Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2016-2017 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Looking forward to seeing her sing and dance in the new musical La La Land. She's winning awards for it.

Dudley Morris and chacha like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Kind of a pointless challenge from Baldwin. Even if Baldwin drops his Trump impersonation, someone else on the show will play Trump instead - it's not like "SNL" promised they wouldn't spoof Trump ever again...

3. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Yes, Of Monsters and Men. I liked the numbers they did on the show and downloaded more of their stuff. Only band I can think of since the 70s that I ever noted on the show.

4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Arcade Fire really caught my fancy when I first saw them on SNL.

5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Not sure where you are going with that post of yours but "pointless" comes to mind.

6. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Chance has also visited the White House 3 times this year. President Obama: "Chance, I’ve known for years ’cause his dad was my state director when I was a senator in Illinois. I first met Chance when he was eight years old." So the guy has some connections. :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Courtney Barnett for me (last show of the 2015-2016 season).

DLant and woody like this.
  8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Baldwin's Trump parody is on par with Chevy Chase's fumbling Ford, Dana Carvey's Bush "na gonna doit", Phil Hartman's 'behind the scenes' Reagan,etc. In other words, overblown caricatures. Bush and Carvey actually became friends because of Dana's satire. As far as the current situation, just employ the old suggestion on what to do if you can't take a joke. :D

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Earlier this year it was Margo Price for me.

DLant and Canadacrowe like this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You...you do know that the xx have been around for years, that their last album was a Top 5 hit on the Billboard Top 200, and that their debut won the Mercury Prize, right? Because it seems like you think no one has ever heard of them.

11. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Based on the 2 songs they played on SNL, it seems that bar is set low these days.

Deano6 and Alfie Noakes like this.
  12. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Emma's always spot on with her lines in the bits, a real pro. Wish I could say the same for some of the cast member, who appear to just stare off stage at their cue cards (Kyle, I'm lookin at you)

13. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Tonight's (12/10 eastern time zone) show mistakenly cut to a commercial right after the "Live from New York " line and returned back to the intro after about 10 seconds.

14. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Same here! I thought it was just a stupid affiliate thing.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw it too and couldn't figure out what was going on. Thanks for the info.

16. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I should've worked on my finals...

MikaelaArsenault and zebop like this.
  17. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Best episode in awhile this week. This was huge for John Cena and he really came through and will now likely follow the same road Dwayne Johnson is on.

CBC likes this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Tooth Fairy? :)

19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I thought Cena was pretty bad. He's just missing something that the Rock has in terms of comedy.

It didn't help that was wearing a football jersey in 3 of the sketches.

But the writing and production of the live sketches was off a lot in this episode - even Bryan Craston couldn't save his sketch.

Now everything else I've seen Cena in he was good, especially on the TV show Psych.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I think Cena was fine as a performer. He was clearly game for anything. That being said, the writers let him down. This was my least favorite episode of this season. Nearly every sketch was a disappointment. It's been a while since they had an episode where Weekend Update was the only thing I laughed at, but that was the case last night.

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Cena was a scene stealer in "Trainwreck".

22. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Quite a peak performance for him in that one :D

23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Cena's arms looked friggin' huge.

24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I enjoyed the return of "Dyke and Fats"! :)

Hightops and CBC like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

There have been a few good episodes this seasons with the new writers. There were no laugh out loud moments for me with this one, but I do like the ensemble cast overall and there seem to be fewer really bad skits this season for me. Even the one's I don't like, I can usually see why others do, which is better than last season in many cases. What I just don't get, and maybe I'm just not the right demo, are the bands. They are horrible to laughingly bad for the most part, imo. I think last weekend's band at least made real music, it just wasn't my thing, and that is much different. But most of others, I don't know how they are getting on the show. Do "name" bands just not want to do SNL anymore, or are they just too expensive? Or, am I just totally out of it?

CBC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.