Any Fans Of The Film Se7en?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Nov 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw the movie when it first came out on DVD. Great film.

2. I also understand that Brad Pitt refused to shoot another ending, which helped a lot in getting the studio to back off.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's my understanding as well. "Se7en" ended up with the "dark ending" not because New Line was brave but because the star put his foot down...

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

One small detail I've always found odd about the film is the fact that a couple of John Doe's "motives" seem to contradict each other. During his monologue in the back seat of the police car, he describes the "pride" victim as: "A woman so ugly on the inside she couldn't bear to go on living if she couldn't be beautiful on the outside." To me, that seems to indicate that he is a believer in the concept of a person's appearance not being important and that "it's what's on the inside that counts".

However, just moments earlier in the film, he describes the "gluttony" victim as: "An obese man, a disgusting man who could barely stand up; a man who if you saw him on the street, you'd point him out to your friends so that they could join you in mocking him; a man, who if you saw him while you were eating, you wouldn't be able to finish your meal." A slight discrepancy, don't you think? :p

5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People Thread Starter

Probably. But one slight detail to remember......He was crazy!!!

enro99, vince and Rocker like this.
  6. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"DETECTIIIIIIIIIVE!"
    Like when Gary Oldman screams, "EVERYONE!" in "The Professional", it's a 'screamed word' to remember!

LEONPROFF likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Yeah, exactly.

I don't believe we can use the "he's a nutbag" defense to excuse all potential storytelling/character inconsistencies, but I think it works to a degree. I understand the confusion about areas such as the ones Rocker mentions or the killing of the "innocent" as a means to an end, but I don't think one can expect perfect mental consistency from someone as clearly mentally disabled as Doe...

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Excellent film:cheers:

9. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Ghostworld, I think you would have made a better John Doe. We had just seen Spacey in Usual Suspects. What was he, the new cookie cutter cunning villain?

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A landmark crime movie! I'm not a fn of Brad Pitt though but the film is so good, that it's not a problem.

11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

"Se7en" was okay, the ending was a bit predictable ("Kill me. I dare you!", "Nuh gunna happen", "Cool story, bro. Here's a box. Guess what's in it LOL", "WTF!", bang, fin).

I prefer "Fight Club" much more.

--Geoff

12. Oatsdad

The ending of "Se7en" was "predictable"??? :eek:

Man, if there's a term I've never heard attached to that film's ending, it's "predictable".

No one saw that specific ending coming. You can argue it was predictable there'd be a showdown, but you couldn't predict the way it'd unfold...

13. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

As soon as Gwinnie announced that she was up the duff it was inevitable that she would die. And when Kevin Spacey said "LOL I bet I can make you kill me" I knew what that Gwinnie's murder would be revealed.

So not "predictable" in the specific "head in a box" ending but it was kinda telegraphed IMHO, even on my first viewing.

--Geoff

14. Oatsdad

I still don't see the ending as predictable, just because it took massive balls for the filmmakers to kill a pregnant women, especially because the movie presented Tracy as such a likable, sympathetic character. It really went against movie conventions to kill her - much less to reveal her murder the way it did.

I certainly don't think Tracy's pregnancy doomed her - if anything, that status should've saved her. Again, it's pretty daring to murder a pregnant character like that...

Rocker likes this.
  15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I thought it was a very involving and downright brave film but for me it's one of those "movies you only ever want to see once". Now FIGHT CLUB otoh...

Radio Jammor and George P like this.
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And Marshall Crenshaw called an album 'What's in the box?'

17. windfall

windfall Senior Member

And just because he's got a library card, doesn't make him Yoda!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've taught this film every year now for about twenty years and I never tire of watching it again with the students. I call it lamb dressed as mutton: a deeply philosophical film disguised as a cop procedural.
    My own favourite line is Somerset's speech about his failed relationship and the termination. 'I know I made the right decision but there's not a day that passes that I don't wish I had made a different choice'.
    that's heavy.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

True. If you want to just do the surface, it's still good.

windfall likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

I can't claim this movie invented the term "nutbag", but 21 years later, I still use it because of "Se7en"! :D

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I agree in that I couldn't have predicted the head in the box ending. But I worked out well before the ending that she had met an unfortunate demise. I wouldn't say it was necessarily obvious but there were little things that added up. Fair enough I was guessing but I did guess right.

But I don't think that changes the impact of that ending because of the way it all went down. Still quite powerful. I remember thinking about the ending quite a bit afterwards.

22. Oatsdad

I honestly can't remember if I thought Tracy would die or not. My gut says I didn't think she would because that violated movie conventions, but given how many movie conventions the film had already violated, maybe I did have an idea she'd been killed.

No way I saw the whole ending coming, though!

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  23. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I thought he had tricked him. That she would end up still being alive, and then he gets locked away for killing Doe.

As for the real ending, I assume that Sommerset would get off on temporary insanity. There is NO jury that would convict him under those circumstances.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

You mean Mills. Sommerset was Freeman's character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.