedly a brilliant album, but I think the other two are the place to start, and limiting it to two for the "casual" fan.:)

Crimson jon and qwerty like this.
  9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I was thinking on a similar path, however, Close to the Edge, was my introduction to the band and still my favourite.

11. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00016XNZ...ails?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1476146993&sr=1-3
    This set can be had used for small money and is a well put together set that has all the hits plus some deeper cuts and rarities.

12. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

'
    $16 makes this a no-brainer. Better hurry, though. I have all the albums but might still be scooping one of those myself. :laugh:

Classic Yes is a terrific set, but it always drove me crazy that the version of Roundabout was live. I can see a Peter Frampton best-of opting for the live version of his biggest hit, because the studio version was a non-factor...but the studio version of Roundabout is the one that's the hit! Other than that, I adore this as a 1-disk 70s-only collection. But with so much great stuff in the 80s, that 3-disk collection for short money looks mighty fine.

@Chauncey, I know what you're thinking in terms of leaning toward singles edits, but really, the only significant single edit was Roundabout, which you can check out on YouTube. It's better than some hardcore Yes fans give it credit for, but the full-length version is pretty zippy, as are the long songs from Close to the Edge in particular for my money.

Note that for "I've Seen All Good People" and "Starship Trooper", the singles versions are just the first sections the album versions, no real editing per se. Easy enough to replicate with the "Next" button. :)

Me too! Certainly for anyone thinking that long songs, including side-long songs, may be more Yes than they're up for, Close to the Edge is a revelation. Anything but self-indulgent. I can't think of any 3-song album that's leaner, and it feels leaner than plenty of other albums of the era that had many shorter songs.

qwerty likes this.
  13. Rhythmdoctor

Rhythmdoctor Well-Known Member

Today I bought my first Yes album, Fragile and I'm so pissed I didn't buy a few more. Not only is this band really hooking me right now, I'm very surprised I've never really dove in before. What have I been thinking?!! I love technically proficient instrumental music like Phish, Zappa, Samla Mammas Manna, Dead and I can't believe how good this album is. Super excited for The Yes Album and Close to the Edge now.

Tyler Chastain, ARK and SirMarc like this.
  14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Rhino's budget Flashback label has a compilation called "Roundabout and other Hits" with a few single edits. It covers the band's first decade.
    "Ultimate" and "Definitive" are the same collection (in the US, at least) except that "Ultimate" has a 20-minute bonus disc of new material. Either version is a good, concise overview of the band's career.

CybrKhatru and ARK like this.
  15. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I enjoy:

The Yes Album - 192k download
    Fragile - DVD-A
    Close to the Edge - AFZ147 SACD
    Symphonic Music of Yes - CD
    Very Best Of - CD (not a bad compilation)

btomarra likes this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Better late than never. I'm also a big Zappa fan and dig Samla Mammas as well, along with a lot of other freaky progressives. Along with the mighty King Crimson, Yes at their peak might just represent the gold standard for prog. You're definitely better off with the original studio albums than a comp with a band like this, IMO, and you can't go wrong with the Classic 3 there. Enjoy the ride--I kind of envy you!

SirMarc likes this.
  17. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

"Wonderous Stories - The Best of Yes" was my introduction to the band.

18. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Yesstory or preferably, YesYears.

19. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You're in for a hell of a ride, I kind of envy you too lol. Also, if you haven't already, check out Peter Gabriel era Genesis too. Nursery Cryme through The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is a seriously epic run...

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

That second set is just the first 2 discs of Ultimate Yes. They simply removed the 3rd disc of Ultimate, which was new recordings, not earlier songs.

So from a compilation standpoint, they're the same. I also think it's the best overall Yes compilation, as it's the most comprehensive to date.

ARK likes this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Wholly Christ, how many Yes greatest hits are out there?????????

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Classic Yes... the original. That single disc did the trick for me.

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes, I know.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

25. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Not as many as The Who, but they may be catching up :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.