Time Travel Movies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

me neither if you go into it as pure fantasy...

2. Michael

time travel movies are not meant to be critically analyzed! LOL.

kanakaris likes this.
  3. This is a horrible, horrible movie.

Ghostworld and Deesky like this.
  4. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

It was so confusing that I don't know if it was a horrible movie or I didn't pay enough attention.

5. No, it was a horrible movie. Badly paced, no sense of a narrative build, poor performances. Amateur hour to the extreme. Before I saw it I tried to watch the second movie by the same guy. Equally as bad. Sometimes bad masquerades as indie or "complex" or deep. "Primer" was an example of all three. If you need a chart to explain a movie that I depth, then you've failed.

Solaris likes this.
  6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

7. Yeah it's a very good movie. I enjoyed it.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I saw Time After Time at the theater when it came out. Great one.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

10. Me too. God I feel old.

Holy Diver likes this.
  11. alexpop

Bid Time Return.

BrettyD likes this.
  12. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Prince of Darkness (1987). Even though warning is from 1999.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I used to like this kid's tv show where the traveled back in time in a canoe by paddling through bridge in Central Park! I just loved that idea. Probably a terrible show, but it fired my time-traveling imagination. Something tells me it had something to do with the "Mr. Wizard" show? Maybe I'm dreaming. It was eons ago.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I saw it at the theater too, a few days before the date that Wells travels to in the movie.

Holy Diver likes this.
  15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Love the old TVseries Voyagers! only one season and its cheesy by todays standards but I loved it as a teen

16. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

There's an interesting and tragic idea at the heart of Primer, but I agree that it wasn't executed well. Upstream Color, the director's second feature, is so enamored of its own superficial gloss and deliberately oblique structure that I lost patience with it before the first half hour was up.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. I agree that the concept is good and, indeed, there are some great ideas there as well. It's so poorly executed (and this doesn't come down to "not understanding" or "spoon fed" films that a lot of fans claim to throw against those that don't like it). In the hands of someone like Nolan or the director of "Arrival" this could have been powerful stuff. I agree with you about "Upstream Color" as well. It was naval gazing once again wasting an interesting concept. The guy has some good ideas just no way to executive them effectively.

Watching it reminded me how often skilled directors are under appreciated for their ability to communicate difficult ideas without pandering to an audience. I didn't always like, for example, every Kubrick's films but I always admired his ability to communicate complex ideas AND make the film work dramatically.

Solaris likes this.
  18. I'm sorry, but I am compelled to put this here..... (92 seconds)

19. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

20. alexpop

The Thirteenth Floor( 1999).

Michael likes this.
  21. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I hate to take all the fun out of this thread; but a "time travel" search under "plots" in IMDB yields 734 titles, movies and TV episodes-- all with detailed plot descriptions.

They miss Prince of Darkness, though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    alexpop likes this.
  22. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

I completely disagree. First time I watched it, I was bored and confused for the first half hour, then riveted for the rest of it. Watched it several times since then. Love it. And I like that it's completely free of the cliches of contemporary movies.

23. alexpop

All the fun"
    Time travel ?
    You can dip into this forums Past for some great threads, if you've got the inclination.

24. Michael

enjoyed that one!

25. Michael

[​IMG]
    fabulous!!!

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.